Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old July 23 2013, 12:42 AM   #421
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile
Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

So ... Ryan Braun has been suspended for the rest of the season (65 games) ... and he will not appeal the decision. Gives just a wee bit of legitimacy to the Biogenesis (We're talking about universal Armageddon!) investigation.
Old July 23 2013, 12:50 AM   #422
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Tribune.com is saying 2 PTBN in the Garza deal, so 5 players.
Old July 23 2013, 01:23 AM   #423
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
But then, considering Garza is a 2 month rental, is it a decent trade then?
It's not a terrible haul, but given that there's a pretty decent chance Garza re-signs with Texas (they've wanted him for two and a half years, and there was mutual interest before the Cubs beat the Rangers on money), it feels like they should have gotten more. Olt's prospect value has taken a huge hit (he does have a legitimate excuse with the post-concussion stuff, but that's a red flag in and of itself, too), Grimm is projecting as a back-of-the-rotation guy at best (and he's gotten hammered this year), and Edwards is ... well, he's got great minor league stats, but he's still in A ball, which means he needs to face much more talented hitters before we have an idea of his value, especially because his curveball mechanics are so wonky that he's screaming "future Tommy John surgery recipient" to me.

So ... Ryan Braun has been suspended for the rest of the season (65 games) ... and he will not appeal the decision. Gives just a wee bit of legitimacy to the Biogenesis (We're talking about universal Armageddon!) investigation.
Really not surprised by this. For better or worse, the MLBPA is just as tired of the PED stuff as MLB is, and Braun has been a dead man walking in MLB's eyes for 20-some months.

I'd also bet money that this is why A-Rod suddenly came down with a "quad strain."
Old July 23 2013, 01:40 AM   #424
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Timby wrote: View Post
Really not surprised by this. For better or worse, the MLBPA is just as tired of the PED stuff as MLB is, and Braun has been a dead man walking in MLB's eyes for 20-some months.

I'd also bet money that this is why A-Rod suddenly came down with a "quad strain."
A pretty safe bet. Also telling, regarding the Player Association: "I am deeply gratified to see Ryan taking this bold step," said MLB Players Association executive director Michael Weiner. "It vindicates the rights of all players under the Joint Drug Program."

If the PA is onboard with a lengthy suspension, you know it's had enough.
Old July 23 2013, 01:59 AM   #425
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post

A pretty safe bet. Also telling, regarding the Player Association: "I am deeply gratified to see Ryan taking this bold step," said MLB Players Association executive director Michael Weiner. "It vindicates the rights of all players under the Joint Drug Program."

If the PA is onboard with a lengthy suspension, you know it's had enough.
Braun is kind of a special case, though, and I think the PA is trying to cut its losses -- Braun really does come across like the world's biggest asshole because of how he's handled this for the last 20 months or whatever, and comparisons to other "nuh UHHHH I NEVER DID IT" jackasses like Palmeiro and Armstrong aren't all that off-base. The reason people care about this one while not giving a hoot about about Marlon Byrd or Bartolo Colon is because Byrd and Colon haven't been out there running a full-bore media campaign about how they're as clean as can be. Let's not forget what Braun said in his press conference after the appeal was upheld:

“Today is for anyone who has been wrongly accused and everyone who stood up for what’s right. It’s about future players and the game of baseball.”
Although Rick Sutcliffe has crawled completely up his own ass about this today, he's stopping just short of calling people like Braun worse than Hitler.
Old July 23 2013, 02:59 AM   #426
Lindemann's Catch
Commodore

They need to suspend A-Roid right a long with Braun. And surprise, surprise Garza went to Texas.
Old July 23 2013, 03:44 AM   #427
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Pondwater wrote: View Post
They need to suspend A-Roid right a long with Braun.
Braun apparently proactively approached MLB with an offer to take the suspension; my guess is he wanted to get out in front of the hammer that's going to drop on A-Rod. MLB supposedly has a mountain of evidence against Rodriguez, which I'm guessing means that the stories about Rodriguez trying to buy the Biogenesis records before they were handed over to MLB are true.
Old July 23 2013, 04:19 AM   #428
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

This happened.
Old July 23 2013, 04:37 AM   #429
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
This happened.
That's a nice recovery on Heyward's part. He got a late break because Reed Johnson dogged it, but when he turned on the jets, he was fucking motoring. A very nice play on his part, though it was helped by being able to take a straight, clean route.
Old July 23 2013, 04:53 AM   #430
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I'm going to ignore the drug talk and go back to the "good old days" where people just looked the other way to drugs, and more importantly Tampa Bay sucked. I miss those Tampa Rays sucking days.
Old July 23 2013, 01:40 PM   #431
Danny99
Vice Admiral

They'll never catch them all and fans should never expect them all to be caught. When money is at stake, people will do anything.
Old July 23 2013, 08:08 PM   #432
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Cubs and Yankees are in preliminary talks for Alfonso Soriano.

Cashman's getting the band back together.
Old July 23 2013, 11:54 PM   #433
Use of Time
Commodore

Man that is such a Yankee move. You must be one happy Cubs fan. Any idea on who the Yankees are trying to move?
Old July 24 2013, 12:08 AM   #434
Lindemann's Catch
Commodore

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
This happened.
As I've said about fifty other times discussing that catch today: Awesome.
Old July 24 2013, 12:19 AM   #435
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Use of Time wrote: View Post

Man that is such a Yankee move. You must be one happy Cubs fan. Any idea on who the Yankees are trying to move?
The SI.com story indicates a "mid-level prospect".

The SI.com story says a deal is "close" and the ESPN.com story says a deal is "not close"

On one hand, Sori is a good guy and I'd like to see him in the big game, but I think the Yanks are in too much disarray for Soriano to give them all the push they need.
Closed Thread