Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 21 2013, 08:04 PM   #166
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Regarding the amount of exposure that Batman's gotten on the big screen over the past quarter century, I'd be fine if they just used him in JL and team-up films for the time being....We really don't need another Batfilm franchise anytime soon.

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Yet, the James Bond films don't have that problem.
And most Bond films have much cooler-sounding titles than "World's Finest"...one of the examples you brought up being a noteworthy exception....

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
I have no doubt you're probably right; my problem is that I'm filtering this through the lens of a more casual/non comic book fan. I'm not the demographic the movie is aiming for. I loved Superman growing up and read some comics, but I didn't follow the comics faithfully or get into comics for any other superhero franchises, so the idea of a pairing inspires a shrug of the shoulders from me. As someone who wasn't totally impressed/blown away by MoS but who thought Cavill showed promise as the character, this disappoints me a bit. I wanted Superman to have more time on his own.
As someone who does have the comic book background, I'm generally very pleased that they're going in this direction....Superman and Batman together onscreen could be huge...WB's best shot at bringing in Avengers-type box office to date...so they might as well strike while the iron is hot and make up for lost time, rather than risk taking the time to do additional set-up movies.

Batman has to be cast perfectly.
That is the big potential weak link here.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 08:05 PM   #167
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Do you mean JON Hamm?
JoeZhang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 08:07 PM   #168
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

They're banking on Batman being that special ingredient for the Superman franchise.
He may well be. I guess I'm just too old to geek out with joy over the whole pairing/Justic League thing going on. Batman may be what the franchise needs to go over a billion, but how many charismatic actors like Ledger are there who can catch that lightning in a bottle? A billion dollars in box office receipts isn't come by easily. You've got to have repeat viewers for that. Bale's not interested and casting is going to be beyond critical. I was wrong. Snyder is only writing the story. Goyer is writing the screenplay. He wrote MoS. The script had some positives but there were some significant negatives, too.

This could be wonderful, or it could go completely south if the right balance isn't there between the characters and there's too much focus again on battles. Iron Man had the Avengers thing going on, but Iron Man was a stronger original film, IMO.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 08:11 PM   #169
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Do you mean JON Hamm?
SHIT! I more than anyone should know that! I was wondering if I spelled it wrong but after I did all that cut and pasting I did not want to edit it.

Should I do another post like that with the right spelling???

No I won't.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 08:12 PM   #170
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

I think his age would work. This would not be an origin story. Bruce should have been Batman for awhile when this happens.
Old July 21 2013, 08:24 PM   #171
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

If they go for a Batman in his early to mid-40s then Hamm or Timothy Olyphant would be good picks.
Old July 21 2013, 08:26 PM   #172
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

My theory is that Bale will do this.

He said he wouldn't work with anyone but Nolan. True. But Nolan is the producer, and often times, the producer's main job is to set the creative vision and, while not replacing the job of the person doing the casting, they often set the tone and direction and that can include finding the main actorsfor the job, leaving the casting director to fine-tune and finalize their contracts. I would guess that Blake would be Batman for a while, but he needs more experience and when Superman comes on the scene, Wayne is called into action. Wayne won't overshadow the current Batman that the public sees, so he creates a newer, rawer version of Batman that can work in the shadow the Blake version, surprising even Supes himself by breaking pattern.
Old July 21 2013, 08:31 PM   #173
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Too much backstory for what is being described up as the follow-up to MOS.That would end up with too much emphasis on Batman and Not-Batman.

Reboots between movie characters are happening with shorter and shorter gaps. A 2007 Spider-man film was followed by a 2012 reboot. I think 2015's Batman will be a new actor and new continuity but it won't be an origin story like Amazing Spider-man. I'd expect that this Batman will be about the same distance into his career as Superman will be but the makers will expect us to know the background. After all, David Goyer is hardly going to rewrite Batman Begins!
Old July 21 2013, 08:31 PM   #174
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

^^^
Nolan is an Executive Producer on the next one. That's a much more mercurial title in films than Producer. Executive Producers are often very hands off. Sometimes it's even just an honorary title with the person having almost no involvement in the film. I think Nolan will sit in on some of the script meetings and give input into casting ideas, but not much more than that.
Old July 21 2013, 08:33 PM   #175
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

It's just that Bruce Wayne and Bale are almost inseparable. Since The Superman backstory is already done, all it would take is one or two sequences where Bruce works against the current to bring him back from that cafe! A good writer can do it.
Old July 21 2013, 08:35 PM   #176
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

They'll roll the Brinks truck up to Bale's house. I have faith.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 08:36 PM   #177
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
It's just that Bruce Wayne and Bale are almost inseparable. Since The Superman backstory is already done, all it would take is one or two sequences where Bruce works against the current to bring him back from that cafe! A good writer can do it.
They could do it very easily, but whether Bale would agree to it is the big question. It looks like he won't.
Old July 21 2013, 08:39 PM   #178
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Bale would be my preference. The press release says the New Batman has not been cast yet. But to the average person this announcement this will mean Bale is Batman. He just played him last year.
Old July 21 2013, 08:48 PM   #179
marksound
Fleet Captain

I just read an article that said Snyder announced the movie at SDCC, and repeatedly referred to the "rebooted" Batman.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 08:51 PM   #180
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Snyder didn't actually refer to Batman by name at all. The press release said they have yet to cast the new Batman. There's no information beyond that so far.