Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 20 2013, 04:28 AM   #1
propita
Rear Admiral

Turning 50 on the 22d...

...and I feel a bit depressed. I used to look forward to my birthday, even if we didn't make a big thing out of it. Now? Not so much.

I'm not looking at my mortality and wondering if I left a mark or anything. I know that I've helped people, especially classmates, do and become things they honestly might not have done without some help at the right time. I may not directly impact the world, but, as I've said in the past, I've been the catalyst to help others do big things.

But I'm down a bit. My husband wants to take me out on Sunday, but I know what will happen. We'll make a reservation someplace nice, then he'll get upset about something am hour before, start an argument, and things either get cancelled or have a cloud over them. I just don't want that for a birthday dinner, especially this one. I'd rather do nothing than have that memory for a 50th birthday.

Any ideas for the birthday blues?
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 04:50 AM   #2
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Turning 50 on the 22d...

You need to go out and spend money on yourself ALL Sunday without your husband. Meet him at the restaurant so he won't have the chance to be a downer beforehand. Be a little drunk when you get there, so if he starts griping about something you don't care.

I have learned one thing about birthdays and other "special" events. Plan to make it special yourself in a satisfying way and don't depend on other people to do it, or participate in it. Sure you would rather they did so, but making it special for yourself has less disappointments.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 10:51 AM   #3
Australis
Writer

Youngster...
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 01:29 PM   #4
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

I agree w/ Teacake's suggestion that you do something else special for/by yourself earlier in the day. Or on Monday, since that's your actual birthday.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 06:39 PM   #5
propita
Rear Admiral

Thanks, guys (and gals)!

My mood darkened and deepened yesterday. Then my husband decided to try to "cheer me up." It had been a couple of weeks, due to heat and fatigue. Guess what?!

I'm addicted to endorphins. Must've been going through withdrawal, because all the sadness left.

I'm actually being serious. Sex cured my blues. I told my husband that, as a pharmacist, I'll need him to provide more regular refills of this prescription.

Last edited by propita; July 20 2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old July 20 2013, 06:54 PM   #6
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Turning 50 didn't bother me much at all. Turning 35 bothered me more than 40 and 50 did. But hitting 60 was a bit of a downer. On the bright side, it's better than the alternative.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 07:35 PM   #7
marksound
Fleet Captain

50 is a breeze. It's just a number, so who cares? It goes by so fast you'll hardly know it happened, and then you'll be 51.

My little sister is 51 and my baby brother will turn 50 in February. Man, they're getting old.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 08:02 PM   #8
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Good solution, Propita! Cheap, too. I'm glad you're feeling better.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 11:18 PM   #9
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

My hair is almost completely gone. I have gray hairs salting my dark brown pepper hair, on my arms, and up-top. Seriously, I used to hate my curly hair. It was so unmanageable, so I guess I got what I asked for. Lines are getting deeper in my face. My eyes look tremendously tired. They say beauty doesn't last forever. I'm not sure I was ever beautiful, but the youth is definitely fading. Not even 30 yet.
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 12:00 AM   #10
propita
Rear Admiral

I knew a boy at 14, had red hair like Chuckie from Rugrats. At 25, it was like Picard.

Here I am at 50 and my only white hairs are a couple in my eyebrow. I'm told I have a chance of having very few gray hairs otherwise. And nobody thinks I'm turning 50; they usually say, "not even 40!" So I'm not complaining about that either.
Old July 22 2013, 02:05 AM   #11
Velocity
Rear Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
Turning 50 didn't bother me much at all. Turning 35 bothered me more than 40 and 50 did. But hitting 60 was a bit of a downer. On the bright side, it's better than the alternative.
When I turned 60, I was sort of surprised how pleased I was to have reached this age. That was mostly because I could retire, but I find myself telling people that I'm 60 with no qualms. Nice to get those "senior" discounts.
The main downside to 50 is menopause. Maybe that's why 60 isn't such a big deal. I hope you have a fun birthday and enjoy yourself.
Old July 22 2013, 04:52 AM   #12
Leith Jones
Vice Admiral

Velocity wrote: View Post
The main downside to 50 is menopause.
Huh?! That's the best part!

I hope you have a fun birthday and enjoy yourself.
Yes - have a wonderful birthday.

I turned 50 almost 5 years ago. I am more comfortable and satisfied with myself than I ever have been. The main downside is the lack of energy.

There's a lot of life on the other side of 50 and it is good.
Old July 22 2013, 04:56 AM   #13
Gaseous Anomaly
Wacked out trippin dude™

Well it's less than an hour away so a very Happy Birthday to you. Cheers!

Gaseous Anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 10:04 AM   #14
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Happy Birthday! Looks like I noticed this thread just in time.

I hope you had a good dinner with no drama. What you should do is buy yourself a present-- something you've wanted for a while, but wouldn't normally buy.

And when you think about making a mark on the world, don't forget to take into account the Butterfly Effect. You didn't just help those people you've encountered-- you've also set an example. Many of them will remember that and go on to help others. Your goodness and kindness will ripple out into the world and into the future immeasurably; you'll never know the extent of the good that you've done.

As for turning 50, it didn't bother me at all. Mostly because I don't really believe I'm that old. I don't feel any different than I did 25 years ago. I got a touch of gray and maybe some new laugh lines on my face (and I've definitely gained a bit of weight, but that just brought me up to normal). As far as I'm concerned, I'm going to live forever and there's no evidence to dispute that assumption.

Last edited by RJDiogenes; July 22 2013 at 10:52 PM.
RJDiogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 05:17 PM   #15
propita
Rear Admiral

I'm really not too worried about getting older, as some might think. We recently visited friends we haven't seen in years and they said I looked pretty much the same as ever. I am on meds I never was at 40, but that's about it.

Grape, I agree. I/we try to set an example, and when people ask how they can repay, we tell them to pay it forward. People did for us when we needed it and wouldn't take anything for their help, so....

Well, I woke up to birthday text messages, these posts, and a nice "Happy Birthday" from Hubby. And he said that being with me was the best part of his life. Best present I could get!

Dinner last night was just fine! Delicious prime rib, and when the chocolate lava cake was brought out for us to share, Hubby sang me Happy Birthday. Well, he tried to sing it. He said that he did not know the words. I think he was serious because I had to coach him. He practically NEVER sings, so I can believe that he never paid attention to the lyrics--but they're really not that hard, right? But he was very sweet and that's what really matters.

So thanks to all!

Funny coincidence: If the royal baby is born today, we will share the birthday. Hubby's birthday is the same as Prince William's!