RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,459
Posts: 5,508,770
Members: 25,132
Currently online: 512
Newest member: Commander Balok

TrekToday headlines

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 23 2013, 01:29 PM   #1
Yuletide Caroler
Rear Admiral
 
Yuletide Caroler's Avatar
 
Location: A ship of Ancient Mariner's festive imagination.
View Yuletide Caroler's Twitter Profile
Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

Cosmos - A Space Time Odyssey follows in the footsteps of Carl Sagan's series from more than thirty years ago. The series is produced by Seth McFarlane (yes, that Seth McFarlane) and is hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson. First trailer is here ...

... show will premiere in 2014

__________________
Yuletide Caroler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 04:26 PM   #2
Mysterion
Rear Admiral
 
Mysterion's Avatar
 
Location: SB-31, Daran V
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

Cool trailer, great visuals. But, as much as I like Neil deGrasse Tyson, he ain't no Carl Sagan. He's got a big pair of shoes to fill here.
__________________
USS Galileo Galilei, NCC-8888
Prima Inter Pares
Mysterion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 04:28 PM   #3
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral
 
auntiehill's Avatar
 
Location: hillsville
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

I look forward to seeing this, but I admit I'm a bit wary about it being on FOX and not on PBS or Discovery.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 05:47 PM   #4
Data Holmes
Admiral
 
Data Holmes's Avatar
 
Location: Thank you for smoking!
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

auntiehill wrote: View Post
I look forward to seeing this, but I admit I'm a bit wary about it being on FOX and not on PBS or Discovery.
He talks about that here



I know I can't wait, and have been looking forward to this show for a few years now.
__________________
Nick Naylor: My job requires a certain... moral flexibility.

Last edited by Data Holmes; July 23 2013 at 05:59 PM.
Data Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 07:13 PM   #5
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747
 
Ugly Sweater's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

Fox DOES have other show creators besides Seth McFarlane, right?
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Ugly Sweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 08:07 PM   #6
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral
 
FPAlpha's Avatar
 
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

Mysterion wrote: View Post
Cool trailer, great visuals. But, as much as I like Neil deGrasse Tyson, he ain't no Carl Sagan. He's got a big pair of shoes to fill here.
Oh i think deGrasse Tyson can fill anyone's shoes. He has that unique talent of presenting hard science facts so everybody can understand them and he does so in a very entertaining way.

He's got a great sense of humor and you can practically feel his love of science and the passion he has.

I'd really like to meet him and talk science.. that would be a day and i'll definitely check out this show.
__________________
"Zhu Li Moon.. will you do the thing for the rest of our lives?" Varrick
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 08:09 PM   #7
Santa Claus
Believe
 
Santa Claus's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's Rooftop
Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Fox DOES have other show creators besides Seth McFarlane, right?
I'm sure they do, but Seth is probably one of the best faces of FOX right now.
__________________
---------
"I believe... I believe... It's silly, but I believe." - Susan Walker
---------
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 08:51 PM   #8
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS
 
The Scrooge Doctor's Avatar
 
Location: Emh
Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

I can't wait to watch this.

I really need to rewatch the old Carl Sagan series. I haven't seen it since I was a kid. It's on DVD, right?
__________________
"Eccleston was a tiger and Tennant was, well, Tigger. Smith [is] an uncoordinated housecat who pretends that he meant to do that after falling off a piece of furniture." - Lynne M. Thomas

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 08:54 PM   #9
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral
 
Rķu rķu, chķu's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

So how does Tyson say "billions and billions"?
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Rķu rķu, chķu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 09:23 PM   #10
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral
 
Owain Taggart's Avatar
 
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
Mysterion wrote: View Post
Cool trailer, great visuals. But, as much as I like Neil deGrasse Tyson, he ain't no Carl Sagan. He's got a big pair of shoes to fill here.
Oh i think deGrasse Tyson can fill anyone's shoes. He has that unique talent of presenting hard science facts so everybody can understand them and he does so in a very entertaining way.

He's got a great sense of humor and you can practically feel his love of science and the passion he has.

I'd really like to meet him and talk science.. that would be a day and i'll definitely check out this show.

Yeah, if anybody can followup Carl Sagan, it's Tyson. He's a great choice for this.

My Dad pointed out that he even sounds like Sagan at the start of the trailer.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 09:35 PM   #11
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist
 
Wereghost's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

Emh wrote: View Post
I can't wait to watch this.

I really need to rewatch the old Carl Sagan series. I haven't seen it since I was a kid. It's on DVD, right?
Yes, and it's still marvellous.
__________________
Time is the boss of me.
Wereghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 10:08 PM   #12
Yuletide Caroler
Rear Admiral
 
Yuletide Caroler's Avatar
 
Location: A ship of Ancient Mariner's festive imagination.
View Yuletide Caroler's Twitter Profile
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

Wereghost wrote: View Post
Emh wrote: View Post
I can't wait to watch this.

I really need to rewatch the old Carl Sagan series. I haven't seen it since I was a kid. It's on DVD, right?
Yes, and it's still marvellous.
Agreed. I still watch the series once a year. Uplifting stuff.

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
Mysterion wrote: View Post
Cool trailer, great visuals. But, as much as I like Neil deGrasse Tyson, he ain't no Carl Sagan. He's got a big pair of shoes to fill here.
Oh i think deGrasse Tyson can fill anyone's shoes. He has that unique talent of presenting hard science facts so everybody can understand them and he does so in a very entertaining way.

He's got a great sense of humor and you can practically feel his love of science and the passion he has.

I'd really like to meet him and talk science.. that would be a day and i'll definitely check out this show.
I completely agree about Tyson. If anything, this interview (below) he did with Stephen Colbert convinced me. That, and his StarTalk Radio series.

As for FOX - I have no doubts that Seth McFarlane, along with Tyson and Ann Druyan (who helped write the original Cosmos series) will create a show worthy of Sagan's legacy.

__________________
Yuletide Caroler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 10:45 PM   #13
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

Tyson may not be as eloquent or poetic as Sagan, but his passion and enthusiasm for science still make him a very good spokesman, I think.

I just wish he would speak out more on the quacks and pseudoscience out there like Sagan did. He'll make a passing comment now and then, but you sense him always holding back and trying not to offend too many people.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 12:12 AM   #14
Yuletide Caroler
Rear Admiral
 
Yuletide Caroler's Avatar
 
Location: A ship of Ancient Mariner's festive imagination.
View Yuletide Caroler's Twitter Profile
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

Have you seen this video? It's a pretty clear condemnation of turning to religion in the context of science research, discovery and education:

__________________
Yuletide Caroler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 08:36 AM   #15
T J
Commodore
 
T J's Avatar
 
Location: milky way... there abouts
Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

That trailer has brought boundless joy to my heart!
__________________
One of the great revelations of space exploration is
the image of the earth, finite and lonely bearing the entire human species through the oceans of space and time. ~ Carl Sagan (1934-1996)

Last edited by T J; July 24 2013 at 09:11 AM.
T J is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.