A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 10 2013, 03:55 AM   #16
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Re: AMT model kit catalog - 1976

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
...and let us not forget that cool scout ship!
Which (not surprisingly, considering the source) looked like a cross between a scaled-down Klingon battlecruiser and a duck.

Old July 10 2013, 04:03 AM   #17
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I'll bet they sold a lot of models of the '77 Mustang II.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 05:15 AM   #18
trevanian
Rear Admiral

publiusr wrote: View Post
Such good memories. That and the Estes 1980 catalog--and an early Corgi one on tank destroyers were my favs
Your Estes ref reminded me of how I got the Centuri 69 catalog for model rockets around my 9th birthday ... but then couldn't actually acquire any rockets or engines till around 1974, just before I got into high school. The catalog had completely disintegrated before that time, so I had hole punched every page to get it into a binder so 'when the time came' I'd be able to order that "Laser-X" rocket that hovered in my dreams. (Instead the first one I got was this little nothing -- not sure if it was Estes or Centrui -- called THE VULCAN -- gee, wonder how they settled on THAT name?)

A friend of mine bought the huge Pershing model ... I think it was 41" tall and four inches in diameter and took a 'D' engine. It was the only model rocket I've ever seen that rose SLOWLY, even majestically (sucker was HEAVY!) It only got up to maybe 100 or 120 feet before it wobbled in the air and the chute deployed, but it was so damned impressive.

On the modelmaking end ... does anybody else remember making really appalling kitbashes? I remember one a friend did for one of my first Super-8 flicks, I was horrified when I saw it.

Klingon front end and boom, attached to the cargo module from a 1999 Eagle, with Enterprise struts & nacelles coming (and drooping) off the sides of the cargomod. Even painting it black and setting it on fire didn't make me feel better about it.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:55 PM   #19
Redfern
Commodore

My buddy Kyle took the tapered triangular base some of the ship kits employed, "sandwiched" two of them into a "clam-shell" arrangement and glued the Enterprise warp nacelles upon the upper half, towards the outer edge. probably his first "kit bash".

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 12:06 AM   #20
publiusr
Commodore

I had always hoped for a replacement lower saucer for the Estes Enterprise rocket to use for display when not flying. The B/C deck was similar to the AMT--it had no grid though--as todays repops don't.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 01:41 AM   #21
Navigator_NCC2120
Captain

trevanian wrote: View Post
On the modelmaking end ... does anybody else remember making really appalling kitbashes? I remember one a friend did for one of my first Super-8 flicks, I was horrified when I saw it.

Klingon front end and boom, attached to the cargo module from a 1999 Eagle, with Enterprise struts & nacelles coming (and drooping) off the sides of the cargomod. Even painting it black and setting it on fire didn't make me feel better about it.

I did not kitbash, but in the late 1970s a friend of mine had this ugly looking plastic model rocket, that looked like it was designed in the 1950s for a low budget "B" science fiction film. It was not designed for flight, it was for show only. He knew I had Estes model rockets and solid rocket engines so he asked me to put some rocket engines inside this display model rocket to destroy it. I took it a step further and poured some paint thinner inside the second stage of the model hoping that the solid rocket engine glued the stage below would ignite the second stage compartment of paint thinner.

Well, I put too much paint thinner in the second stage compartment and when the first rocket engine exhausted its fuel the plastic model rocket fell and impacted into the ground, nose first, before the second engine was ignited by the first engine. After the second engine ran out of fuel it did ignite the paint thinner in the next compartment and there was an explosion with a big black cloud of smoke.

My friend gave the remains of the model to some kid that happened to be there to see it crash and explode and asked for it.

That kitbash you mentioned sounds hideous! I wish I could get the image of that kitbash out of my mind.

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
/\
Harvey Holroyd: [to himself] God, I miss that show. (Source: "Serial", 1980.)

Last edited by Navigator_NCC2120; July 16 2013 at 02:09 AM.
Navigator_NCC2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 03:48 AM   #22
scotpens
Vice Admiral

I had always hoped for a replacement lower saucer for the Estes Enterprise rocket to use for display when not flying. The B/C deck was similar to the AMT--it had no grid though--as todays repops don't.
I actually made a more accurate B/C deck for the AMT 18" Enterprise by using cut-up parts from the Estes model rocket, but never got around to finishing the project. I sold the half-done model to someone else, who did a great job with it.
Old July 18 2013, 02:13 AM   #23
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

scotpens wrote: View Post
TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
...and let us not forget that cool scout ship!
Which (not surprisingly, considering the source) looked like a cross between a scaled-down Klingon battlecruiser and a duck.

Roddenberry should have bought the scout design for the Klingon's own shuttlecraft.
Old July 20 2013, 07:38 AM   #24
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

Just a FYI that "UFO" kit has been re-released by Round 2, as has its non Glow-in the Dark- sister kit, Leif Ericson Galactic Crusier.
This classic spacecraft was designed by Matt Jeffries

Personally I'm waiting for the re-release of the Petty Dart next Month, and the dart Truck combo in Oct/Nov.
Old July 21 2013, 09:55 PM   #25
publiusr
Commodore

Which explains the similarity of D-7 with the scout craft of the LE
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 03:47 PM   #26
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Those kits were awesome. I had them all. Just wish I still did.

-Chris
Old July 22 2013, 04:37 PM   #27
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Which explains the similarity of D-7 with the scout craft of the LE
Which I already mentioned in post #16.

There's also a similarity between the Leif Ericson and DS9's USS Defiant, especially in the shape and placement of the engine pods.
Old July 23 2013, 12:46 AM   #28
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

scotpens wrote: View Post
There's also a similarity between the Leif Ericson and DS9's USS Defiant, especially in the shape and placement of the engine pods.
Good catch! Considering the Leif Ericson's origin and AMT association with Star Trek, the design similarities seem like more than a coincidence.

Old July 23 2013, 03:23 AM   #29
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

That's remarkable.

Take the Leif, knock off the stovepipe and the tail fins, and you've got the Defiant!
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 04:03 AM   #30
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Considering how much merchandising was done during the ModernTrek era, I'm amazed they never put out a booze bottle shaped as DEFIANT. LEIF is basically a booze bottle, but the DS9 ship would be a really cool booze bottle.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote