Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 22 2013, 05:51 PM   #31
Forbin
Admiral

Re: Finding goofs in your tv shows...

Waching Journey to Babel yesterday (needed a TOS fix), and there are so many examples of bad match-cutting it was amazing. For example, Sarek enters the rec room to take his pill. I the background, the Tellarite ambassador Gav sits casually sipping a drink with his left hand. Cut to a closeup of Gave, and he's sitting upright with the drink in his right hand. Cut back to the wide shot again and he's relaxed with it in his left again. That kind of thing.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 07:00 PM   #32
PKerr
Rear Admiral

In the Netflix Show "Orange is the new black" around mid season two characters (Piper's boyfriend and brother, sorry cant remember their names) are sitting at a campfire cooking hot dogs, one has a straight stick and the other has one that is very bent, during the conversation their sticks change back and forth, don't know why they didn't have either two straight or two bent sticks for the scene.
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 10:20 PM   #33
propita
Rear Admiral

To me, those are more continuity issues, rather than actual goofs. But they kinda count, too.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 11:57 PM   #34
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

There's an intentional continuity flaw in The Sopranos.

I forget exactly the year when it happened, probably between seasons 3 and 4 because it had the largest gap, but they skipped a year. I could have told you the exact references at the time, now I forget. But at the end of season three it's clear it's spring 2001, then in season four, only three months later in the show in plot time, it's fall 2002.

I guess it's not a 'goof', they did it so they can make current references. Or maybe they did it so they wouldn't have to talk about the events of 9/11 as if they were currently happening when Meadow was in New York.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 02:48 AM   #35
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Ah, if we're going to get into mapping issues then The Glades will make any Floridian cry. That show treats the state like it's the size of Rhode Island. Going to Cassadaga and Homestead in the same day? Before 5pm? Not at less than 100 mph.
In Jack Webb's Adam-12, the police dispatcher was always sending the cops to non-existent intersections like "Sherman Way and Vanowen." Those are real streets in the San Fernando Valley, but they both run east-west and never cross each other.

That was probably intentional, though -- like using those dummy phone numbers with the 555 prefix.

propita wrote: View Post
To me, those are more continuity issues, rather than actual goofs. But they kinda count, too.
Four words: Fire the script girl!

Last edited by Olive, the Other Reindeer; July 23 2013 at 03:08 AM.
Olive, the Other Reindeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 02:59 AM   #36
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

In the most recent TV-miniseries version of "The Phantom," there's a bit where an eyewitness describes the Phantom as wearing a purple costume . . . despite the fact that this particular version of the Phantom is wearing black body armor.

One can only assume that the screenwriter and the costume designer were not on the same page . . . and nobody noticed the discrepancy.
Old July 23 2013, 11:04 AM   #37
Retu
Lieutenant Commander

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Spotted one in an episode of "A Town Called Eureka"

Vincent has a line where he mentiones setting his fridge/freezer to zero degrees Kelvin, and taps in -273 on his fridge. Which is all very well and good but if you look carefully the fridge/freezer is set to show tempature in degrees F so it reads as -273F which is not zero degrees Kelvin. It would be correct if it was -273C.
Not really a goof, but it has stuck in my memory. In the same series is after Fargo gets his sports car. He is driving along a road when he has to make an emergency stop. He slams on the brakes, but doesn't push in the clutch at the same time. The car had manual transmission and 1st thing they teach on emergency stops in manuals is that you push in the clutch in order not to stall the engine.

As I said, not really a goof, since Fargo had probably driven automatics only prior to that.
-Sir William Bragg
Retu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 02:50 PM   #38
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

Something I spotted in a TV show recently, that I think I've seen several times - someone was in hospital and attached to a monitor, but the monitor screen had a flashing "simulation" word on it!
Old July 23 2013, 09:07 PM   #39
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

^ That reminds me of a Buck Rogers episode from the 70's. There was some kind of space fighter dogfight going on, but one of the fighters' readout screens clearly said "HIGH SCORE".
Old July 23 2013, 09:35 PM   #40
MacLeod
Admiral

Maybe not a really a goof, but a lot of times esp. in American shows that feature scientists/engineers we see them reading off scales measuring in imperial i.e. F when most scientist use C or K. Even today they would normally use the metric scale.

Sure I know why it is done, for the American audiance. But it still could be considered a goof.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 09:09 AM   #41
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

View George Bailey's Twitter Profile

MacLeod wrote: View Post
From DW "Aliens of London" the clock on Elizabeth Tower is reversed.
Not to mention the original version where part of the model breaks off and you can clearly see it's made of MDF board.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 09:53 AM   #42
MacLeod
Admiral

Can't remember the name of the episode. But in one episode of TNG. Riker or Picard orders Warp speed and Geordi replies. "Aye Sir, Full impulse"
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 01:32 PM   #43
Forbin
Admiral

In the final space battle in ST:VI, we see the Enterprise on Chang's viewscreen, and we're clearly looking down on the ship from above. Chang order's "FIRE", and the torpedo hits the Enterprise from below.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 02:14 PM   #44
Gaith
Rear Admiral

The West Wing: there are hardly any lobbyists, the senior staff all like each other, most Republican politicians are fundamentally good people... you know, just a few stray details.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 06:10 AM   #45
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

propita wrote: View Post
Also Kirk fighting the Gorn, with Shatner's "patented" sideways kick. I know they must use stuntmen, but so obviously not Shat.
I saw the same thing, and must agree with you as well.
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote