Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 20 2013, 06:58 PM   #16
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Re: Is DC going to be relegated as a comicbook company?

TheMasterOfOrion wrote: View Post
I have heard nothing on Superman-II, nothing on a Justice League movie.
If the rumors of what they're about to announce are true, you spoke too soon.
Old July 21 2013, 09:01 PM   #17
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

Even so I see DC studios going to snooze for a while, it seems a little too late. Even if they do Batman-Superman or plan Justice league it seems a little late off the mark. Dynamite, Image, Marvel these guys have comics running and new projects in concept, productions and post production right now. All DC have are ideas and logos, they need to get their butts moving fast otherwise other companies may pass them by

There are a whole load of comicbook ideas floating out there DrWho, Hellboy, RedSonja, StarWars.....DC needs to announce new books

As for real announcements, Marvel has interview with real actors on what a certain script is like....what its like working with such film directors
You have marketing CGI leaks, production photos in magazines on websites, easter eggs at Comic-con, cast interviews, talk about the post production process, Tom Hiddleston talking about Loki's future character development ....DC hasn't even got off the running block yet

This is what one of WB's biggest actors says on their movies only a few days ago:
“Justice League could be great if done correctly. It’s a very tough one to do because the DC Comics heroes are all godlike in their power so in the real-world setting we’re telling our story in it’s going to be tough to achieve that and it has to be done very delicately and with a lot of thought. So it won’t be right away, certainly not, or I hope it’s not anyway. It may take some time building other movies and other characters and then introduce them together in one way or another.”
“I think it would be great to do but I don’t think it’s around the corner.”

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/...-league-warner
http://screenrant.com/man-of-steel-h...gue-interview/

So Christian Bale won't be anywhere near the film, Cavil hopes they don't rush it and was kept completely in the dark about WB and DC's next phase of films

Sounds like a difficult year ahead for them

I actually see the day when DC moves away from film and comics completely, making films is an expensive process and when it goes wrong you have massive flops on your hands like Green Lantern. This year 2013 has seen some terrible box office flop

It's much easier for these companies to make money selling Batman baseball caps and Spider-Man mugs, merchandizing is an easier way to bring home the cash

Dynamite and Image and others, they seem to be some of the few left who are serious about running a comic book business.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
DC Comics had little or nothing to do with the decision not to go ahead with Whedon's take on WW. Whedon's been in Hollywood for a while and understands how it works. I doubt he holds the DC Comics responsible for the decisions of the Warner Bros movie division.
So it was the decision of WB execs? You don't think it was a mistake for them to trash Wonder Woman projects?
TheMasterOfOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 09:07 PM   #18
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Well, when you're up against a Red Sonja one-shot what can you do?
Old July 21 2013, 09:11 PM   #19
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

Dude, Red Sonja has recently run 135 issues, its one of the top comics now and may soon rival characters like Rogue, Black Widow, Wonder Woman....Gail Simone when she probably finally gets pissed off with DC management or her contract finishes I see her and other top writers and artsits moving off to Image, Dynamite, Marvel and IDW and other companies. DC is bleeding off writers like no tomorrow and some Nu-52 sales have been falling like a rock
Old July 21 2013, 09:15 PM   #20
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

I know it's been a successful long-running title for Dynamite, but putting it forward like it's something that's outdoing DC's output is ridiculous. Most months Dynamite doesn't have a single title in the Top 100.
Old July 21 2013, 11:30 PM   #21
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Dude, Red Sonja has recently run 135 issues, its one of the top comics now
It's not. Red Sonja barely cracks the 10K mark . The numbers it pulls would be numbers for cancellation if it was a Big 2 book (outside of the oddballs like All Star Western/Jonah Hex). To call it a success would be very premature imo. The same for most indie titles. Outside of the Walking Dead, they can't compete with DC/Marvel titles.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 11:46 PM   #22
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

DC is in no danger.

The worst thing Time-Warner can do is slap together films to compete with Marvel.
Old July 21 2013, 11:53 PM   #23
Dream
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
The worst thing Time-Warner can do is slap together films to compete with Marvel.
WB already did that when they made Green Lantern.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 03:38 AM   #24
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

I actually see the day when DC moves away from film and comics completely, making films is an expensive process and when it goes wrong you have massive flops on your hands like Green Lantern. This year 2013 has seen some terrible box office flop

It's much easier for these companies to make money selling Batman baseball caps and Spider-Man mugs, merchandizing is an easier way to bring home the cash
Warner Bros. and their production partners are the making the movies and footing the bill. DC Comic ( as opposed to DC Entertainment) doesn't really have to worry about taking a hit.

