Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old July 23 2013, 02:35 AM   #1
Infern0
Captain

Terrible News, Abrahms might be quitting Star Wars to return to Trek!

If the rumours on the IGN front page are true.

apparently Abrahms as thrown a hissy fit over Star Wars being shot in the UK, and wanted production moved to L.A so he could be near his family. WHAT!

Anyway they rightfully told him that wasn't happening and so now he might quit Star Wars and just stick with Trek.

Worst thing that can happen imo, he's perfect for Star Wars. He did good with Star Trek 09, Into Darkness was passable but for the next one I want someone who can write an intelligent story, something that makes you think.
Old July 23 2013, 02:49 AM   #2
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Re: Terrible News, Abrahms might be quitting Star Wars to return to Tr

Christ. I am so sick of this anti-Abrams stuff. Will you guys just get over it? The man and his team successfully revived a DEAD franchise.

If he does or doesn't direct the next Star Wars and does return to Trek, or whatever happens, we should be thanking him for making Star Trek globally popular again. Making a movie is not easy. Making a big budget movie is not easy. Plenty of people do it and the movies flop. Abrams delivered two qualified successes. Can we just be grateful and stop with the "ZOMG this is TERRIBLE!" stuff?
Old July 23 2013, 02:55 AM   #3
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Infern0 wrote: View Post
If the rumours on the IGN front page are true.

apparently Abrahms as thrown a hissy fit over Star Wars being shot in the UK, and wanted production moved to L.A so he could be near his family. WHAT!

Anyway they rightfully told him that wasn't happening and so now he might quit Star Wars and just stick with Trek.

Worst thing that can happen imo, he's perfect for Star Wars. He did good with Star Trek 09, Into Darkness was passable but for the next one I want someone who can write an intelligent story, something that makes you think.
Who's "Abrahms" and what does he have to do with Star Trek and Star Wars?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old July 23 2013, 02:57 AM   #4
Infern0
Captain

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
Christ. I am so sick of this anti-Abrams stuff. Will you guys just get over it? The man and his team successfully revived a DEAD franchise.

If he does or doesn't direct the next Star Wars and does return to Trek, or whatever happens, we should be thanking him for making Star Trek globally popular again. Making a movie is not easy. Making a big budget movie is not easy. Plenty of people do it and the movies flop. Abrams delivered two qualified successes. Can we just be grateful and stop with the "ZOMG this is TERRIBLE!" stuff?
So what you are saying is that I should be thanking him even though I didn't really like his movies, because they "made money"

That doesn't really make sense to me. I think there are a lot of directors who could have done what he has done, and a fair few who could have done better. And I want to see them get the chance.
Old July 23 2013, 03:01 AM   #5
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Abrams delivered two qualified successes. Can we just be grateful and stop with the "ZOMG this is TERRIBLE!" stuff?
Why should I take satisfaction that a group of rich people I don't like have managed to score more money?
Old July 23 2013, 03:02 AM   #6
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

What does this have to do with Star Trek Movies I-X? Perhaps you should ask a mod to move it?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old July 23 2013, 03:05 AM   #7
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Abrams delivered two qualified successes. Can we just be grateful and stop with the "ZOMG this is TERRIBLE!" stuff?
Why should I take satisfaction that a group of rich people I don't like have managed to score more money?
Who's asking you to do that?
Old July 23 2013, 03:08 AM   #8
Infern0
Captain

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
] Who's asking you to do that?
The fellow who is saying we should be "grateful" that the AA-Trek films were successful at the box office.
Old July 23 2013, 03:10 AM   #9
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

The poster I was quoting. He said that people who dislike the current popcorn action movie direction should just be grateful it's making money. Which strikes me as a weird attitude. I'd rather the last movie tanked at the box office, yet was thought provoking and interesting.
Old July 23 2013, 03:11 AM   #10
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I liked the Abrams films, so this would be good news.
Old July 23 2013, 03:14 AM   #11
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

The poster I was quoting. He said that people who dislike the current popcorn action movie direction should just be grateful it's making money. Which strikes me as a weird attitude. I'd rather the last movie tanked at the box office, yet was thought provoking and interesting.
Grateful it revived a dead franchise. Made it relevant again.
Old July 23 2013, 03:16 AM   #12
Infern0
Captain

Relevant yes, in a nice mainstream popcorn-action movie way.

Like I say it'd be nice to see someone who can make a film more in the spirit of Star Trek now.
Old July 23 2013, 03:17 AM   #13
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Well, I really like ENT S4 and think it resembles solid Star Trek a lot more than STID does.

Popcorn shlock with a fucking white Khan is hardly an exciting direction for the franchise? Are we that defeated?
Old July 23 2013, 03:19 AM   #14
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Infern0 wrote: View Post
] Who's asking you to do that?
The fellow who is saying we should be "grateful" that the AA-Trek films were successful at the box office.

Which is a different thing than "taking satisfaction that a group of rich people I don't like have managed to score more money."
Old July 23 2013, 03:19 AM   #15
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Alright.
Closed Thread