Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old July 19 2013, 02:36 PM   #1
Mareika
Commander

Robert beltran on stage

To all who lives near Denver:

Robert will be on stage again
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Su-Te...c/432850465267

The theatre will also show "Luminarias" and Robert will participate at the panel before the screening of "Luminarias"
http://myemail.constantcontact.com/L...id=vc7HDJn_MAU

I wish I could be there. Luminarias is such a great movie and watching it together with RB would be awsome.
Mareika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 04:37 AM   #2
propita
Rear Admiral

Re: Robert beltran on stage

My husband drove 250 miles for the weekend to take me to see The Big Knife some years back.

Yes, Beltran can act, contrary to what some think. He was just fine. And, yes, when his back was to my section of the audience, I did find myself staring at his butt. And, yes, my husband caught me doing that. Many times.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 04:52 AM   #3
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

What's his butt like?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 06:38 AM   #4
R. Star
Rear Admiral

The Chakotay character did have glimmers of greatness. I always got the impression that Beltran was oft disgruntled because of his limited role and was just coasting most of those seven years. I mean hey.. for the first three seasons it was the Janeway show, then when it did expand it was the Janeway/Doctor/Seven show the rest of the run.

I mean the old saying was, you don't have to be the fastest guy to escape the bear in the woods. You just have to be more quick than the slowest guy. Which was Harry Kim.
Old July 20 2013, 09:25 AM   #5
Katie O'Clare
Lieutenant

I did also see glimpses of greatness. Especially his emotional breakdown in Coda
Can you say wow.....?! IIRC it made me weep when I watched the episode for the first time. And despite I think Tattoo was a so-so episode, I LOVED it when he got nakey nakey mmmmmhhhmmmm
But yes I would like to hear more about his butt as well!!!
Katie O'Clare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 01:29 PM   #6
Jiangnan Freak
Lieutenant

He wa proably subdued because he was not allowed to upstage Mulgrew.

Remember:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0D9C5R4kTc
Jiangnan Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 02:38 PM   #7
teacake
Admiral

What exactly are we supposed to remember about that?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old July 20 2013, 07:28 PM   #8
propita
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
What's his butt like?
Well, he WAS wearing slacks. But he was pretty trim then, so he looked nice.

And I'm pretty sure he was using a body double in Tattoo. He seems to have a much squarer frame than what was shown.
Old July 23 2013, 01:39 PM   #9
KaraBear
Captain

Over the many years that I've been going to conventions and reading interview transcripts, the story about Beltran seems to be that he thought that right off the bat he would be a huge characte, that he would have a lot more lines and a much bigger part. When that didn't happen he was upset and started to badmouth the show. At which point the writers got upset and didn't write as much for him. This made him more upset and he badmouthed the show even more, and the writers wrote even less, and so on and so on. Beltran himself said that he stopped reading scripts. You can see that in most of his scenes he's looking at a console, or reading a padd or something like that, because his lines are written on that object. IMO he was very unprofessional. Yes I believe he was entitled to his opinion, if he didn't like the show he didn't like the show. But I think that while he was still working on the show and collecting money he should have been more diplomatic about it.
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 04:41 PM   #10
Katie O'Clare
Lieutenant

True to that..once the show ended he could talk as much crap as he wanted but while they were still shooting..hmm..not so considerate of him I think...and not very professional.

However I thought the charakter Chakotay had much more potential than what they gave him. They could have elaborated the Marquis situation more and the conflict and what not...IMHO he pretty much left the angry warrier behind with the Liberty, when he beamed on Voyager at the end of Caretaker...
Old July 23 2013, 05:35 PM   #11
propita
Rear Admiral

Well, he WAS a tactician. Between that and his Maquis experience, he should have had a lot more input during battles and so forth. But Janeway wasn't supposed to look weak, that she needed anyone's advice--regardless of those long-ass meetings that Picard always had before doing stuff. I blame it on the studio, as usual.
Old July 23 2013, 06:22 PM   #12
KaraBear
Captain

There were several times where he tried to make suggestions to Janeway but she usually shut him down.

I think that part of that was since Janeway was a woman there would be a tricky area of he always was like well I think you should do this. Janeway needed to be shown as a strong woman who didn't need a man giving her suggestions all the time.

his maquis experience might actually be a hinderance to Janeway durring battles. Maquis do things very differently than Starfleet
Old July 23 2013, 09:07 PM   #13
Katie O'Clare
Lieutenant

Yea but Janeway became a bit more human and approchable after the producers let KM do her job and they didnt tell her what not to do anymore...They should have let her loose from the beginning...she was really stiff and "too strong" sometimes. I loved the scenes when she let her guard down when she was talking to Kes. Those shouldnt have been the only times she showed some "weakness"...And personally, I dont think taking advice or considering others advice is a weakness...it shows rather that you are not too stoic and stubborn and are willing to go out of your way...thats rather a strong trait. And it shouldnt matter if you're a man or a woman or the first female starship captain for that matter. But now I'm drifting off..so back to Chakotay...I think he should have been more angry and persistent and successful in trying to oppose Janeway. You know...heated arguments like in Skopion...
Old July 24 2013, 01:32 PM   #14
KaraBear
Captain

I think if he had had more of those moments it would make Janeway look weak
Old July 24 2013, 01:57 PM   #15
teacake
Admiral

You never saw Kirk growing all soft and misty and touching people's shoulders.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne