Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 21 2013, 06:33 PM   #151
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Christopher wrote:
Personally I'm eager for a new Batman.
I don't know. It's like I'm just not enough of a slut, for lack of a better analogy. I committed to Bale, for better or worse, and he's gone, but I'm not ready to jump on the next guy who walks in the door.

It's too soon.
Old July 21 2013, 07:04 PM   #152
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote:
Personally I'm eager for a new Batman.
I don't know. It's like I'm just not enough of a slut, for lack of a better analogy. I committed to Bale, for better or worse, and he's gone, but I'm not ready to jump on the next guy who walks in the door.

It's too soon.
I guess that makes me a jaded old courtesan since I've lived through at least five Batmen in my lifetime, so the prospect of one more doesn't faze me.

"It took a lot of Caped Crusaders to change my name to Shanghai Lil . . . ."
Old July 21 2013, 07:08 PM   #153
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I guess that makes me a jaded old courtesan since I've lived through at least five Batmen in my lifetime, so the prospect of one more doesn't faze me.
Three Batmen in eight years no less!
Old July 21 2013, 07:11 PM   #154
Christopher
Writer

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
They're using them as subtitles, which is very different from using them as standalone titles. You could use the title of Superman & Batman: World's Finest, but I don't think it would fit the mood and tone they'll be going for.
I think it'd more likely be something like Man of Steel: World's Finest. As someone mentioned, only one of the Nolan-produced DC films has actually had the superhero's name in the title.

Still, I can see the objections to the title. I'm just saying it can't be ruled out.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 07:16 PM   #155
Jax
Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
So they're doing this to boost MOS? They don't think this Superman franchise can carry a sequel with Superman alone being the main protagonist?
Its the Avengers effect that boosted Iron Man 3 and most likely will do the same for Thor & Captain America. Also if the movie is "good" then it will help negate any dodgy WoM that MOS has had and lets face it there is some and yes it probably could boost all DC movies to come.
Old July 21 2013, 07:20 PM   #156
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Can't see anything beating Superman vs. Batman for impact.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 07:20 PM   #157
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I think they should call it Superbat and make it campy as fuck.
Old July 21 2013, 07:22 PM   #158
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
^^I think it's much more obscure...the general public knows who "The Man of Steel" is, and they might have heard of "The Dark Knight", but they won't be familiar with the title "World's Finest", and unlike the previous two examples, it's very generic-sounding out of context.
Yet, the James Bond films don't have that problem.

Quantum of Solace -- what the frell does that mean? Die Another Day -- wazzawho? Neither title says James Bond to me, but the marketing behind the title makes it clear what and who it's about. No one on this Earth will know that World's Finest doesn't star Batman and Superman if Warners puts even a scintilla of marketing into the film.

Seriously, if Warners credits their audience with a modicum of intelligence and names the film straight-up World's Finest, I will fistpunch the air like there's no tomorrow.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 07:33 PM   #159
Christopher
Writer

If anything, Hollywood today seems to like obscure titles that reveal nothing about the film. Andrew Niccol's film that started out with the memorable title I'm.mortal ended up being released as In Time, which tells you nothing. The film that should've been called John Carter of Mars or A Princess of Mars or Warlord of Mars or something like that ended up being just John Carter, which is as generic as you can get. And the upcoming Tom Cruise military sci-fi movie that used to have the unforgettable title All You Need Is Kill has just been retitled as Edge of Tomorrow, which sounds like a daytime soap opera.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 07:39 PM   #160
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Its the Avengers effect that boosted Iron Man 3 and most likely will do the same for Thor & Captain America. Also if the movie is "good" then it will help negate any dodgy WoM that MOS has had and lets face it there is some and yes it probably could boost all DC movies to come.
I have no doubt you're probably right; my problem is that I'm filtering this through the lens of a more casual/non comic book fan. I'm not the demographic the movie is aiming for. I loved Superman growing up and read some comics, but I didn't follow the comics faithfully or get into comics for any other superhero franchises, so the idea of a pairing inspires a shrug of the shoulders from me. As someone who wasn't totally impressed/blown away by MoS but who thought Cavill showed promise as the character, this disappoints me a bit. I wanted Superman to have more time on his own.

Not that the movie couldn't be good, but it's got to have so many things go just right. Batman has to be cast perfectly. Snyder has got to pen a better story (Yahoo says he's writing the story). Superman has to continue to get realistic character development that isn't overshadowed by CGI battles, by Batman himself, etc. All the potential fans pulled over from the Batman franchise need to be intrigued by this version of Batman and not feel like he's getting short shrift. More mainstream fans of Nolan franchise may not be any keener for Batman to pair up with Superman. TPTB may get it right. They may catch lightning in a bottle and get it all right, but it sure seems like there's more potential pitfalls if they're already disappointed with the financial success of MoS, which I'd thought was doing well if not an overall critical success.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 07:53 PM   #161
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
...if they're already disappointed with the financial success of MoS, which I'd thought was doing well if not an overall critical success.
I don't think it's a case of them being disappointed with Man of Steel's box office exactly. It's on track to make $675-700 million worldwide. But they don't want to settle for "just" $700 million. They want to ensure that the next one makes one point whatever billion dollars, and to get to that level superhero franchises usually need a special extra ingredient. For the Batman films it was Heath Ledger's Joker. For the Iron Man films it was the "Avengers effect". They're banking on Batman being that special ingredient for the Superman franchise.
Old July 21 2013, 07:55 PM   #162
davejames
Vice Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Christian Bale come back for this one more story (assuming they decide to keep it all the same continuity). Bale did say he was done with the character, but I'm pretty sure he also said that if Chris Nolan were involved and it was a good story then he'd be up for it.
If it was just for THIS movie, I could actually see Bale being talked back. But Warners clearly wants to have this same Batman show up in Justice League and further Batman adventures as well, and it's obvious Bale has no interest whatsoever in that.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 07:57 PM   #163
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

I think Warners would delay further Batman solo films for a significant time if Bale would agree to appear in Superman vs. Batman and a couple of Justice League films. He probably won't agree to it, though.
Old July 21 2013, 08:01 PM   #164
davejames
Vice Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
I don't think it's a case of them being disappointed with Man of Steel's box office exactly. It's on track to make $675-700 million worldwide. But they don't want to settle for "just" $700 million. They want to ensure that the next one makes one point whatever billion dollars, and to get to that level superhero franchises usually need a special extra ingredient. For the Batman films it was Heath Ledger's Joker. For the Iron Man films it was the "Avengers effect". They're banking on Batman being that special ingredient for the Superman franchise.
Yup, I think that's the most likely explanation behind this. Simply throwing a villain like Brainiac or Luthor into the sequel wouldn't really do enough to grab people's attention.

But Batman? That's something that takes it to an entirely different level.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 08:01 PM   #165
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote