Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 21 2013, 07:51 PM   #76
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Re: why is star trek original series disliked

Warped9 is entitled to his opinion, and although I seem to enjoy the Abrams films a bit more than him, I agree with that opinion more than not. For everything the Abrams films get "right" about TOS, they get at least one other thing "wrong"...IMO.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 07:54 PM   #77
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I'll never understand how anyone can see TOS in Abrams' work. It's so divorced from the source material. I will never, ever get it.

Whatever...
It's weird, but I can't understand why you can't see it, Warped9! Beyond the "feel", the sets, the uniforms, the ships are all clearly polished and shiny versions of TOS.

The "cold open" of STID on Nibiru could almost be a unused script from TOS IMHO - just pure Star Trek.
Old July 21 2013, 07:55 PM   #78
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander

I definitely think the old series is way better than the movies. But then I admit I am heavily biased towards all things classic and old storytelling styles which of course the original Trek emphasized.

However I think as far as new movies go the new star trek films are a lot of fun and are a great introduction to the original series.
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 10:39 PM   #79
Warped9
Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
And I honestly cannot see how you don't when millions of Trek fans have, and continue to, and it has enriched their enjoyment of the franchise as a whole.

It is not "divorced", it is not "lacking", is it not "against" anything, you keep saying this, have been saying it for over 4 years and conveniently cannot actually specify how, why or what exactly it is that you cannot "find" in it.

And you've had more than long enough to make even one proper attempt to do so. All I have even seen is angry, hateful, vitriolic posts condemning not only the films but attacking everyone who enjoyed it simply because you don't.

It is not fair to call thousands of people the things you have just because they enjoyed a film, yet you keep doing it and not substantiating any of it.

Frankly, I'm more sick of you and your nonsense than you are of these films, because at the end of the day, the things you rant against aren't even real, you're a very real annoyance we have to put up with daily over a form of entertaintment.

The people of this forum have the right to like all forms of Trek and not be called names and suffer your constant insinuations of them being uneducated, mentally deficient, morally corrupt or whatever other idiotic bullshit you've come out with because you can't stand something changed in 50 years.

It happens, and will continue to. TOS we be rebooted again after Abrams, you can accept it and calm down, or keep ranting and keep receiving this responce, your choice.
Millions of people around the world do things all the time I don't agree with at all and refrain from doing. If they want to inhale what's being put out then good for them. I, and others, can wait to see if someone else comes along and can re-imagine something more to our liking. I'm not someone who subscribes to the notion that just because so many x number of people are doing something then that automatically makes it right and I should be doing it as well. If something smells bad then I won't go near it no matter how many think I'm misguided for passing up the chance.

I have also been on the other side of this issue, of really enjoying something that others have disliked or even pissed on. Things like the Nolan Batman trilogy and, oh yeah, TOS.
Old July 21 2013, 11:29 PM   #80
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I have also been on the other side of this issue, of really enjoying something that others have disliked or even pissed on. Things like the Nolan Batman trilogy and, oh yeah, TOS.

Batman Begins got an 85% 'fresh' rating on Rotten Tomatoes and did $374 million dollars.

The Dark Knight got an 94% 'fresh' rating on Rotten Tomatoes and did a billion dollars dollars.

The Dark Knight Rises got an 87% 'fresh' rating on Rotten Tomatoes and nearly did $1.1 billion dollars.

Not sure whose pissing on the Nolan Trilogy (I personally don't like it, preferring Burton's Batman from 1989) but I know I'm in the definite minority. But I also don't go into every thread about those movies or any that are remotely related to voice my displeasure.

Plus, if TOS was so disliked they wouldn't have made six hundred episodes and twelve movies of follow-up material.

You're definitely free to dislike Abrams take on the franchise, I'm lukewarm myself on the first film (don't love it, don't hate it). But I think it's weird that you have to register your dislike every single time the movies are mentioned.
Old July 22 2013, 12:07 AM   #81
Mr_Homn
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
But I think it's weird that you have to register your dislike every single time the movies are mentioned.

It's equally weird that every time he or anyone else states their opinion on JJtrek that 3 or 4 people have to get on his or their case for it like clockwork. It's the internet. If someone says something that someone else disagrees with, it's not an obligation to start an argument about it. But it happens every time anyway. Like I said, it's the internet.
Old July 22 2013, 12:19 AM   #82
Warped9
Admiral

Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
But I think it's weird that you have to register your dislike every single time the movies are mentioned.

It's equally weird that every time he states his opinion on JJtrek that 3 or 4 people have to get on his case for it like clockwork. It's the internet. If someone says something that someone else disagrees with, it's not an obligation to start an argument about it. But it happens every time anyway. Like I said, it's the internet.
It's also a matter of exaggeration. I hold my tongue a lot on this issue, but that doesn't stop some from going ape over any smallest word of dissent on something they like. If I had a dime for every instance of someone pissing on TOS I'd be super rich. And, yeah, over the years a lot of people have pissed on TOS.

JJtrek is the darling of the moment and its fans and advocates will not tolerate one smidgen of expressed discontent over it. They might have something of a case if I actually went into the nuTrek forum (or even the General forum) and attacked anything and everything in there. But the fact is I don't, but they trot JJtrek here into the TOS forum and expect unbridled luv for it here as well. I'm in here to talk about TOS and as much as they resent my dislike of Abrams' stuff I resent them trotting it in here.
Old July 22 2013, 01:06 AM   #83
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
And I honestly cannot see how you don't when millions of Trek fans have, and continue to, and it has enriched their enjoyment of the franchise as a whole.

It is not "divorced", it is not "lacking", is it not "against" anything, you keep saying this, have been saying it for over 4 years and conveniently cannot actually specify how, why or what exactly it is that you cannot "find" in it.

And you've had more than long enough to make even one proper attempt to do so. All I have even seen is angry, hateful, vitriolic posts condemning not only the films but attacking everyone who enjoyed it simply because you don't.

It is not fair to call thousands of people the things you have just because they enjoyed a film, yet you keep doing it and not substantiating any of it.

Frankly, I'm more sick of you and your nonsense than you are of these films, because at the end of the day, the things you rant against aren't even real, you're a very real annoyance we have to put up with daily over a form of entertaintment.

The people of this forum have the right to like all forms of Trek and not be called names and suffer your constant insinuations of them being uneducated, mentally deficient, morally corrupt or whatever other idiotic bullshit you've come out with because you can't stand something changed in 50 years.

It happens, and will continue to. TOS we be rebooted again after Abrams, you can accept it and calm down, or keep ranting and keep receiving this responce, your choice.
If he keeps receiving this response from you, you'll be guilty of trolling instead of just being annoying and abusive.

Folks who have issues with AbramsTrek are usually quite articulate at length about their problems with it (it is pretty easy, since just about every decision they've made seems an odd one that requires an eye roll plus a 'what were they thinking?') If you don't think that is the case, why don't you look in most threads in the Abramsforum and see that there are occasional, usually long and well-written posts against ID that pop up in between the stream of gushes. Why would you be looking for some detailed critique of it here, or complaining when somebody doesn't supply it?

The whole issue of bringing new fans in that Abramsfolk seem to always glom onto is utterly irrelevant too. New fans don't change the content of the original programming (unless they contribute to the awfulness that is TOS-R), and THAT original programming is what this subforum is about.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 01:11 AM   #84
trevanian
Rear Admiral

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
I'll never understand how anyone can see TOS in Abrams' work. It's so divorced from the source material. I will never, ever get it.

Whatever...
It's weird, but I can't understand why you can't see it, Warped9! Beyond the "feel", the sets, the uniforms, the ships are all clearly polished and shiny versions of TOS.
Would you make the same claim about the SW prequels? That it is just a polished shiny version of the OT?

What I see with the Abrams films is a painful-on-the-eyes and schizophrenic design non-sensibility, with the plain floors of the brewery visible like you'd expect in a zero budget flick, and then the incomprehensible lighting in working environments, where you can't even look at a display without getting practicals shining right in your eyes. Very useful for easy reading in combat conditions, I'm sure.

To me GALAXY QUEST is far closer to TOS in spirit and style than Abrams (and tons better as well.)

And yeah, I'm doing what I said above doesn't need doing, posting a defense in this forum, but since your view is so specific, it really begs for a response in kind.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 01:19 AM   #85
Warped9
Admiral

I can't see what isn't there.
Old July 22 2013, 02:19 AM   #86
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

For me, STID is truly a return to TOS in an extremely tangible way - albeit with a shiny, modern gloss.
This is how I feel as well. Actually, the Abrams movies have really dulled how I feel about Modern Trek.
I know what you mean, Bill. I'll always adore all of Trek, but Abrams' films have entered my personal Trek pantheon joining TOS as part of the same thing, e.g., the highest quality Trek - exciting, colourful action adventure, with those wonderful, iconic characters. Honestly, I never even hoped we'd get classic Trek of this type again.

Some of the post TOS televised Trek can seem a little sterile in comparison.
^^^
Agee with all the above. I'm 50 and was one of the folks kind of wondering just what TNG would be when it debuted (and was VERY disappointed with the premiere "Encounter At Farpoint", and that the second TNG episode they aired out of the gate was a remake) -- and as TNG Season one continued felt GR had gone senile as TNG wasn't anything like TOS overall.

In my market they started sandwichiong new TNG episodes between TOS episodes (IE they'd air a TOS episode before and after a TNG episode -- sop yeah, if any die hard TNG fans think TNG was a 'smash hit' out of the gate, you couldn't be more wrong.)

IMO - the JJ Abrams reboot does bring back the sense of adventure and fun that TOS had (and again sorry, but TOS wasn't only about making a big 'social comment' -- yes it did do episodes like that from time to time -- but it wasn't every single episode. Some were just good old fashioned adventure, and I never had an issue with that then, or now.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 03:09 AM   #87
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Well, TNG was a huge hit right off the bat. It was renewed for a second season only six weeks after it premiered. Actually, the first two seasons and the fourth season of Enterprise are the only seasons of Modern Trek that I have any real affection for.
Old July 22 2013, 03:38 AM   #88
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

People want to dislike TOS...ok, whatever. People bag on Shatner??? They aren't allowed to have opinions. I'm taking their opinion privileges away. Early career Shatner is awesome.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 05:16 AM   #89
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Some don't like Star Trek.

Others don't like sex or joy.

Some people are weird.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 06:16 AM   #90
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

It's really interesting, to a certain degree, I've seen this "generational" thing almost come full circle within Trek fandom itself. Being 44, I'm old enough to recall the reported outrage from certain TOS fans when TNG was in development back in the day - "how could they - the very idea" etc.
At the time, although I'd have much rather had more TOS rather than TNG, I gave it a fair chance. More than fair, if one considers how lousy S1 of TNG was. Stewart did a damned good job taking the "WTF, the captain is a grandpa type!" out of my mind.

Abrams Trek is nice, but different. I call it "edgy" Trek. It's more alt-Trek to me.

The problem with it is that while it makes for good, entertaining popcorn movies, I don't really see it bringing n00bs into the Star Trek fandom fold who will stay. Seems to me it's a case of watch it, then forget it and move on to the next movie.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote