Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 20 2013, 10:29 PM   #256
Gojira
Commodore

Re: Godzilla 2014: Rumors, Pix and filming

At 120 meters that is 393 feet...just shy of 400 feet. think that is pushing it!
Old July 20 2013, 10:37 PM   #257
Captain_Amasov
Captain

I guess someone was bored, they went and lined the posters up:

Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 10:44 PM   #258
Gojira
Commodore

I think it is cool that they line up...
Old July 20 2013, 10:48 PM   #259
Captain_Amasov
Captain

It's kinda neat, but I wonder how long someone looked at it before going: "wait a minute..."

Also, the thing about Godzilla's "massive size" seems to be mostly about his height compared to the other Kaiju, and the airport surroundings they're in. The other Kaiju apparently isn't very big, so Godzilla probably just seems so much larger than he actually is.

Here was what someone who saw the footage had to say about the monster sizes:

Ok I would guess that the insect-like creature was closer to 150 feet tall and Godzilla towered over him, I would imagine Godzilla to be somewhere between 300 and 325 feet tall. In the shot where you see the insect creature attacking the airport, and Godzilla rising up behind it, there was really no true sense of scale other than earlier shots showing the insect creature crashing through freeway overpasses.

Last edited by Captain_Amasov; July 20 2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old July 21 2013, 11:18 AM   #260
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Gojira wrote: View Post
Another concept model....this one does have the fins from the millennium design and I do love it. Final design will be revealed tomorrow!!

This one's a Photoshop job. It's the side view of the head concept put onto the model in your avatar, with some Millennium-style spines. You can really tell where the spines meet the back.

It'd still look okay, though, teeth notwithstanding.
Old July 22 2013, 03:26 PM   #261
Captain_Amasov
Captain

Another interview with Gareth Edwards: http://www.totalfilm.com/features/go...s-gotta-be-big

“We’re going to make the tallest Godzilla ever by far. We started doing bits of animation but if he was too tall – you’d see him straight away so we had to make him smaller. What we settled on he’s just taller than any other one so far. But you have to be able to hide him.” Says Edwards.
The nuclear element is staying. We know Cranston’s character works in a nuclear plant so all signs point to this being the origin story of Godzilla though nuclear power is not the central theme.

“The heart of Godzilla is the nuclear thing, the original is an analogy for Hiroshima, we haven’t done anything directly related to Hiroshima but we have addressed it, some of those issues do become part of the movie.” Says Edwards.

But in terms of its core: “Man vs nature is the reoccurring theme. If you’re going to take on nature you will lose.”
Old July 22 2013, 04:16 PM   #262
Christopher
Writer

The nuclear element is staying. We know Cranston’s character works in a nuclear plant so all signs point to this being the origin story of Godzilla though nuclear power is not the central theme.
That doesn't follow. In the Heisei series and a couple of the Millennium movies, Godzilla's mutation made him nuclear-powered and he needed to feed on nuclear reactors and high-energy sources, which is what drew him to civilization. Yet all those movies were sequels to the '54 original. So including a nuclear plant doesn't prove it's a rebooted origin story. It could be, but that particular piece of information isn't probative.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 05:47 PM   #263
Captain_Amasov
Captain

The impression I get from various interviews, and information from filming, is that this is the first appearance of Godzilla and other giant monsters in our world. I'm guessing people are putting two and two together, however this stems from when Gareth was asked about recent environmental disasters, and he hinted that events similar to the Fukushima nuclear incident could be a factor. Saying that, I think the plant that Cranston’s character works at just comes under attack from Godzilla, and is not actually responsible for his creation.
Old July 22 2013, 08:36 PM   #264
Christopher
Writer

As I've said before, it's disappointing if it's a new origin story, a complete reboot, given that most Godzilla films have been sequels to the '54 original even when they've been in different realities from one another. Even the '98 Emmerich film implied that the Japanese had prior experience with a giant reptilian creature called Godzilla and mistook the film's star kaiju for that creature. So if this movie is definitively an origin story for Godzilla, that would make it the first ever Godzilla movie in 59 years that unambiguously cannot work as a sequel to the original. And that would be kind of a shame.

Old July 22 2013, 09:28 PM   #265
Gojira
Commodore

BEHOLD: The new Godzilla!! It still will be tweaked a little more but Edwards says this is very, very close.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old July 22 2013, 09:30 PM   #266
Christopher
Writer

I just see a window.

Old July 22 2013, 09:34 PM   #267
Gojira
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
I just see a window.
Hmmm...it is a gif, is it not working?

lets see if this works...

http://imageshack.us/a/img818/9758/q73.gif
Old July 22 2013, 09:39 PM   #268
Gojira
Commodore

you can also see it here.

http://skreeonk.com/2013/07/22/see-i...unter-is-here/

I guess this is the final design from what I am reading elsewhere.

Last edited by Gojira; July 22 2013 at 09:59 PM.
Gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 10:25 PM   #269
Christopher
Writer

Oh, that explains it. I have animated images turned off by default in my browser, because I find them too distracting.

Judging from the footage, he looks good -- but it seems like they're not using The Roar, the trademark "skreeonk." (Which should really be more like "skreeeee-eeee-eeee-eeee-eeee-aw-wonk" if you ask me.) It's just not Godzilla without The Roar.

Old July 22 2013, 10:54 PM   #270
Captain_Amasov
Captain

From reports, the roar heard during the panel at SDCC was different, but sounded like a blend of different Toho Godzilla roars from over the years; starting out breathy, then builds into an aggressive deeper tone, but still identifiably a proper Godzilla roar. At least there was nothing that sounded like an elephant in there.

Incidentally, I'd be fine either way with a new timeline or not. A new origin story would differentiate it from the other Godzilla films to date that's used the '54 film as the start, I think there is some merit to going that route. On the other hand we still don't know what role Akira Takarada is filling, it'd be interesting to see him playing Hideto Ogata again.

And what with nuclear testing carried out between 1960-1996, it'd have been easy for another Godzilla (or maybe the original regenerated) to appear again.

Last edited by Captain_Amasov; July 23 2013 at 03:19 AM.