Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate Pacific Rim?
A+ 31 24.80%
A 35 28.00%
A- 15 12.00%
B+ 25 20.00%
B 7 5.60%
B- 2 1.60%
C+ 2 1.60%
C 1 0.80%
C- 1 0.80%
D+ 1 0.80%
D 1 0.80%
D- 3 2.40%
F+ 0 0%
F 1 0.80%
F- 0 0%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 22 2013, 07:38 PM   #196
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Re: Pacific Rim - Grading and Discussion

Here are some interesting comparisons BTW. Here are Paramounts two gambles for the summer both also costing ~ $190 million.

World War Z
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $186,941,000 41.0% + Foreign: $269,500,000 59.0% = Worldwide: $456,441,000

Domestic Summary
Opening Weekend: $66,411,834 [(#2 rank, 3,607 theaters, $18,412 average) % of Total Gross: 35.5% > View All 5 Weekends[ Widest Release: 3,607 theaters In Release: 31 days / 4.4 weeks
Star Trek Into Darkness
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $225,122,000 50.2% + Foreign: $223,500,000 49.8% = Worldwide: $448,622,000

Domestic Summary
Opening Weekend: $70,165,559 (#1 rank, 3,868 theaters, $18,140 average) % of Total Gross: 31.2% > View All 10 Weekends Widest Release: 3,907 theaters In Release: 67 days / 9.6 weeks
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 07:52 PM   #197
The Stig
Rear Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
The Stig wrote: View Post
Your nits have been nothing but opinions passed of as concrete factoids. Additionally, you ignore the overall boxoffice take of the film in a ham-handed attempt to call the movie a 'flop.'
I made it clear - these are my opinions. Hey man, if you like giant robots fighting godzilla like creatures with some quirky characters mixed in for good measure you're going to love this film.

If you don't - you will not. It was OK IMO but nothing to heap praises on as one of the best films of the summer.
I never made any such assertion. I simply pointed out that the movie has almost made back it's budget after two weeks and that your criticisms were shallow and nonsensical.

Pacific Rim has made $68 million domestically on a budgt of $190 million

Pacific Rim flops in the UK on its opening weekend amking only 2.19 million pounds.

But lets leave it to the experts at Variety who do study and report on the film industry who have described the film as a flop since I'm assuming neither you or I study or work in the film industry as they do.

Can you find any Hollywood industry indsiders who cover box office totals who are describing Pacific Rim as a success?
Your favorite source, Variety, calls Pacific Rim neither a bomb nor a runaway success.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/bo...nd-1200562349/

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 08:25 PM   #198
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

The Stig wrote: View Post
I simply pointed out that the movie has almost made back it's budget after two weeks and that your criticisms were shallow and nonsensical.
I get it man - you liked the movie, but I was underwhelmed. My criticisms are my opinions and whether you agree with my criticisms or not is opinion as well.
Old July 22 2013, 08:43 PM   #199
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Saw it this past week-end. I guess I just didn't get what it was that everyone else got that made them love this movie. I'm no giant robot aficionado but I did love Gigantor as a kid, the Iron Giant, and the first Transformers movie, but "Rim" didn't move me.

The characters were dull, as were their back stories. I did find the Asian woman mildly interesting but they didn't tell enough about her to really engage me. The acting by the young Jaeger operators was average and that is being generous. Even Idris Elba, who I usually love, seemed to be phoning it in.

I did enjoy watching the Jaegers punching the monsters, though. That never seemed to get old. In fact, I wish there had been some WWF body slamming. That would certainly have kept me awake.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 09:03 PM   #200
KGator
Lieutenant Commander

Pacific Rim wasn't the greatest movie of all time but out of the summer flicks I saw (STID, MOS, WWZ, Oblivion and PR) it was probably my second favorite (the top three were all close in my mind).

That being said, I see it only making between $100-115 million domestically and $275-325 million overseas. Which isn't bad ($375-$440 million worldwide) but because of overseas gross receipts having a smaller portion going to the studio than in the US it will probably lose money before other rights are included. In the long run I think it turns a profit but not from box office revenue in relation to its budget.

Even if it made Transformers type money in China ($120 million) only a quarter of that would make it back to the studios.
KGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 09:21 PM   #201
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

KGator wrote: View Post

Even if it made Transformers type money in China ($120 million) only a quarter of that would make it back to the studios.
Which is exactly why US movie studios are more concerned with the domestic box office totals.
Old July 22 2013, 09:34 PM   #202
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

[QUOTE=DarthTom;8415238]
Noname Given wrote: View Post
Hollywood moving forward is likely to look for better stories rather than big films moving forward.

You're kidding, right?
Really?

No, if anything Hollywood is likely to see that the Conjuring made money and then ape the hell out of it. Why else are we getting all of these wanna be Twilight or Hunger Games movies right now. Beautiful Creatures? Mortal Instruments? These are movies coming out solely to try to rope in the same audiences. Hollywood doesn't understand why movies are successful. They just think they can copy elements from a successful film and have the same success. Beautiful Creatures failed, and so will Mortal Instruments.
Old July 22 2013, 10:52 PM   #203
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I finally saw this movie over the weekend and gave it a B-. I'm having a hard time understanding how and why so many picky Star Trek fans who disliked, Trek XI for its numerous plot holes and Khan's, 'magic blood,' as well as disliked World War Z because of plot holes and zombies who can smell sick people - and folks who disliked Superman for various reasons absolutely love this film?
Movies are odd like that and depending on the movie and the universe there's different levels of suspension of disbelief.

World War Z was for the large part taking place in "reality" and "our universe" so when odd things happen that don't hold up to scrutiny it can cause plot questions.

Star Trek again, by and large, takes place in "our universe." The distant future, sure, but it's not supposed to be in a comic book universe or anything like that so, again, it has some sense of grounded reality it has to adhere to. Also the "magic blood" thing was clearly a deus ex machnia put in to allow the movie to have its cake (kill Kirk) and eat it too (have him survive.)

Superman, lower standard for reality, higher allowance for "suspension of disbelief" but when a movie's not good enough people will not forgive easily.

Which brings us to this movie. It's a movie going into it you pretty much already know you have to turn off the brain. It's not a movie supposing to take place in "our reality" so, like Superman, going into it buys a LOT of forgiveness in the suspension of disbelief department. For many people -myself included- it succeed in being fun, entertaining and a spectacle which means everything it pulls it buys a hand wave.

World War Z I enjoyed so its problems weren't something that ruined the movie for me though in hindsight it did have plot problems. But those plot problems didn't ruin the movie for me.

Superman I have my problems with, though I liked it, but the problems I DO have with it are what harmed the movie for me. (This does not include Superman breaking Zod's neck, something I liked.)

Star Trek... Ehhhhhhh........ I've accepted it's "not for me" but still the "magic blood" thing was deus ex machina at its worst. There's no reason why it's there other than to reference the "death of Spock" scene without having to bare the weight of it. It also, much like the transwarp beaming in the previous movie, does a LOT of "damage" to the already thin barriers of reality Star Trek has tried to stay in.
Old July 22 2013, 10:59 PM   #204
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

gblews wrote: View Post
Saw it this past week-end. I guess I just didn't get what it was that everyone else got that made them love this movie.
I had a perfect opportunity to see it in IMAX 3D while on vacation last week but ended up not going. The trailer did nothing for me, and the same goes for a clip I saw on a talk show appearance. But the positive reviews I saw on here had me seriously considering seeing it. I'll see it on home video eventually...
Old July 23 2013, 12:28 AM   #205
Tulin
Vice Admiral

The American public has at least spoken and they weren't interested for the most part.
Yeah and the American public preferred "Grown Ups 2" over this.

Shame on you America, seriously.

SHAME.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 12:32 AM   #206
Tulin
Vice Admiral

[QUOTE=OdoWanKenobi;8415868]
Hollywood moving forward is likely to look for better stories rather than big films moving forward.

You're kidding, right?
Really?
I am amazed you could even understand that sentence.

I have NO IDEA what the poster was trying to say there!
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 12:44 AM   #207
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Tulin wrote: View Post
The American public has at least spoken and they weren't interested for the most part.
Yeah and the American public preferred "Grown Ups 2" over this.

Shame on you America, seriously.

SHAME.
No kidding.
Old July 23 2013, 02:50 AM   #208
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

You're kidding, right?
Really?

No, if anything Hollywood is likely to see that the Conjuring made money and then ape the hell out of it. Why else are we getting all of these wanna be Twilight or Hunger Games movies right now. Beautiful Creatures? Mortal Instruments? These are movies coming out solely to try to rope in the same audiences. Hollywood doesn't understand why movies are successful. They just think they can copy elements from a successful film and have the same success. Beautiful Creatures failed, and so will Mortal Instruments.
Um, I didn't post what you have me quoted as stating. If you're going to use the quote system; please preview your post to make sure you're not mis-quoting someone as, I don't mind being hung for what I do post - but I hate seeing something quoted as coming from me that I DID NOT say.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 03:32 AM   #209
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

You're kidding, right?
Really?
Prolly said in 2003, 1993, 1983, 1973...
Old July 23 2013, 09:58 AM   #210
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Coming late to this thread, as, unlike IM3, STID and MOS, I didn't see it within days of it opening (and, unlike them) I think it opened in the US before Ireland & the UK.

I really enjoyed this movie, which is the dark horse of this year's summer blockbusters. I had more fun with it than with Trek or Steel. I would not have expected a mixture of Godzilla, Transformers, Top Gun and Armageddon to have been more enjoyable than Man of Steel or Into Darkness, but it was. Really spectacular, but with wit and imagination. Plus it helped that you could actually tell what was going on in the action sequences (Mr Snyder, take note). Ron Perlman and Idris Elba brought the acting up a level too.

I gave it an A-, which is perhaps low of me, if anything. Not quite a perfect film but a lot of fun and well worth seeing. I hope it does well at the box office, it deserves to.