Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old July 21 2013, 10:20 PM   #106
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Don't forget To Be or Not to Be with Jack Benny
This is one of my favorite movies and ahem being released by Criterion next month.

However it actually was not a success at the time as people did feel it was in bad taste back then and just didn't get it.
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 03:22 AM   #107
Push The Button
Captain

BruntFCA wrote: View Post
But Q wasn't in the military so it WAS just a costume, at least that's the way I took the line.
Anwar wrote: View Post

Folks from the present (relatively speaking) are usually, if not always, going to see themselves as superior to their predecessors and lots of things about them. Folks today would look back at the kind of clothes Aristocrats wore back in the past (including the makeup they wore, including men) and see them as ridiculous costumes as well.

It's not Picard being deliberately insulting, it's just how a guy 300+ years from now would think of our own attire including what our soldiers wore.
JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Also in the context of the episode, Q was wearing that uniform to remind humanity of a part of its past where armies invaded other countries for territory and personal power with no regard for the lives lost in the wake. Picard's characterization of a 'costume' was meant to disown unjust wars and invasions from his cultural past, not to show any disrespect for those who defend their own country.
I rewatched Encounter at Farpoint today, and the exchange between Q (in his Marine Corps uniform) and Picard goes like this:

Q: But you can't deny that you're still a dangerous, savage child race.

PICARD: Most certainly I deny it. I agree we still were when humans wore costumes like that, four hundred years ago.

Sorry, but this is first-season Picard being a douche. He exhibits the same elitist attitude in "The Neutral Zone".

Fortunately, his attitude improved in later seasons, along with everything else in TNG.

Last edited by Push The Button; July 22 2013 at 03:33 AM.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 04:23 AM   #108
USS Excelsior
Commodore

This entire dialogue is the worst.

USS Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 04:32 AM   #109
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
"You're a droid, and I'm a noid." - Forget which ep this is in
Phily B wrote: View Post
"Tuvok, did anyone ever tell you your a real freakasaurus?"
And some people think Trek TOS is "dated"? Nothing dates faster than contemporary slang and colloquialisms -- especially in a show that's supposed to take place centuries in the future.
"Freakasaurus" is hardly an example of contemporary slang or colloquialism. I sincerely doubt that it was ever uttered by anyone outside of Star Trek. Ever.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 06:55 AM   #110
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Push The Button wrote: View Post
Sorry, but this is first-season Picard being a douche. He exhibits the same elitist attitude in "The Neutral Zone".

Fortunately, his attitude improved in later seasons, along with everything else in TNG.
God forbid a character have flaws and act human, because thinking yourself superior to people from 400 years in the past is a totally human thing and it's something a 21st century person would think of stuff from the 17th Century.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 10:33 AM   #111
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Yeah but it's Picard, man !! PICARD !

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 03:37 PM   #112
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

And it's hard to argue the fact that territory wars are dangerously savage.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 06:13 PM   #113
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

... because thinking yourself superior to people from 400 years in the past is a totally human thing and it's something a 21st century person would think of stuff from the 17th Century.
We have access to technology and other advancements, but we are in no way "superior" to our ancestors of a few centuries ago, at least I don't feel that way.

The clothes do not make the man.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 06:33 PM   #114
Anwar
Vice Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
... because thinking yourself superior to people from 400 years in the past is a totally human thing and it's something a 21st century person would think of stuff from the 17th Century.
We have access to technology and other advancements, but we are in no way "superior" to our ancestors of a few centuries ago, at least I don't feel that way.

Sure, if you really think about it like that. I'm just saying what an average guy on the street would think. Ask some guy on the block and he'll say "Yeah, of course we're better than those guys!".
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 07:22 PM   #115
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post

"superior" is far to general a term; using only it, you can't make meaningful pronouncements regarding whether present day humans are or not superior to their ancestors.

You need to define the criteria you use for applying the label "superior".
Old July 22 2013, 08:34 PM   #116
Colonel Midnight
Vice Admiral

If we're talking delivery/acting of dialogue... I'm surprised no one's nominated Intergalactic Cheerleader Troi's "Absolute joy and happiness" drivel from the end of Encounter at Farpoint. *Yeeesh*

For sheer dumb/ridiculousness of dialogue, then definitely the "Get the cheese to Sickbay" quote. *barf*

Cheers,
-CM-

0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
Colonel Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 09:04 PM   #117
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I found "ugly bags of mostly water" hilarious.
I liked that bit, too.

The "oath of celibacy" line bugs me because it has no context as it appears in the film. Unless you're somehow familiar with the hitherto-unmentioned Deltan species, which is explained nowhere in the film or in any of the previous TV episodes, it's just a bizarre non sequitor that comes out nowhere and is never referred to again.

It's as though some odd bit of trivia from the STAR TREK: PHASE II series bible got awkwardly inserted into the script even though it made no sense at all unless you'd read about Deltans in a magazine article or cast interview or something.
I thought the reactions of the male bridge crew when she entered gave enough context for that line to make sense.
I don't know. TOS was full of stunning yeoman in short skirts reporting to the bridge and none of them ever made a point of mentioning their oaths of celibacy to the captain. If you don't know that she's supposed to be some kind of super-sexual alien (and I don't recall this ever being discussed in the film), wouldn't you find it odd that this particular Star Trek sex symbol had to take some sort of oath, as opposed to all the glamorous guest-stars on the original series?

Plus, of course, the oath business is never referred to again and has nothing to do with the rest of the movie. Unlike, say, Spock's pursuit of pure logic which does figure into the plot and themes of the film. If they wanted to include that line, there should have been some sort of payoff later on . . . .

As is, it just stands out like a sore thumb. IMHO.
Old July 22 2013, 10:10 PM   #118
dub
Fleet Captain

I don't know. TOS was full of stunning yeoman in short skirts reporting to the bridge and none of them ever made a point of mentioning their oaths of celibacy to the captain. If you don't know that she's supposed to be some kind of super-sexual alien (and I don't recall this ever being discussed in the film), wouldn't you find it odd that this particular Star Trek sex symbol had to take some sort of oath, as opposed to all the glamorous guest-stars on the original series?
You know, I've never thought about this particular scene too much until this thread. I suppose when I've watched this film in the past, I thought she must give off some excess pheromones or something, making her irresistible. That's why all of the crew break their necks to get a glimpse of her when she walks on the bridge. I mean, she was beautiful, but as Greg said, beautiful women were a dime a dozen on the Enterprise. But, also as Greg said, there was never any payoff for that line (which is what I've never thought about before now). You'd expect to see officers drooling as she walked through the corridors. Although, it might explain why V'ger found her to be an irresistible choice. Perhaps V'ger could "detect" her extraordinary attractiveness somehow? LOL
dub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 02:23 AM   #119
scotpens
Vice Admiral

USS Excelsior wrote: View Post
This entire dialogue is the worst.

(YouTube clip)
AAAAAGGH! More insufferably preachy than the preachiest episodes of Trek TOS.
Old July 23 2013, 02:59 AM   #120
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

"Buckle up!"
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote