To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 18 2013, 07:45 PM   #376
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
He also got a list of possible villains, where Khan was not included, and stated that one of those was definitely in it.
Who got a list? Was it Orci, or was it Devin Faraci and his never-identified "inside source"?
Old July 18 2013, 09:05 PM   #377
Yeoman Basha
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I didn't remember the comments in question, so I didn't know they were made very early in the writing process. Of course it's very possible they were just kicking around different ideas and seriously considered having that type of "villain" in STID. Then again, this group is so obsessed with secrecy and surprising the audience that it's not far-fetched to think they would resort to deliberate misdirection. Which is why I have a healthy amount of skepticism about everything the creative team says about any upcoming Trek film.

There are just so many threads left open from STID, it's hard for me to believe the writers will go with a completely new story. This line in particular stands out to me:

"War is coming! And who's going to lead us? You?"

But of course anything is possible.
Yeoman Basha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 10:05 PM   #378
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Yeoman Basha wrote: View Post
I didn't remember the comments in question, so I didn't know they were made very early in the writing process. Of course it's very possible they were just kicking around different ideas and seriously considered having that type of "villain" in STID. Then again, this group is so obsessed with secrecy and surprising the audience that it's not far-fetched to think they would resort to deliberate misdirection. Which is why I have a healthy amount of skepticism about everything the creative team says about any upcoming Trek film.
Nothing wrong with skepticism; I'm skeptical of a lot of things myself. With J.J., however, the focus seems to be less on keeping secrets and more about not letting the audience in on something before it's time for them to know - always keep them wondering, and even at the end of the story there might be a few things left untold.

Yeoman Basha wrote: View Post
There are just so many threads left open from STID, it's hard for me to believe the writers will go with a completely new story. This line in particular stands out to me:

"War is coming! And who's going to lead us? You?"

But of course anything is possible.
Anything, indeed, but I think you're probably right in figuring that at least a few leftover threads will get picked up again for the next one.
Old July 18 2013, 10:06 PM   #379
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

From IMDB:

Screenwriters Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman explained that the dilemma for the sequel was whether to pit the crew against another villain, or to have an "exploration sci-fi plot where the unknown and nature itself is somehow an adversary", like in "Star Trek"
Old July 18 2013, 10:34 PM   #380
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Would have been interesting if they could have pulled it off. Sounds like it was just too problematic to accomplish, though. That is, provided it wasn't some information smoke screen in the first place.
Old July 18 2013, 10:37 PM   #381
Cyrus
Rear Admiral

The comment came in an interview right after the first movie was released in June 2009:
http://trekmovie.com/2009/06/20/orci...fter-that-too/

exploration sci-fi plot where the unknown and nature itself is somehow an adversary or the villain model. That’s an active discussion we’re having right now. In terms of thinking about more than one movie, we want the movie to be self-contained in a way, but we’re discussing the idea of having a couple of threads where if the second movie works, you could pick up into a cohesive whole.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 11:26 PM   #382
saddestmoon
Lieutenant Commander

Those are the comments! Thanks to everyone here who could recall the references, and supply the quotes - very much appreciated! And helping establish that I wasn't imagining things!

Interesting to read - and it still raises the possibility of Trek 3 being a different type of movie again from the first two (perhaps going with this 'space as the villian' theme).

Considering Into Darkness ends with the 5-year mission beginning, I think we might see something of this 'non-villian' space exploratory obstacle plot instead (pure speculation of course) - and would encapsulate more of abrams take on the TOS context of the mission perhaps...
saddestmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 05:14 AM   #383
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

I vote "exploration sci-fi plot where the unknown and nature itself is somehow an adversary", like in "Star Trek" if my opinion counts (I know it doesn't).
Perhaps you could have a frenemy - Romulans or Klingons who ban together with the Federation for a common cause.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 03:16 PM   #384
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
I vote "exploration sci-fi plot where the unknown and nature itself is somehow an adversary", like in "Star Trek" if my opinion counts (I know it doesn't).
Perhaps you could have a frenemy - Romulans or Klingons who ban together with the Federation for a common cause.
I think if you go that route, you really need to break it out over two films. One focusing on that relationship and conflict, then the second focusing on a natural threat and them banding together in common cause to combat it.
Old July 21 2013, 01:07 AM   #385
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
From IMDB:

Screenwriters Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman explained that the dilemma for the sequel was whether to pit the crew against another villain, or to have an "exploration sci-fi plot where the unknown and nature itself is somehow an adversary", like in "Star Trek"
I don't understand.
Old July 21 2013, 01:55 AM   #386
Killerprise
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I hope the third movie never comes to fruition, they've done enough to screw up Trek. Into Darkness was hugely better than the first movie though.

Last edited by Killerprise; July 21 2013 at 06:00 PM.
Killerprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 03:18 AM   #387
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Killerprise wrote: View Post
I hope the third movie never comes to fruition, they've don't enough to screw up Trek. Into Darkness was hugely better than the first movie though.
I don't think you'll get that wish.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 10:33 AM   #388
Belz...
Fleet Captain

I hope the third movie never comes to fruition, they've don't enough to screw up Trek. Into Darkness was hugely better than the first movie though.
Please don't wish ill for the rest of us just because you don't like the product. Some of us want more Trek.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 03:58 PM   #389
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

I have a much better idea. Don't. Watch. The. Next. Movie. It's really that simple.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 04:28 PM   #390
Opus
Commodore

What?! Some people are looking forward to hating the next film.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote