The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 23 2013, 05:10 AM   #271
MOSUGOJI
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Godzilla 2014: Rumors, Pix and filming

Christopher wrote: View Post
Oh, that explains it. I have animated images turned off by default in my browser, because I find them too distracting.

Judging from the footage, he looks good -- but it seems like they're not using The Roar, the trademark "skreeonk." (Which should really be more like "skreeeee-eeee-eeee-eeee-eeee-aw-wonk" if you ask me.) It's just not Godzilla without The Roar.
and don't forgent his variant roar first used in King Kong vs Godzilla- AAROOOAAAAH VEEERUMMM!
MOSUGOJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 01:35 PM   #272
Christopher
Writer

^Sorry, I don't recognize that one from the onomatopoeia.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 03:30 PM   #273
Captain_Amasov
Captain

I must have missed this one before, but according to this interview the new Godzilla film is an origin story for the monster:

And this is a "Godzilla" origin story?
Yeah, it's an origin story. I mean, I think those moments in films where everyone learns about these monsters, you know, it's very difficult moments to show on camera. And especially when you have multiple characters. So, I think we've been very careful. I hope we have in the way that we portrayed that. And you know, you can't help but reference events like September 11th and the tsunami.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...usaolp00000003
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 03:34 PM   #274
Gojira
Commodore

^ Yes, this movie is to reboot the franchise. I wouldn't call it a remake of the 54 movie but it is going on the premise that Godzilla has never been seen before.

Here is the head of the new Godzilla...this is part of the lighting experiments that they did.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old July 23 2013, 04:13 PM   #275
Captain_Amasov
Captain

I'm glad they didn't go with the "T-Rex" looking head.

Incidentally, I came across this while watching the Godzilla Encounter thing on youtube:

I actually didn't realise they'd been quite so many tests done, and that's only up to 1998.
Old July 23 2013, 04:50 PM   #276
Gojira
Commodore

Captain_Amasov wrote: View Post
I'm glad they didn't go with the "T-Rex" looking head.

Incidentally, I came across this while watching the Godzilla Encounter thing on youtube:

I actually didn't realise they'd been quite so many tests done, and that's only up to 1998.
I didn't know there had been so many tests either! I guess the movie does have many tests to go on!
Old July 26 2013, 02:12 AM   #277
Captain_Amasov
Captain

What might we expect if there was ever a sequel?

Discussing a potential sequel to his upcoming "Godzilla" reboot, director Gareth Edwards stated, “With the exception of the 1954 original, I would say my second favorite film is Destroy All Monsters. I just love the idea of a monster island. Having a world with these creatures in it. I find that fascinating and would like to treat that realistically. I wouldn’t want to limit it to one other foe, I think it’s more fun to – this question will come back to haunt me if we ever do a sequel – but I think multiple creatures make better movies in terms of the image of Gojira.”
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=84202
Old July 26 2013, 06:12 PM   #278
The Creeper
Commodore

Not loving the design, nor even liking it. *My* Godzilla looks like the top middle here... http://i2.squidoocdn.com/resize/squi...illa_faces.jpg

Judging from the footage, he looks good -- but it seems like they're not using The Roar, the trademark "skreeonk." (Which should really be more like "skreeeee-eeee-eeee-eeee-eeee-aw-wonk" if you ask me.) It's just not Godzilla without The Roar.
Yet another reason to pass on this outing. Good thing I liked Pacific Rim cause I don't think I am going to get my monster fix fulfilled with this one.
The Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 06:21 PM   #279
_C_
Commander

^Funny, 'my' Godzilla is the Heisei era Goji. He's just...cute...to me!
Old July 26 2013, 06:21 PM   #280
Christopher
Writer

The Keeper wrote: View Post
Yet another reason to pass on this outing. Good thing I liked Pacific Rim cause I don't think I am going to get my monster fix fulfilled with this one.
I don't think it's a reason to pass at all. A work can have imperfections yet still be worthwhile. And there's no telling whether what we saw and heard in the Comic-Con presentation accurately reflects what will be in the final film anyway. It's far too premature to judge whether the film will be worthwhile.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 06:40 PM   #281
The Creeper
Commodore

I know. My optimism has taken a hit but there is still room for hope.

Hopefully the teasers/trailers will give me reason to feel good about it - like the portrayal of his attitude. If they manage to recapture his IQ in a way I loved about him before then that may help me overlook its apparent shortcomings in other areas.
Old July 26 2013, 07:42 PM   #282
Captain_Amasov
Captain

IO9 interviewed Edwards recently:

You have a strong political subtext in your previous movie Monsters. Did you deal with any of the politics from the original Godzilla movie?
Godzilla is a metaphor for Hiroshima in the original movie. We tried to keep that, and there are a lot of themes from '54 movie that we've kept. To me, if all we did was just have monsters smashing things up, then the film would be pointless. The great thing about the 1954 Godzilla is that beyond the spectacle and epic enjoyment of seeing giant monsters smashing a city, there's another layer to the movie that you could take or leave.

In our film, Godzilla represents a force of nature. The theme of man vs. nature creeps up a lot visually throughout the film.

What do you mean? Like climate change?
It's not specifically climate change or anything. We tap into nuclear themes within our film — that's at the heart of the film. But it's more about the power of nature, and how we sometimes abuse that power. Godzilla is a symbol of nature coming back to put us in our place, to restore the balance or however you want to define it. Films like this are powerful when you feel like you deserve what's coming. It's not just a fantasy. Deep inside you feel like we've been asking for this — it's been a long time coming. As crazy as all these events are, subconsciously it feels true that this could happen.

My favorite horror films are ones where characters feel guilt, and have it coming to them. Humanity has abused its position in the world and I think that Godzilla represents a force — not quite of retribution, but a force of putting things back to right.

Does an American kaiju represent something different than a Japanese one? Does it have to be set in Japan to tell this story?
It's important that part of the film took place in Japan, but it's very much a global story. The whole idea was that it would be a sort of origin story, and you can't do that without Japan.
Full interview here: http://io9.com/godzilla-director-gareth-edwards-explains-the-symbolism-902734240
Old July 27 2013, 01:28 AM   #283
MOSUGOJI
Lieutenant Commander

The only thing that I find somewhat odd on that head model is the strange jagged cheek ridge. At least it looks like they abandoned the snaggle toothed look from that other head model.
MOSUGOJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 03:16 AM   #284
Gojira
Commodore

The Keeper wrote: View Post
Not loving the design, nor even liking it. *My* Godzilla looks like the top middle here... http://i2.squidoocdn.com/resize/squi...illa_faces.jpg

The designs I posted are supposed to be close to the final design, but in all honesty the final design has not been seen yet.
Old July 27 2013, 03:49 AM   #285
The Creeper
Commodore

Sorry I brought my overtly dark cloud into this.

I suppose they are walking a tight rope here trying to design a little bit of everyone's favorite appearance into him.

Looking back on the pics, that one of the frontal facial view with the lines through it, that is my favorite Godzilla face, for the most part.