Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 23 2013, 01:14 AM   #331
Jax
Admiral

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

I love how Lex in that video is not cold by wearing just a suit in the Artic
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 01:18 AM   #332
Christopher
Writer

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
I wasn't trying to suggest that there's a "rule" that studios have to follow...I was merely expressing my opinion, based on my observations of the patterns typical of super-hero movie franchises. You seem to see the seven Batman movies since 1989 as a continuous series with small interruptions, a la Bond.
No, I don't. I'm not talking about what's been done in the past, but questioning the idea that some kind of rest was necessary in the present/future. Whether or not there was a long enough rest between Schumacher and Nolan had no bearing on the success of the Nolan films. The Nolan films worked because their makers did a good job. They would've worked just as well if they'd been made years earlier.

Conventional wisdom is that where super-hero movies get sequels at all, they tend to make 3 or 4 films, and fans usually don't like 3 or 4 nearly as much as the first two.
"Conventional wisdom" means what's widely believed, not necessarily what's actually true. And human beings love to project patterns where none exist. Film franchises run as long as they make a profit. The only numbers that are determinative are the box office returns.

And really, there aren't enough long-running superhero film series to allow drawing any statistically meaningful conclusions about their patterns.

Are Batman and Spider-Man examples of a new trend of super-hero franchises that keep churning out movies at a fairly regular pace into perpetuity, occasionally undergoing creative reinventions but never fully stopping?
I never said they would be. The alternative to one extreme is not the opposite extreme. Most truths lie in the middle ground. I'm only saying that there's no reason to think there's a requirement for a long rest. Sometimes a series goes fallow for a long time, but only because it's had enough failures that there's no interest in a new one. If, as in the case of Spidey or Batman, a series is brought to an end on a fairly high note while audiences still have a generally positive view of it, there's no reason why a reboot couldn't succeed just a few years later. And sometimes a series that did run out of steam due to disappointing box office, like Star Trek, can nonetheless be successfully relaunched without too long a rest. (There were seven years between consecutive feature films, but only four between consecutive productions inclusive of TV and features.)

The point I'm making is that it's not about some kind of overall cosmic pattern that makes things happen a certain way. It's about the individual circumstances and performance of each individual movie series. A series will last as long as it produces successful movies. No, there's no guarantee that it will continue to do so "forever," but neither is there a guarantee that it will stop doing so after some arbitrarily preset number of films, or that there needs to be some minimum interval before it can start up again.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 01:39 AM   #333
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral

^I never said there were any requirements, guarantees, or cosmic forces at work, and you're the one who brought in the Bond films and other long-running franchises as examples, so what exactly are you getting at? It gets tiresome when it seems like somebody's just arguing the opposite of anything that I say.
The Dead Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 01:42 AM   #334
Christopher
Writer

^What I'm getting at is exactly what I've said: That there are counterexamples to the idea that film series need some kind of "rest" before being rebooted. That's as simply as I can put it.

Old July 23 2013, 01:46 AM   #335
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Spider-Man 3 and Batman and Robin were very poor films, so the idea of a reboot was more warmly welcomed. I don't think fans will be as glad to see the back of the established order this time round.

Personally, I'm used to the idea of different Batman continuities so I'm not too bothered. Film has never been the ideal medium for superhero storytelling anyway, as it loses the long-term arc storytelling. A huge reason I'm a fan of the genre in the first place.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 01:57 AM   #336
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^What I'm getting at is exactly what I've said: That there are counterexamples to the idea that film series need some kind of "rest" before being rebooted. That's as simply as I can put it.
And my basic point, going way, way back--and in response to a different poster's statement--was that we simply don't know if they're planning to feature Superman vs. Batman's new Batman in solo films. Whether they could, would, or should is irrelevant. There's been no announcement of such plans, and if they intend to do it, it doesn't seem to be on the schedule until at least after the JL film in 2017.
Old July 23 2013, 02:12 AM   #337
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Spider-Man 3 and Batman and Robin were very poor films, so the idea of a reboot was more warmly welcomed.
That's like saying a scratched cornea and a ruptured testicle are both inconveniences.
Old July 23 2013, 03:10 AM   #338
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

How long must we wait for a hi-res version of the Batman/Superman logo seen at Comic-Con?
Old July 23 2013, 03:12 AM   #339
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

^ Like this one?
Old July 23 2013, 03:29 AM   #340
Christopher
Writer

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
And my basic point, going way, way back--and in response to a different poster's statement--was that we simply don't know if they're planning to feature Superman vs. Batman's new Batman in solo films. Whether they could, would, or should is irrelevant.
It is the nature of BBS conversations to branch off into tangents, because there are multiple people involved who have multiple ideas they wish to discuss. In the course of the point you were making, you said, in passing, "They'd be best to give him a rest when it comes to solo films." I was curious about that particular assertion, and I asked why you believed that to be the case. Maybe that's not the original subject you were discussing, but it's a topic that was suggested by something you said, and since this is a discussion board, I attempted to begin a discussion of that new issue. I have as much right to pursue the topics that interest me as do you or any of the other hundreds of people here, and that was the question that interested me.

Old July 23 2013, 03:31 AM   #341
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Batman, I'm really happy for you, and imma let you finish, but Superman caused more death and destruction in one movie than you did in three.
Old July 23 2013, 03:34 AM   #342
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Snyder quickly clarified that while "The Dark Knight Returns" is not the basis for the untitled Superman/Batman movie, it is acting as an inspiration for the project.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=46829
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 04:09 AM   #343
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
It is the nature of BBS conversations to branch off into tangents, because there are multiple people involved who have multiple ideas they wish to discuss. In the course of the point you were making, you said, in passing, "They'd be best to give him a rest when it comes to solo films." I was curious about that particular assertion, and I asked why you believed that to be the case. Maybe that's not the original subject you were discussing, but it's a topic that was suggested by something you said, and since this is a discussion board, I attempted to begin a discussion of that new issue. I have as much right to pursue the topics that interest me as do you or any of the other hundreds of people here, and that was the question that interested me.
I'm all for discussion, but there's a difference between a friendly discussion and a relentless debate. Somewhere along the way it crossed that line for me.
Old July 23 2013, 04:50 AM   #344
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
How long must we wait for a hi-res version of the Batman/Superman logo seen at Comic-Con?
Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
^ Like this one?
Thank you! I want it for my phone.
Old July 23 2013, 09:21 AM   #345
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Spider-Man 3 and Batman and Robin were very poor films, so the idea of a reboot was more warmly welcomed. I don't think fans will be as glad to see the back of the established order this time round.
Not necessarily. Batman and Robin was so bad that when a new film was announced - and at the time a lot of people thought it was a prequel to the last series, not a reboot - a lot of people had the attitude 'Not another one!' Similarly with Spider-man, there was a touch of 'I don't want to see another one, after that last movie.'

I think that for the most part, the casual movie-goer will simply see that there is a new Batman film coming and say 'good, the last ones were excellent', rather than 'oh dear, they're never going to be as good as the last ones.'