Dynamite and Image and others, they seem to be some of the few left who are serious about running a comic book business.
Dynamite is using licensed properties and public domain properties for the most part. let me know when they create something original. A lot Image's best books are creator owned. I'm willing to bet they'd jump at a movie or TV deal.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
DC Comics had little or nothing to do with the decision not to go ahead with Whedon's take on WW. Whedon's been in Hollywood for a while and understands how it works. I doubt he holds the DC Comics responsible for the decisions of the Warner Bros movie division.
So it was the decision of WB execs? You don't think it was a mistake for them to trash Wonder Woman projects?
I don't know,I didn't see the proposal. I'd rather a bad WW film or TV show not get made.
Old July 22 2013, 03:39 AM   #25
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
WB already did that when they made Green Lantern.
Lesson learned.
Old July 22 2013, 04:30 AM   #26
Mike Farley
Commodore

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Dude, Red Sonja has recently run 135 issues, its one of the top comics now
It's not. Red Sonja barely cracks the 10K mark . The numbers it pulls would be numbers for cancellation if it was a Big 2 book (outside of the oddballs like All Star Western/Jonah Hex). To call it a success would be very premature imo. The same for most indie titles. Outside of the Walking Dead, they can't compete with DC/Marvel titles.
A quick glance at sales numbers (for February the first month the google popped up) shows Red Sonja at just over 5,500. They would have to triple their sales just to get cancelled at DC or Marvel.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 04:32 PM   #27
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

I still believe the comic industry is dying, especially from the big two and especially from DC this industry is dying. Comics used to sell in numbers like 320,500 easily breaking 300 K. If a book does this today its major, major news. Some the 40s, 50s and 60s DC comics would sell number in the 7 million each month. In the 80s sales drop and 1990s drop but the books still sell high, like Byrne's, McFarlane's, Busieks, the Jim Lee's the Waids they were all very big books,Xmen, Spider-Man, Superman they would selling in the millions. You would see figures of 2 MILLION and 8 MILLION etc. DC and Marvel might hold onto the top 5 and top10s thanks to cashcows like Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, Xmen....these things are big brands and fanboys and kids will be this stuff no matter how crap the writing gets.
However a lot of DC books today are being kept alive only because of sales from their big brands. The Independent comics come in and books like Walking Dead, East of West, Saga...they come sometimes in beating the big two and trash sales of Flash, Fantastic Four, some Deadpool title, some Hawkman title, Green Lantern....a lot of DC's B-list stars are being beat down by Independent companies. They are beat by Independent companies and defeated easily. Hellblazer was no where near the top ten, in the past years it ranked in at 195, the Spirit was around 284 or something, Smallville the comic does very bad and Green Lantern the animated comic can't even reach the top 300, can't even stay in the top three hundred!!
Some of you guys can complain that Image, Dynamite, IDW and other independent titles sell low but clearly there are a lot of DC comics go to those shops dead on arrival and are being kept on life support.
I see a future day when titles like Mars Attacks, Star Wars, Star Trek, Godzilla, Buffy, TombRaider or video game characters and possibly Japanese manga comic in and regularly start to challenge Marvel and DC for the top40. The DC company is spread too thin today and possibly a little over exposed. Is Marvel making DC's mistakes? sure it is but it doesn't seem to suffer from the same in-fighting and office politics. DC is bleeding writers, bleeding off writers like no tomorrow and some Nu-52 sales have been falling like a rock.
Marvel is at least keeping writers or buying in new writers and artists. If you look at their movie investments, its crazy. With a big company like Disney behind them their movie studio is now buying in the top producers, writers, actors and directors of Hollywood. You look at their movies in production and its like the who is who of top Hollywood movies and directors, and each year they have new visions and new phase planned.

The whole Batman-Superman seems rushed, Cavil was blindsided by the news and Bale is finished with the franchise. Warner Bros and DC need to stop snoozing, without Nolan and Batman they wouldn't have a comic book movie business

Last edited by TheMasterOfOrion; July 22 2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old July 22 2013, 05:04 PM   #28
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

From 2009 to 2012 revenue from graphic novel sales went from $370 million to $335 million. Revenue from comic books went from $310 million to $345 million. Revenue from digital sales went from $1 million to $70 million. The industry is doing a lot better than most other sectors of publishing. Marvel and DC are in no danger of losing their position as market leaders, especially to manga, sales of which have gone down dramatically over the last few years.
Old July 22 2013, 06:30 PM   #29
CaptainCanada
Admiral

The proliferation of tablets, etc. is potentially going to revolutionize the industry in the next ten years, offering a way out of the distribution problems that have plagued the industry since the comic shop bust in the mid 1990s.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 07:46 PM   #30
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

So you look at two comics, Smallville and Green Lantern the Animated version and use those as examples that DC comics is crumbling to the ground. Bwahahahahahaha!!!
Comics in the 40's 50's and 60's sold in the millions??? Really?? In 1960 the top selling book according to publishers paid circulation was Uncle Scrooge with just over 1 million books. Superman was number 3 at 800,000. Your claim of millions is just so much hot air.
Many of DC's nu52 didnt fair very well but they at least attempted to find new audiences with titles off the beaten path instead of throwing out multiple X, Avenger, and Wolverine titles.
The comic industry is down as whole as is the entire print industry. People are finding other ways to get their information and entertainment.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote