RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,944
Posts: 5,390,658
Members: 24,722
Currently online: 685
Newest member: Jadakiss

TrekToday headlines

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Free Star Trek Trexels Game
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

New Trek-themed Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Aug 21

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 20 2013, 10:22 PM   #226
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral
 
JanewayRulz!'s Avatar
 
Location: North America
Re: Voyager again, for the first time

As for Tuvix... I like how it set up the next ep... Resolutions.
__________________
"But life is a battle: may we all be enabled to fight it well!" Charlotte Bronte
JanewayRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 04:21 AM   #227
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Voyager again, for the first time

JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post
As for Tuvix... I like how it set up the next ep... Resolutions.
How's that? I never saw any real connection. Though it's been awhile since I watched through Voyager.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 05:47 AM   #228
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Voyager again, for the first time



(I'm assuming the OP hasn't watched Res yet.)
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 06:02 AM   #229
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Voyager again, for the first time

teacake wrote: View Post


(I'm assuming the OP hasn't watched Res yet.)
I have a more cynical view towards this:

__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 01:30 PM   #230
NightJim
Commander
 
NightJim's Avatar
 
Location: Scunthorpe, UK
View NightJim's Twitter Profile
Re: Voyager again, for the first time

Watched Resolutions a bit earlier than planned so the rest of you don't need to worry about Spoilers any more.

Damn that Tuvok, disobeying orders and cockblocking Chakotay. Another few days and Janeway would have gotten over her little protocol problems. I'd argue that the conversation with the 'ancient story' basically ended it, and it was left unsaid when they went back Janeway made it quite clear what happened on the planet stayed on the planet.

As for the connection to a previous episode, maybe not the one R.Star and Teacake are going for, more Deadlock. Everyone but Harry is willing to let the two of them go. They see the logical side of things, and it's Harry arguments that get them coming up with other ideas that can swing a more logical conversation with the new Captain. Harry, who just lost one crew, who really just watched everyone he's known for the last 2 years die, and is now in danger of losing the Captain who not only so heartily welcomed him two years ago, but also just a few months ago when 'his' captain died. Somehow, I think it'd be a much harder loss for him, having to face it again.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 10:21 PM   #231
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Voyager again, for the first time

Deadlock did factor into that episode, Tuvok said that they just blew up a vidiian ship, and would probably be considered terrorists, but the twinning of Kim wasn't mentioned during Tuvok's ruminations.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 11:15 PM   #232
NightJim
Commander
 
NightJim's Avatar
 
Location: Scunthorpe, UK
View NightJim's Twitter Profile
Re: Voyager again, for the first time

Well, yes, there is that rather obvious link I may have overlooked. I just meant from Harry's state of mind.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 02:55 AM   #233
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral
 
JanewayRulz!'s Avatar
 
Location: North America
Re: Voyager again, for the first time

R. Star wrote: View Post
JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post
As for Tuvix... I like how it set up the next ep... Resolutions.
How's that? I never saw any real connection. Though it's been awhile since I watched through Voyager.

Since NightJim has watched the ep, and since I don't know how to use them ANYWAY, spoiler tags are NOT in use.

Do you remember the tete e tete between pink night-gowned Janeway and Kes in the Captain's quarters?

KES: He said, he said that he loves me.
JANEWAY: Well, I suppose I can see how that's possible, given the circumstances.
KES: I wasn't sure what to say. At first, I was angry. But I know how he's trying to comfort me, and I know that he feels alone too. To tell the truth, he's a wonderful person.
JANEWAY: Do you have feelings for him too, Kes?
KES: No, I don't. I mean, how could I? I still love Neelix, and I'm not ready to give up on him, no matter what the Doctor says.
JANEWAY: I know how you feel. You're experiencing what people on this crew have been going through since we first got stranded in this quadrant. Do we accept that we're separated from our loved ones forever, or do we hold onto the hope that someday we'll be with them again?
KES: What do you do, Captain?
JANEWAY: Oh, I struggle with it every day. Sometimes I'm full of hope and optimism. Other times... I dream about being with Mark and it's so real. Then when I wake up and realize it's just a dream, I'm terribly discouraged. In those moments, it's impossible to deny just how far away he really is. And I know that someday I may have to accept that he's not part of my life anymore.

This scene is actually an excellent piece of foreshadowing for the whole Janeway / Chakotay dynamic that occurs in the very next episode.

It also shows one of the things about the Janeway / Kes dynamic that I loved, the way how Janeway could / would let her hair down around Kes. Tuvok may be the Captain's oldest, dearest friends, but he IS a Vulcan, afterall, and would hardly be a sympathetic ear for her to bend when her heart is challenged.
__________________
"But life is a battle: may we all be enabled to fight it well!" Charlotte Bronte
JanewayRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 08:06 AM   #234
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Voyager again, for the first time

I dunno, she seemed to find Tuvok quite an emotional anchor at times which I think is what she was looking for. Not someone to rage and sob at but someone to always offer perspective.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 07:25 PM   #235
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral
 
JanewayRulz!'s Avatar
 
Location: North America
Re: Voyager again, for the first time

I'm sorry, but I can't see discussing my lovelife with a hundred year old vulcan male who only gets hot every 7 years.

It was bad enough she ended up discussing it with the Doctor, but at least he's expressed an interest in the activity once or twice in the past.
__________________
"But life is a battle: may we all be enabled to fight it well!" Charlotte Bronte
JanewayRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 07:38 PM   #236
KaraBear
Captain
 
KaraBear's Avatar
 
Re: Voyager again, for the first time

JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post
As for Tuvix... I like how it set up the next ep... Resolutions.
How's that? I never saw any real connection. Though it's been awhile since I watched through Voyager.

Since NightJim has watched the ep, and since I don't know how to use them ANYWAY, spoiler tags are NOT in use.

Do you remember the tete e tete between pink night-gowned Janeway and Kes in the Captain's quarters?

KES: He said, he said that he loves me.
JANEWAY: Well, I suppose I can see how that's possible, given the circumstances.
KES: I wasn't sure what to say. At first, I was angry. But I know how he's trying to comfort me, and I know that he feels alone too. To tell the truth, he's a wonderful person.
JANEWAY: Do you have feelings for him too, Kes?
KES: No, I don't. I mean, how could I? I still love Neelix, and I'm not ready to give up on him, no matter what the Doctor says.
JANEWAY: I know how you feel. You're experiencing what people on this crew have been going through since we first got stranded in this quadrant. Do we accept that we're separated from our loved ones forever, or do we hold onto the hope that someday we'll be with them again?
KES: What do you do, Captain?
JANEWAY: Oh, I struggle with it every day. Sometimes I'm full of hope and optimism. Other times... I dream about being with Mark and it's so real. Then when I wake up and realize it's just a dream, I'm terribly discouraged. In those moments, it's impossible to deny just how far away he really is. And I know that someday I may have to accept that he's not part of my life anymore.

This scene is actually an excellent piece of foreshadowing for the whole Janeway / Chakotay dynamic that occurs in the very next episode.

It also shows one of the things about the Janeway / Kes dynamic that I loved, the way how Janeway could / would let her hair down around Kes. Tuvok may be the Captain's oldest, dearest friends, but he IS a Vulcan, afterall, and would hardly be a sympathetic ear for her to bend when her heart is challenged.
well, Vulcans are actually deeply emotional. They experience very strong emotions, that's why they choose to supress them. And even though tey only go throug ponn far once every seven years that doesn't mean they don't experience love in between.

I would personally love to have a Vulcan to talk to about things.I think it would be great to have a perspective on things that is based purely on logic, without hopes fears or anything getting in the way.
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 09:24 PM   #237
Katie O'Clare
Lieutenant
 
Katie O'Clare's Avatar
 
Location: Germany
Re: Voyager again, for the first time

I think Tuvok is the perfect person to talk to and take advice from when your emotions are a mess and you need a rock to hold onto. He is that rock..and I think thats what Janeway sees and appreciates. And like you guys said, since he is able to look at the situation objectively he can offer some other perspectives that Janeway couldn't/wouldn't see.

Btw, Tuvix is one of my favourite episodes...I think its astonishing that they wrote a character and found an actor to portray someone so likable in such an incredibly short time. Despite myself I found myself rooting for Tuvix in the end. I really was sad to see him go. He was such a unique character it would have been interesting to see him develop and adapt further.
Katie O'Clare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 12:13 AM   #238
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Voyager again, for the first time

JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post
I'm sorry, but I can't see discussing my lovelife with a hundred year old vulcan male who only gets hot every 7 years.

It was bad enough she ended up discussing it with the Doctor, but at least he's expressed an interest in the activity once or twice in the past.
I think Janeway wants to be de-hotted though so it doesn't get in the way of being captain.

You could always discuss it with Harry, I'm sure he's used to hearing all about people's love lifes while he languishes in the friend zone.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 01:24 PM   #239
NightJim
Commander
 
NightJim's Avatar
 
Location: Scunthorpe, UK
View NightJim's Twitter Profile
Re: Voyager again, for the first time

But then we'd get an episode of Kim thinking the Captain was coming onto him, and it end with him declaring the whole thing unfair that she's now ignoring him.

During season 1 I get the impression they were trying to do something with Kim and B'elanna, not necessarily romantic, but something, but close friends who can rely on each other. The whole 'Starfleet' nickname from Caretaker. But by season 2 it seems to be mostly forgotten except for the occasional writer would bring it up to sell a moment, but never actually give it decent screentime except when it was important, unlike the Kim/Paris friendship.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 01:36 PM   #240
KaraBear
Captain
 
KaraBear's Avatar
 
Re: Voyager again, for the first time

Katie O'Clare wrote: View Post
I think Tuvok is the perfect person to talk to and take advice from when your emotions are a mess and you need a rock to hold onto. He is that rock..and I think thats what Janeway sees and appreciates. And like you guys said, since he is able to look at the situation objectively he can offer some other perspectives that Janeway couldn't/wouldn't see.

Btw, Tuvix is one of my favourite episodes...I think its astonishing that they wrote a character and found an actor to portray someone so likable in such an incredibly short time. Despite myself I found myself rooting for Tuvix in the end. I really was sad to see him go. He was such a unique character it would have been interesting to see him develop and adapt further.
I always wondered something about Tuvix. He picked up the best qualites of both Tuvok and Neelix and was a sweetheart. But what if he picked up the worst from each. What if Tuvix had been a complete jerk? Would people have had any hesitation about getting rid of him? Would we still be discussing whether or not it was murder? Or would everyone have been happy to see him go and not given it another thought?
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.