Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 22 2013, 12:30 AM   #211
Christopher
Writer

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

The Keeper wrote: View Post
Let’s face it, it’s beyond mythological to have Superman and our new Batman facing off, since they are the greatest Super Heroes in the world.”

http://batman-news.com/2013/07/20/wa...ovie-for-2015/
So they are going to be enemy's? I still don't get how that works, but I understand there is a precedent for it from the older comics, correct? Could someone who knows that story shed a little light on the dynamics of their embattled interactions together?
As mentioned already, it's a standard comic-book trope to have superheroes fight each other first and then figure out they're on the same side and work together. While the older comics portrayed Superman and Batman as equally wholesome do-gooders and best friends, comics and animated productions from the '80s onward have tended to show them starting out as rivals or uneasy allies due to their clashing methods and worldviews, and only later learning to respect and trust each other.

That is NOT a Burton/Schmacher era logo. Could they be 'retro-booting' this Batman back to a comic version, prior to the Burton era?
One can't read too much into a logo, especially not a tentative one like this. They haven't even written a script yet, let alone hired a director and art director who would determine what design to use for Batman's costume and logo in the film. When they do, they'll go with whatever logo design the art director's staff devises that the director is most satisfied with, and whether it resembles a particular comics design will be irrelevant since most moviegoers have never read the comics.

The designers of this logo probably just went with a batsymbol of that shape because the Superman shield could fit inside it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 12:32 AM   #212
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
What they're trying to set up is a DC Universe franchise, and there's no way they'd do that without Batman being an ongoing part of it.
I agree, but I think they can do that with the new Batman appearing only in team movies, rather than investing in a new series for him.

Along those lines, if they are getting a brand-new Batman for the role, they could veer a little more in the direction of character actor rather than leading man, if he doesn't have to star in his own movies.

Dream wrote: View Post
RDJ was paid 50 million for the first Avengers, and will like get more for the sequels. But Marvel Studios apparently thinks he is worth the investment since they just signed him for two sequels.

Since Marvel Studios has the massive Disney empire backing them, money shouldn't be an issue for them.
Warner Bros. ain't exactly a penny-ante operation, either.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 12:37 AM   #213
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Not sure how I feel about this. Loved Man of Steel but disliked the Dark Knight trilogy immensely.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see how it pans out.
Agree, on all thoughts here.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 01:26 AM   #214
Christopher
Writer

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
What they're trying to set up is a DC Universe franchise, and there's no way they'd do that without Batman being an ongoing part of it.
I agree, but I think they can do that with the new Batman appearing only in team movies, rather than investing in a new series for him.
Why in the world would they do it that way? Batman is the only superhero who's been consistently viable as a live-action film property for Warner Bros. in the past 30 years. I can see them using him, Superman, or both as anchors for other superheroes' films, similarly to Nick Fury's role in Marvel, but there's no way they'd put a moratorium on Batman solo films. He's their cash cow, uh, bat.

Along those lines, if they are getting a brand-new Batman for the role, they could veer a little more in the direction of character actor rather than leading man...
Isn't that what Christian Bale is?

Old July 22 2013, 01:36 AM   #215
Jax
Admiral

Who says they're trying to set up a new Batman franchise. It's too soon, and they've got plenty on their plate without investing in that.
Because the WB want $$$ and you could have this in 2015 (I think 1 year too early, a project like this needs 3 year cycle not 2) and then a Justice League movie followed by a reboot Batman, which could easily be 2019/2020 so 7 or 8 years a similar amount of time between Batman & Robin and Batman Begins.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 01:44 AM   #216
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

It's because Superman is lame and can't have his own series.
Old July 22 2013, 02:08 AM   #217
theenglish
Rear Admiral

I am hoping though that the screenplay for this movie will give some more screen time to Clark's supporting cast. We have seen enough Batman recently that we don't need more of his journey and life as Bruce Wayne. Perhaps a Bruce Wayne comes to Metropolis so that the movie will still be principally a Superman movie?
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 02:26 AM   #218
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Why in the world would they do it that way? Batman is the only superhero who's been consistently viable as a live-action film property for Warner Bros. in the past 30 years. I can see them using him, Superman, or both as anchors for other superheroes' films, similarly to Nick Fury's role in Marvel, but there's no way they'd put a moratorium on Batman solo films. He's their cash cow, uh, bat.
7 Batfilms in the last quarter century...they're just coming off a successful Bat-franchise that casts a large shadow....They'd be best to give him a rest when it comes to solo films. And giving us a new Batman who only appears in team films could generate more interest for those films in which he appears. He's been successful enough solo recently that they could afford to focus his efforts on helping the greater franchise rather than his own series.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 02:36 AM   #219
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

theenglish wrote: View Post
Perhaps a Bruce Wayne comes to Metropolis so that the movie will still be principally a Superman movie?
I'm guessing that's what they'll do.
Old July 22 2013, 02:47 AM   #220
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I've not seen everything and unsure if some is speculation.
Are they saying the S&B film is it's own thing OR that the S&B film is a de facto MoS2?

If its going to be it's own thing, great. I've thought a Worlds Finest movie was necessary before a JLA anyway.
If it's de facto MoS2 I feel it jips Superman of the necessary solo world building. Especially after the events of the film in Metropolis and Smallville.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 02:51 AM   #221
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

^^^
It's a sequel. It'll build on the events in the first film.
Old July 22 2013, 02:52 AM   #222
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

It is the defacto MOS2, and the main reason is that they want people to be psyched so they can compete with the Avengers.

It's all about money
Old July 22 2013, 02:57 AM   #223
Christopher
Writer

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
7 Batfilms in the last quarter century...they're just coming off a successful Bat-franchise that casts a large shadow....They'd be best to give him a rest when it comes to solo films.
Why? The longest "rest" that James Bond has ever been given is six years, and that delay only happened because of sales and mergers and lawsuits behind the scenes. Other than that, the only gaps longer than three years have happened because of the studio's financial troubles. They don't take a "rest" between actors or incarnations, they just try to keep going forward as steadily as possible.

Personally I don't understand the idea that a film series needs a "rest" to remain viable. Where's the benefit in letting something popular lie fallow?

Old July 22 2013, 02:57 AM   #224
Dream
Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
^^^
It's a sequel. It'll build on the events in the first film.
It'll depend on what they call the sequel. It'll either be "Man of Steel 2" or be called "Worlds Finest".
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 03:01 AM   #225
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
It'll depend on what they call the sequel. It'll either be "Man of Steel 2" or be called "Worlds Finest".
It'll function as a sequel no matter what they call it, and I don't think they'll use either of those titles. Superman vs. Batman is the most likely title in my opinion.