RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,939
Posts: 5,390,442
Members: 24,721
Currently online: 646
Newest member: Miltan08

TrekToday headlines

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Free Star Trek Trexels Game
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

New Trek-themed Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Aug 21

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old July 23 2013, 02:35 AM   #1
Infern0
Captain
 
Infern0's Avatar
 
Terrible News, Abrahms might be quitting Star Wars to return to Trek!

If the rumours on the IGN front page are true.

apparently Abrahms as thrown a hissy fit over Star Wars being shot in the UK, and wanted production moved to L.A so he could be near his family. WHAT!

Anyway they rightfully told him that wasn't happening and so now he might quit Star Wars and just stick with Trek.

Worst thing that can happen imo, he's perfect for Star Wars. He did good with Star Trek 09, Into Darkness was passable but for the next one I want someone who can write an intelligent story, something that makes you think.
Infern0 is offline  
Old July 23 2013, 02:49 AM   #2
sttngfan1701d
Commodore
 
Re: Terrible News, Abrahms might be quitting Star Wars to return to Tr

Christ. I am so sick of this anti-Abrams stuff. Will you guys just get over it? The man and his team successfully revived a DEAD franchise.

If he does or doesn't direct the next Star Wars and does return to Trek, or whatever happens, we should be thanking him for making Star Trek globally popular again. Making a movie is not easy. Making a big budget movie is not easy. Plenty of people do it and the movies flop. Abrams delivered two qualified successes. Can we just be grateful and stop with the "ZOMG this is TERRIBLE!" stuff?
sttngfan1701d is offline  
Old July 23 2013, 02:55 AM   #3
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Terrible News, Abrahms might be quitting Star Wars to return to Tr

Infern0 wrote: View Post
If the rumours on the IGN front page are true.

apparently Abrahms as thrown a hissy fit over Star Wars being shot in the UK, and wanted production moved to L.A so he could be near his family. WHAT!

Anyway they rightfully told him that wasn't happening and so now he might quit Star Wars and just stick with Trek.

Worst thing that can happen imo, he's perfect for Star Wars. He did good with Star Trek 09, Into Darkness was passable but for the next one I want someone who can write an intelligent story, something that makes you think.
Who's "Abrahms" and what does he have to do with Star Trek and Star Wars?
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now  
Old July 23 2013, 02:57 AM   #4
Infern0
Captain
 
Infern0's Avatar
 
Re: Terrible News, Abrahms might be quitting Star Wars to return to Tr

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
Christ. I am so sick of this anti-Abrams stuff. Will you guys just get over it? The man and his team successfully revived a DEAD franchise.

If he does or doesn't direct the next Star Wars and does return to Trek, or whatever happens, we should be thanking him for making Star Trek globally popular again. Making a movie is not easy. Making a big budget movie is not easy. Plenty of people do it and the movies flop. Abrams delivered two qualified successes. Can we just be grateful and stop with the "ZOMG this is TERRIBLE!" stuff?
So what you are saying is that I should be thanking him even though I didn't really like his movies, because they "made money"

That doesn't really make sense to me. I think there are a lot of directors who could have done what he has done, and a fair few who could have done better. And I want to see them get the chance.
Infern0 is offline  
Old July 23 2013, 03:01 AM   #5
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Terrible News, Abrahms might be quitting Star Wars to return to Tr

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
Abrams delivered two qualified successes. Can we just be grateful and stop with the "ZOMG this is TERRIBLE!" stuff?
Why should I take satisfaction that a group of rich people I don't like have managed to score more money?
DalekJim is offline  
Old July 23 2013, 03:02 AM   #6
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Terrible News, Abrahms might be quitting Star Wars to return to Tr

What does this have to do with Star Trek Movies I-X? Perhaps you should ask a mod to move it?
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now  
Old July 23 2013, 03:05 AM   #7
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Terrible News, Abrahms might be quitting Star Wars to return to Tr

DalekJim wrote: View Post
sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
Abrams delivered two qualified successes. Can we just be grateful and stop with the "ZOMG this is TERRIBLE!" stuff?
Why should I take satisfaction that a group of rich people I don't like have managed to score more money?
Who's asking you to do that?
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now  
Old July 23 2013, 03:08 AM   #8
Infern0
Captain
 
Infern0's Avatar
 
Re: Terrible News, Abrahms might be quitting Star Wars to return to Tr

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
] Who's asking you to do that?
The fellow who is saying we should be "grateful" that the AA-Trek films were successful at the box office.
Infern0 is offline  
Old July 23 2013, 03:10 AM   #9
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Terrible News, Abrahms might be quitting Star Wars to return to Tr

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Who's asking you to do that?
...

The poster I was quoting. He said that people who dislike the current popcorn action movie direction should just be grateful it's making money. Which strikes me as a weird attitude. I'd rather the last movie tanked at the box office, yet was thought provoking and interesting.
DalekJim is offline  
Old July 23 2013, 03:11 AM   #10
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Terrible News, Abrahms might be quitting Star Wars to return to Tr

I liked the Abrams films, so this would be good news.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is online now  
Old July 23 2013, 03:14 AM   #11
sttngfan1701d
Commodore
 
Re: Terrible News, Abrahms might be quitting Star Wars to return to Tr

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Who's asking you to do that?
...

The poster I was quoting. He said that people who dislike the current popcorn action movie direction should just be grateful it's making money. Which strikes me as a weird attitude. I'd rather the last movie tanked at the box office, yet was thought provoking and interesting.
Grateful it revived a dead franchise. Made it relevant again.
sttngfan1701d is offline  
Old July 23 2013, 03:16 AM   #12
Infern0
Captain
 
Infern0's Avatar
 
Re: Terrible News, Abrahms might be quitting Star Wars to return to Tr

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
Grateful it revived a dead franchise. Made it relevant again.
Relevant yes, in a nice mainstream popcorn-action movie way.

Like I say it'd be nice to see someone who can make a film more in the spirit of Star Trek now.
Infern0 is offline  
Old July 23 2013, 03:17 AM   #13
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Terrible News, Abrahms might be quitting Star Wars to return to Tr

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
Grateful it revived a dead franchise. Made it relevant again.
Well, I really like ENT S4 and think it resembles solid Star Trek a lot more than STID does.

Popcorn shlock with a fucking white Khan is hardly an exciting direction for the franchise? Are we that defeated?
DalekJim is offline  
Old July 23 2013, 03:19 AM   #14
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Terrible News, Abrahms might be quitting Star Wars to return to Tr

Infern0 wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
] Who's asking you to do that?
The fellow who is saying we should be "grateful" that the AA-Trek films were successful at the box office.
DalekJim wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Who's asking you to do that?
...

The poster I was quoting. He said that people who dislike the current popcorn action movie direction should just be grateful it's making money. Which strikes me as a weird attitude. I'd rather the last movie tanked at the box office, yet was thought provoking and interesting.
Which is a different thing than "taking satisfaction that a group of rich people I don't like have managed to score more money."
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now  
Old July 23 2013, 03:19 AM   #15
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Terrible News, Abrahms might be quitting Star Wars to return to Tr

Alright.
DalekJim is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.