Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 8 2013, 05:56 PM   #16
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Re: Buck Rogers in the 25th Century - pilot "Awakening" missing scene

RandyS wrote: View Post
I wonder if it could be a deleted scene that was shown at a convention years after the fact, and THAT is what the OP is remembering? I have both the broadcast and theatrical versions on DVD, and neither have it.

Right after I first frond this thread, I went looking for my copy of the novelization, hoping to find the scene there, but now, I can't find the book. The only thing I DID discover is that my bookcases are not filed the way I thought they were.
Book gnomes!

Nope, never been to a convention in my life. It was broadcast in 1979 and that scene stuck with me.
BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 06:12 PM   #17
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
^I didn't even know there was a novelization. I collected plenty of novelizations at the time, but I can't recall ever coming across that one. I did have one issue of the comics adaptation, though. Just one issue. I don't know why.
Yep. It was titled simply "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century" and it was written by Addison E Steele, who wrote a second book called "That Man on Beta", which If I remember correctly, was an original novel using the TV characters. You can find both on Amazon.
RandyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 03:16 AM   #18
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

It would be interesting to see what the novelization has to say.

It's kind of unsatisfying knowing that Buck spends 16 hours talking to Theo and yet never getting to hear any of it. That's a critical time for Buck, and we later hear him apologizing to Wilma for how he acted "yesterday," so it certainly begs the question of what happened in between to mellow him.

I'm glad there are some other people who remember this lost scene.
Old July 9 2013, 01:50 PM   #19
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^I didn't even know there was a novelization. I collected plenty of novelizations at the time, but I can't recall ever coming across that one. I did have one issue of the comics adaptation, though. Just one issue. I don't know why.
Yep. It was titled simply "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century" and it was written by Addison E Steele, who wrote a second book called "That Man on Beta", which If I remember correctly, was an original novel using the TV characters. You can find both on Amazon.
Addison Steele sounds like a pulp character himself. "Addison Steele in the 24 and 1/2 Century!!!!"
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 02:16 PM   #20
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post

Addison Steele sounds like a pulp character himself. "Addison Steele in the 24 and 1/2 Century!!!!"
Direct descendant of Remington.
Old July 9 2013, 03:57 PM   #21
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I think his real name was Richard Lupoff.
RandyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 06:55 PM   #22
Christopher
Writer

^That's right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Lupoff

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 09:17 PM   #23
publiusr
Commodore

Someone finally made a model of the Draconia I see
http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=28970

I think one of Frank Gorshin's best roles was in Buck Rogers
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:51 PM   #24
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

publiusr wrote: View Post
Someone finally made a model of the Draconia I see
http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=28970
I can hear that polytonal Stu Phillips cue just by looking at it.

I guess the reason this missing scene stuck with me all these years is that in a way it's the emotional center of the story. Man from the 20th century is suddenly confronted with images and an outline of what happened to his beloved Chicago and his whole world while he slept for 500 years. He stares at it, not wanting to believe the story, while we try to imagine how we would feel in that situation.

Then we're right with him as he asks Wilma for more information, starts going from denial to other stages of grief, sets out for the ruins to learn the truth in spite of the danger. Even in the final "tag" sequence in his apartment we gain more sympathy for his reluctance to get involved in the business, or the people, of the 25th century for fear of losing everything again. All because we were with him in that room at the beginning.

Shame they took it out. I hope I live to see it if it's ever recovered.
Old July 20 2013, 02:18 PM   #25
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Got a used copy of the novelization.

As I suspected, the book doesn't have any of the scenes that were added specifically for the TV version, so no references to Anarchia, Buck's apartment, or any of that. Certainly not the scene this thread was about.

The novel seems to have been based on the shooting script for the movie; it includes some dialogue that was omitted from the final cut of the film (like Theo's comment on Buck's blue eyes) and some custom filler material (including the subplot about the traitor on the Computer Council).
Old July 20 2013, 05:40 PM   #26
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Re: Got a used copy of the novelization.

BoredShipCapt'n wrote: View Post
it includes some dialogue that was omitted from the final cut of the film (like Theo's comment on Buck's blue eyes)
Did Twiki say Buck was beady-beady-beady-eyed?
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 10:03 PM   #27
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Was Buck a movie first then the tv pilot or was it like Galactica where they had the TV pilot and hacked it up into a movie?

-Chris
Old July 20 2013, 10:34 PM   #28
Christopher
Writer

cbspock wrote: View Post
Was Buck a movie first then the tv pilot or was it like Galactica where they had the TV pilot and hacked it up into a movie?
Like the Galactica pilot, it was shot as a TV pilot, but was released theatrically as a movie before the series premiered.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 11:58 PM   #29
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

Yes I had both of them, only things I remember distinctly were Buck seeing a Draconian fighter diving at him at an "impossible angle" during the fake pirate attack, and in That Man On Beta, Wilma looking at Buck in shock when Ardala is describing his physical prowess (Ardala was discussing physical tests, but in such a way that Wilma thought she was talking about sex!).

I don't remember any missing scene from Buck Rogers, but I missed the initial broadcast of Awakening on ITV as my family were on holiday that weekend.
Old July 21 2013, 03:22 AM   #30
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

cbspock wrote: View Post
Like the Galactica pilot, it was shot as a TV pilot, but was released theatrically as a movie before the series premiered.
And then several new scenes were shot for the TV broadcast, many of them intended to help set up the series after it got the "green light." A few bits of the theatrical version were also cut from the final broadcast version... also like the Galactica pilot.