MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old July 22 2013, 07:31 PM   #1
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
How Long Until BBC America Co-Production Happens?

Today, BBC America announced they are coproducing Atlantis, the new sci-fi series from Howard Overman (Misfits) and Julian Murphy and Johnny Capps (Merlin).

Ripper Street is a BBC America coproduction. Sherlock is a WGBH/Masterpiece coproduction.

Even An Adventure in Time and Space is a coproduction with BBC America.

How long until Doctor Who becomes a full, rather than an episode-by-episode, coproduction between BBC Wales and BBC America? Series 8?

It's going to happen. It's really only a question of when.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 07:36 PM   #2
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: How Long Until BBC America Co-Production Happens?

Don't get me wrong, I think American tv is the best in the world. But if Torchwood's American co-production is anything to go by, I hope the answer to your question is 'never.'
Old July 22 2013, 07:43 PM   #3
MacLeod
Admiral

^I think the biggest problem with MD is not that it was a co-production. But the story couldn't really support a 10 part series. I think it would have worked far better as a a 5-parter much like Children of Earth
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 07:58 PM   #4
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Agreed. But I think it was 10 parts - as oppose to the 5 parter COE, made for the UK market - because that's closer to the length US tv shows tend to run for.

If they can make a 26 part DW series that maintains the quality, I'd have no problem with a co-production.
Old July 22 2013, 08:47 PM   #5
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^Agreed. But I think it was 10 parts - as oppose to the 5 parter COE, made for the UK market - because that's closer to the length US tv shows tend to run for.

If they can make a 26 part DW series that maintains the quality, I'd have no problem with a co-production.
And the other problem is the channel Miracle Day was a Co-Production with. Starz is a Pay Channel, just like Showtime or HBO, and has no relationship to BBC. BBCAmerica is actually part of BBC Corporation, right? So, they're the American sibling.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 08:50 PM   #6
Relayer1
Commodore

Don't get me wrong, I think American tv is the best in the world.
You do realise that the rest of the world only gets to see the very very best of American TV ? The majority of it isn't exactly impressive. Some of it is even worse than we get in the UK...
Old July 23 2013, 04:29 AM   #7
Mitty
Vice Admiral

I prefer to pretend that MD never happened. In fact I'm not really sure what you're all referring to here, I'm sticking my fingers in my ears and singing LALALALALALALALALALALALA.

But seriously I've never seen a bigger muff. Seriously.
Old July 23 2013, 04:39 AM   #8
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

^^Then you've never seen Galactica 1980?
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 09:49 AM   #9
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
You do realise that the rest of the world only gets to see the very very best of American TV ? The majority of it isn't exactly impressive. Some of it is even worse than we get in the UK...
Yes, I am well aware that we get to see the best of US tv, thank you. We also get to see some of the bad too. But the output of the HBOs, Showtimes, etc. outweigh the bad for me.
Old July 23 2013, 10:14 AM   #10
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Micacle Day's problem was that it was set in America. The charm of Torchwood was seeing all those high-concept TV tropes playing out in Cardiff. Transplant that to America and it just gets lost in shuffle.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 12:33 PM   #11
Relayer1
Commodore

Yes, I am well aware that we get to see the best of US tv, thank you. We also get to see some of the bad too. But the output of the HBOs, Showtimes, etc. outweigh the bad for me.
I can't argue with that.

In defence of UK TV I would point out that I think Sherlock is extraordinary and I doubt that it could have come from anywhere else !
Old July 23 2013, 12:35 PM   #12
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Micacle Day's problem was that it was set in America. The charm of Torchwood was seeing all those high-concept TV tropes playing out in Cardiff. Transplant that to America and it just gets lost in shuffle.
Nah, it could've been fine set in America if Starz hadn't demanded double the episodes and Rex had been played more enjoyable (And upping the sex didn't help, the first scene was completely gratuitous, the second scene had a purpose so would've been fine in isolation)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 02:33 PM   #13
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I can't argue with that.

In defence of UK TV I would point out that I think Sherlock is extraordinary and I doubt that it could have come from anywhere else !
There is some excellent British tv. Sherlock, as you say, DW, much of Ricky Gervaise's output from The Office onwards, a lot of Graham Linehan's stuff (Father Ted, Black Books, The IT Crowd etc), Garrow's Law, The Hour, Wallander (based on Swedish novels, admittedly), Torchwood, The Fall, Appropriate Adult and many more.

I just think that having given us The Sopranos, Mad Men, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones (its international cast notwithstanding), 24, Lost, Prison Break, Ray Donovan, The Wire, Treme, BSG and countless others, the US wins hands down.
Old July 23 2013, 06:29 PM   #14
Newspaper Taxi
Captain

Maybe once that happens we'll be able to have 12 episodes and a Christmas special in the same calendar year again? Apparently the BBC alone can't do that anymore. : (
Old July 23 2013, 06:54 PM   #15
The Wormhole
Admiral

Newspaper Taxi wrote: View Post
Maybe once that happens we'll be able to have 12 episodes and a Christmas special in the same calendar year again? Apparently the BBC alone can't do that anymore. : (
The split season thing was Moffat's call. It wouldn't matter if the show were a co-production or not, as long as Moffat's calling the shots the split seasons are staying.