USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 2 2013, 03:23 PM   #31
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Re: Marvel's Avengers Assemble animated series discussion

It was *alright* I dunno - honestly I wasn't super-impressed by Avengers: EMH when it first came out. I'll bet if we go through the forum archives and look at the comments for the first batch of "micro episodes" they released in dribbles online - I'll bet people were saying the same thing. And I do recall people not liking A:EMH early on too.

And then it came into its own and people now are using it as the bar that set the standard.

The story was a bit... it wasn't the greatest. It's still pretty 'kid' focused. I do hope they'll take a few pages out of EMH's book and adapt comics storylines. Even if its more modern stuff. I'd kinda love to see a Civil War storyline adapted into the cartoon.

The 'Aveng-Jet Prime' thing at the end though... that was kinda cheesy. So what? They have a transforming 'headquarters'... ?

But we'll see how it goes. Honestly I don't mind Ult. Spider-Man - I guess we do have to remember WHY these shows are on as cartoons, they're not mainly on for us 'older' fans, they're on for kids. If they appeal to us as adults and adapt stories we enjoy hey that's gravy.

Although that said, I would love to actually see a tv based series or even a direct to dvd series that essentially animated classic stories and were made basically for an older audience. More akin to some of the DC Comics movies - where they'll essentially adapt one story. But I'd like to see a whole actual continuity based series, can still tie into the movies and such, but IS written for adults and maybe not so G rated.
Old June 2 2013, 03:38 PM   #32
Mr Light
Admiral

My number one regret about EMH being canceled is they started leading into Civil War but never got to do it

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 06:20 PM   #33
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Yeah that was disappointing too - although it felt like in a way, I'm kinda glad they didn't do it. Because really, Civil War should have come before Secret Invasion, I mean part of SI is that with the Civil War, they were able to slot themselves in far more easily and it was a way to get rid of other threats.

But... I wouldn't mind a more "adult animation" series that STARTED with Civil War or even just after New Avengers sort of leading up to it. Introduce a proper Luke Cage and Jessica Jones, maybe actually start with New Avengers first couple of storylines - just compressed - for the first "disc" and then maybe for the second "disc" do like the road to civil war, then in the third "disc" do the actual civil war - maybe even as a two parter - and then at the end Cap dies. Disc four sort of is the aftermath and the start of Secret Invasion, Disc Five is the actual Secret Invasion which leads into a sort of "Dark Reign".

Hell I'd be happy if they essentially did motion comics but I would rather see an animated movie - with some care taken. Plus it's been far long enough that no one will bitch about "spoilers" - since honestly, that least Season of EMH was practically like current comics - or like the previous year's stuff. At least some of it.
Old June 2 2013, 09:16 PM   #34
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

EMH's abandonded Surtur storyline is what irks me the most.
Old June 2 2013, 09:27 PM   #35
publiusr
Commodore

The Philidelphia bike club named after them must also be mad.

Great Surtur's Ghost!
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2013, 11:22 PM   #36
Dream
Admiral

New episode aired today.

The Avengers fighting over cookies was so bizarre. I guess this show will be more of a comedy.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 07:05 PM   #37
Joerib
Lieutenant

What the hell kinda viewing schedule is this show on???
Joerib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 01:50 AM   #38
Christopher
Writer

This week's episode was pretty weak. Man of Action's attempts at Asgardian/troll dialogue were pretty bizarre-sounding. "Where did you get such a weapon of Asgard?" Huh? All the characterizations were one-note and repetitive, and Dr. Doom was reduced to a power-mad idiot. (Plus he was played by Maurice LaMarche, and at first he managed to do a pretty good David Warner impression, but once the action started, Doom was yelling all his lines and just sounded like Maurice LaMarche yelling, and it was hard to take him seriously when he sounded so much like Calculon.) The pacing and performances weren't very good, and the animation was rather weak and unexpressive. Plus, where the heck was Black Widow?

I've never been that impressed by the Man of Action team (although I really liked its member Joe Kelly's work on Superman vs. the Elite and what I've seen of the comic it was based on), but they've done much better than this in the past.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 12:41 PM   #39
Mr Light
Admiral

Yeah it's hard to be threatened by Kiff/Morbo/Lurr...

Old July 21 2013, 08:52 PM   #40
Christopher
Writer

I wasn't sure I wanted to watch AA this week, but I needed a distraction at 11 AM rolled around, so I turned it on. A minute or so into a sequence of the various Avengers going about everyday life -- in full costume for some reason -- there was a bit with Captain America punching a heavy bag, hitting it hard enough to break the chain, and then picking up another from a row of them.

I was annoyed enough to turn the TV off and walk away. I mean, that scene in The Avengers of Cap with all the punching bags was meaningful. It was a powerful moment that summed up Steve's frustration at being a man out of time. Its significance came from its character context, from where Steve Rogers was at that moment in his life. But here it was just an incidental bit, like we were supposed to believe this was just what Cap did every day, like it meant nothing but "Ooh, he's real strong so he breaks heavy bags." These people making the show, they just went, "Uhh, the movie had Cap do that punching-bag thing, so let's copy that." Just form and no substance, copying the surface of something from a popular movie without any regard for why it worked or what it meant. It underlined just how derivative and hollow and mercenary this show is.

I mean, yeah, it's common enough for superhero cartoons -- or even the core comics -- to do things that reflect a recent, popular film adaptation. Batman: The Animated Series had to use Tim Burtonesque designs for Catwoman and Penguin. X-Men Evolution gave Xavier an English accent. The Batman depicted a very Morgan Freeman-like Lucius Fox and gave him the same tech-support/confidante role he had in Batman Begins. But these shows had plenty of original ideas of their own, and their borrowings weren't as superficial as copying actual lines of dialogue and action beats. I don't think I've ever seen a show that was so crudely, shallowly imitative as Avengers Assemble.

Old July 22 2013, 04:29 AM   #41
Mr Light
Admiral

It goes both ways. I've read three separate comics in the past year where Black Widow says "I have red in my ledger". It's annoying

Old July 22 2013, 04:23 PM   #42
Christopher
Writer

Well, at least they're using Black Widow. AA seems to be going out of its way to minimize any female presence.