40 and Over Club Meeting

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Jul 18, 2013.

1. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

For its 1956 models, Ford offered an optional safety package called "Lifeguard Design" which included front and rear lap belts.

Yeah, I remember those. But the topic of this thread is Politically Incorrect stuff we remember from childhood, not mere nostalgia. Besides, I thought Space Food Sticks tasted like stale, de-flavorized Tootsie Rolls.

2. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I know what the topic of this thread is. But hey, nice talking to ya. :rolleyes:

3. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

ok, something not PC - well, kindof. My mom is from a noble family but is pretty down-to-earth and practical. We have huge and quite old oriental carpets which you can not dry clean but must wash. As our house is the last one in a coul de sac we usually just put them out in the street and hose them off. It's always been a lot of fun for us kids.
    When my aunt once visited us and saw a wet carpet hanging over the fence and mom drenched to the skin, she gave her a pretty heavy dressing down in a voice a la Queen Elizabeth (imagine the famous "We are not amused...")
    We still quote her, after 40 years :D "Good heavens! We are S***ers! We don't wash our carpets in the street!"
    (Nobility and its privileges had been abolished in 1918 but someone must have forgotten to tell my aunt :D)

4. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Sorry, but I'm clueless here. Sisters? Suckers? Shitters? :confused:

5. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

My parents didn't smoke, which is a good thing because cigarette smoke used to make me ill (though I smoked in my early 20s, by which time smoke didn't bother me any more). The largest plumes of cigarette smoke I remember from my childhood is whenever I had to knock on the door of the staff room at any of my schools. The cloud of smoke that emerged when a teacher opened that door was so thick you could launch an enemy attack and literally no one could see it coming.

Ah, being thrown around the back of station wagons! :lol: I grew up in the back of Volvos. I'm the youngest of four kids, so was always stuck in the back. It was a right of passage for kids in my neighbourhood. My childhood car rides weren't all reckless, though; my dad had a rule that you had to be at least 11 years old to ride in the front passenger seat, and you always had to wear a seatbelt when driving up front. Apart from the fact that I know several people with lifelong injuries due to not wearing belts in a crash, I feel naked sitting in the front of a car without a belt on, thanks to my dad being sensible.

Also, to be a nag, I know a handful of people who may not be here today had they not been wearing bike helmets. It's not the speed at which you ride; it's the force of the car hitting you that sends you flying.

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Wearing seat belts in cars and crash helmets on bikes are legal requirements over here.

7. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Neither. I edited out the family name for reasons of privacy. (Noblesse oblige ;)) Feel free to insert any name you like. Windsors, Battenbergs, Romanovs, Hohenzollern. They all work in this context.