RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,825
Currently online: 534
Newest member: NX3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 23 2013, 06:06 AM   #16
SpaceCadetJuan
Ensign

View SpaceCadetJuan's Twitter Profile
Re: Titan eBook novella coming

I've been a fan of Mr. Miller since his day of contributing to the Comics Buyers Guide-- it's been cool to see him make the jump from covering genre projects to producing them.
SpaceCadetJuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 06:56 AM   #17
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

View CaptainDonovin's Twitter Profile

JJMiller wrote: View Post
Thanks for the kind words! I'm a lifelong Trek fan, and I was really happy to get the opportunity to do this. The novella is kind of a way to get acclimated to writing in the milieu, but I'd be interested in doing more.
Welcome to the jungle JJM

Really looking forward to this, love Titan & can't wait to see what you've got up uour sleeve.
Old July 23 2013, 09:22 AM   #18
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

Unlike most of the others here, I have never heard of Mr Miller or read any of his books. But you all seem to like him so I'm happy to give him a try, and any new Titan is always good news.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 09:49 AM   #19
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

lvsxy808 wrote: View Post
Unlike most of the others here, I have never heard of Mr Miller or read any of his books.
Same her to be honest.

My Star Wars Lit experience pretty much entails reading Deathtroopers by Joe Schreiber and I think I read the TPM novelization over a decade ago.

Anyway, I'm toying with the idea to get "Star Wars Lost Tribe of the Sith: The Collected Stories to get a feeling for JJM's writing, so I have a question for those more in the know:

It seems like those stories are stand-alonish, although they seem to be a prequel to a novel series. Am I understanding that right, or would you say it wouldn't make much sense to read that book without knowing Fate of the Jedi?
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 12:13 PM   #20
Relayer1
Commodore

Thanks, everyone. Can't guarantee how often I can make the rounds on the boards, but I'm glad to be here. I took my first stab at Trek with a TNG-era Scotty story I sent into Strange New Worlds way back in 2000; if I'd kept at it, I might have done something like this sooner. But I'm glad to have the chance now!
Welcome aboard ! It would be good if you can find the time to post occasionally, whether or not you've got anything due out.

You might want to contact the moderators regarding getting a 'Writer' tag on your posts !
Old July 23 2013, 02:31 PM   #21
Chris McCarver
Lieutenant Commander

Welcome aboard, looking forward to seeing the book.
Chris McCarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 03:01 PM   #22
Julio Angel Ortiz
Fleet Captain

Defcon wrote: View Post
lvsxy808 wrote: View Post
Unlike most of the others here, I have never heard of Mr Miller or read any of his books.

Anyway, I'm toying with the idea to get "Star Wars Lost Tribe of the Sith: The Collected Stories to get a feeling for JJM's writing, so I have a question for those more in the know:

It seems like those stories are stand-alonish, although they seem to be a prequel to a novel series. Am I understanding that right, or would you say it wouldn't make much sense to read that book without knowing Fate of the Jedi?
You don't need to know anything about the Fate of the Jedi series to read Lost Tribe. The stories collection provides a backstory (set over the course of 5,000+ years) for the Lost Tribe of the Sith and what makes them different from other takes on the concept.

ETA: And like I mentioned earlier, having read it, I definitely recommend the collection.
Old July 23 2013, 03:14 PM   #23
Defcon
Rear Admiral

Thanks for the input. I think I will give it a try the next time I'm out of stuff to read.
Old July 23 2013, 04:23 PM   #24
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Welcome to the board, John. I'm always interested in seeing a new author's take on Star Trek. Don't leave in suspense too long over the plot.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 05:24 PM   #25
Julio Angel Ortiz
Fleet Captain

Thanks for the input. I think I will give it a try the next time I'm out of stuff to read.
So, if you're like me, that will be sometime around 2048?
Old July 23 2013, 05:29 PM   #26
Defcon
Rear Admiral

Julio Angel Ortiz wrote: View Post
So, if you're like me, that will be sometime around 2048?
Theoretically? Yes.

But I think I'll be able to fit it in sometime before the Titan eBook.
Old July 23 2013, 05:46 PM   #27
Chris McCarver
Lieutenant Commander

For those looking for more of his stuff, he's also written quite a few comics in the past decade, mostly Star Wars and Mass Effect titles for Dark Horse, plus a Crimson Dynamo series and a 13-issue run on Iron Man for Marvel in 2004.
Chris McCarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 09:13 PM   #28
Man of Steel
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Man of Steel Send a message via Yahoo to Man of Steel

Thanks, everyone. Can't guarantee how often I can make the rounds on the boards, but I'm glad to be here. I took my first stab at Trek with a TNG-era Scotty story I sent into Strange New Worlds way back in 2000; if I'd kept at it, I might have done something like this sooner. But I'm glad to have the chance now!

I have your Star Wars E Book 8 part series (Is it 6 I forgot?) I just got your I kenobi book courtesy of Amazon Vine.. My first Star Wars book I own.
Old July 23 2013, 11:12 PM   #29
JJMiller
Writer

View JJMiller's Twitter Profile

Lost Tribe was eight e-book short stories that we then bundled and added a novella to. They're as stand-alone as it gets in the Star Wars world.

For my take on the 22nd century closer to our stellar home, I have a new SF series of my own, Overdraft -- physical book just came out today, ebook already available. There's also a little short story prequel here. It's a little lighter-hearted than my Trek or Wars approach, but the science is definitely of a Trek vein.
JJMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 12:12 AM   #30
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

I'm certain I've read some Mr. Miller's comics, but I can't recall for certain (I'm pretty certain I have those Iron Man issues). I've been toying with picking up Lost Tribe but have so much of a backlog. I am eagerly anticipating Kenobi, though.

This sounds great, though. I've finally started reading the Titan novels and am eager for more.