Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 21 2013, 03:03 AM   #91
Zeppster
Commodore

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

This sounds like something to build for a Justice League movie. Better news is that there's going to be a Flash movie in 2016.
Old July 21 2013, 03:06 AM   #92
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Oh, please. It's a time-honored comic-book tradition for superheros to clash at first before teaming up against a common foe.
Superman was the only comic character I ever spent any time on as far as actually reading comics goes, so it's all new to me. Clashing with another super hero seems clichéd.

I still say this version of Superman needs a lot more character development and time to get fully fleshed out before they toss an iconic character like Batman at him. He was overshadowed enough by Jor-El's presence and the CGI battles. Cavill deserved a chance at that.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 03:14 AM   #93
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

Superman's kind of iconic himself...he can hold his own onscreen opposite Batman in a team-up film, especially if Batman's the new guy. But if they want to go the Miller route of turning Superman into a straw man to make Batman look good, that's another matter....
The Old Building & Loan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 03:19 AM   #94
Titus Andronicus
Fleet Captain

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Superman's kind of iconic himself...he can hold his own onscreen opposite Batman in a team-up film, especially if Batman's the new guy. But if they want to go the Miller route of turning Superman into a straw man to make Batman look good, that's another matter....
I doubt they'd do that, considering how important Superman is to ANY DC cinematic universe creation.
Old July 21 2013, 03:21 AM   #95
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Oh, please. It's a time-honored comic-book tradition for superheros to clash at first before teaming up against a common foe.
Superman was the only comic character I ever spent any time on as far as actually reading comics goes, so it's all new to me. Clashing with another super hero seems clichéd.

I still say this version of Superman needs a lot more character development and time to get fully fleshed out before they toss an iconic character like Batman at him. He was overshadowed enough by Jor-El's presence and the CGI battles. Cavill deserved a chance at that.
How can it be new and sound cliched?
Old July 21 2013, 03:24 AM   #96
JRoss
Fleet Captain

At least they dropped that delusion that they could get a Justice League movie out on the same day as Avengers 2.

I don't have a whole lot of faith in this one, as DC traditionally sucks at live action movies. They've only had five great ones: The Nolan Trilogy, MoS and Superman II (the Donner Cut). After those five, the only other decent ones were the Michael Keaton Batman films.

I simply can't believe how DC is so far behind everything. They should have had a Justice League movie in the vein of Avengers five years before Avengers came out. They have the most iconic characters as far as society overall is concerned.
Old July 21 2013, 03:25 AM   #97
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Superman's kind of iconic himself...he can hold his own onscreen opposite Batman in a team-up film, especially if Batman's the new guy.
Yes, but that all depends on the production team, directors, and writers crafting a good story. The MOS creative team didn't win me over. There were pieces of a very good movie and story in the film, but Superman was still so "new" unto himself as a man with abilities and powers that he seemed overwhelmed by Jor-El's memory and the spectacle of the battles with Zod. He doesn't seem "iconic" yet. The second half of the film just collapsed, IMO. It didn't do the character justice. A character this new deserves more time to fully develop and become iconic in his own right. With the addition of Batman, especially if he isn't cast well, it seems as if TPTB are throwing more things at the story before Superman becomes a complete character in his own right. I prefer slow, steady character development, but I'm not in the target demographic, I'm sure.

if they want to go the Miller route of turning Superman into a straw man to make Batman look good, that's another matter....
Exactly. That occurred to me as well. Henry Cavill and this new Superman universe needs time to come into its own or Superman could get overshadowed by Batman and the powerful back story of that character. It's all in the execution. I'd be far more excited about this idea if there was going to be a second MOS film fleshes out Henry Cavill's Superman first.

How can it [superheroes clashing at first] be new and sound cliched?
That all your famous super heroes didn't get along at one point is new to me since I wasn't an avid comic book reader at all growing up. It's the idea of two alpha males clashing and then becoming friends through adversity that seems clichéd to me.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 03:30 AM   #98
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

JRoss wrote: View Post
At least they dropped that delusion that they could get a Justice League movie out on the same day as Avengers 2.
There was a rumor they were developing Justice League for the same summer as Avengers 2, but not for release on the same day.
Old July 21 2013, 03:33 AM   #99
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

Titus Andronicus wrote: View Post
I doubt they'd do that, considering how important Superman is to ANY DC cinematic universe creation.
Then they need to get Batman's boot off Superman's neck. I was enthusiastic about this for five seconds, then they pulled out that crap.
Old July 21 2013, 03:37 AM   #100
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Titus Andronicus wrote: View Post
Then they need to get Batman's boot off Superman's neck. I was enthusiastic about this for five seconds, then they pulled out that crap.
Isn't it a quote from Miller's Dark Knight series? I think they're just trying to sell the idea that Superman and Batman won't be fast friends.
Old July 21 2013, 03:40 AM   #101
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

^They oversold it for me.

If they want to give Batman somebody to beat up, why not Aquaman? I'm sure he'd be happy for the exposure regardless.
Old July 21 2013, 03:42 AM   #102
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Isn't it a quote from Miller's Dark Knight series? I think they're just trying to sell the idea that Superman and Batman won't be fast friends.
Yeah, and that it'll be an epic encounter. Snyder specifically said it's not actually an adaptation of that comic book. People are being too literal about this.
Old July 21 2013, 03:48 AM   #103
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Batman will probably be investigating "Superman" since he caused so much death and destruction in Metropolis

Plus he destroyed one of Bruce's satellites. That was personal

Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 04:37 AM   #104
marksound
Fleet Captain

After seeing the Nolan Batman and Man of Steel, I just don't have a lot of faith that Warner and DC will be able to do a good crossover. I didn't like either of these incarnations.

They should take a step back and look at what makes these characters work. They should stop trying to update and upgrade, and get back to basics.

Casting charismatic actors in these roles would be a good first step.

On another note, I don't get what Marvel is doing. Rebooting Spider-Man? Another Wolverine movie? Another X-Men movie in the works?

Really, slow down. Don't pump movies out just because you can, but make something that is really good. The bottom line won't suffer. On the contrary, less is more. It will pay off in the end.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 04:42 AM   #105
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
On another note, I don't get what Marvel is doing. Rebooting Spider-Man? Another Wolverine movie? Another X-Men movie in the works?
Marvel doesn't control the film rights to those properties. Sony has the film rights to Spider-Man and Fox has the film rights to the X-Men. Spider-Man was rebooted so fast specifically because Sony had to make another Spider-Man movie within that timeframe or the film rights would revert back to Marvel.