RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,715
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 778
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 22 2013, 10:09 PM   #16
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Re: Cytherian or Not

BillJ wrote: View Post
Bad episode, bad movie. Don't really care if they're connected or not.
I can't agree. I found "The Nth Degree" one of the more enjoyable TNG episodes. The only plausibility thing I struggled with was Barclay "transferring" most of his consciousness into the ship's computer. Perhaps a different kind of being could do that, but not the human mind no matter how much you increased intelligence. It's simply not possible given the way the human brain works.

The "Cytherians" was another one of those enormous technology infusions for Starfleet that went nowhere. Given all they learned about how space could be warped and take the Enterprise across vast distances in practically no time, you'd think that this would be quickly adopted. But no, it was forgotten never to appear again.
Old January 22 2013, 10:17 PM   #17
Melakon
Rear Admiral

They did a good job with the laser light show scene though. The stage crew was really proud of that.
Old January 23 2013, 10:58 AM   #18
Timo
Admiral

The "Cytherians" was another one of those enormous technology infusions for Starfleet that went nowhere. Given all they learned about how space could be warped and take the Enterprise across vast distances in practically no time, you'd think that this would be quickly adopted. But no, it was forgotten never to appear again.
Well, if the Cytherans were related to the ST5 God, they would have had the ability to make seemingly reasonable people believe impossible and silly things, and forget all about other things that made perfect sense. The heroes would definitely not have left the center of the galaxy with all of their marbles...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 12:32 PM   #19
Captain McBain
Captain

Location: Being congratulated on the bridge of the Enterprise after making captain

Timo wrote: View Post
Indeed, we aren't really even dealing with "a species of floating heads" here - basically every species in the galaxy communicates through projecting talking heads, and it's just a matter of tech balance whether the projection is on the opponent's viewscreen or somewhere else.

Timo Saloniemi
How can you possibly know that? Maybe the Cytherians are incorporeal.
Captain McBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 12:57 PM   #20
Luminus
Fleet Captain

Captain McBain wrote: View Post
What do you think of the speculation that the trapped being from Star Trek V could be a rogue Cytherian? I'm sure some of you have heard this idea.
Okay, I'm really late to this party, but... Joe Menosky, who wrote the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode The Nth Degree, suggests that the creature is one of the Cytherians. The side-effect of this is that it brings to light the massive issue with the use of warp in Star Trek V as the galactic core is 30,000 light years away from the Enterprise D's current position in the television episode.

"The Face of Boe they called me."
Luminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 04:37 PM   #21
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

^Also the question of how the classic Enterprise reached the galactic rim in WNMHGB, or how the Romulan Neutral Zone went from being so far flung that communications to HQ took days to go back and forth in "Balance of Terror" and "The Neutral Zone" to a quick warp jump away in Star Trek: First Contact with a live play-by-play of the battle in Sector 001.

The Speed of Plot drive is a miraculous thing
Old July 16 2013, 05:47 PM   #22
sonak
Vice Admiral

he could just as easily be a wrong member of a lot of other super-powered groups that we saw, like the Thasians or the Metrons or the Organians.

since that movie wasn't exactly the best received of the films, it hasn't gotten a lot of speculation.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 01:18 AM   #23
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Cytherian or not having a giant head is never good for an episode/movie.
Old July 17 2013, 11:01 AM   #24
Luminus
Fleet Captain

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
^Also the question of how the classic Enterprise reached the galactic rim in WNMHGB, or how the Romulan Neutral Zone went from being so far flung that communications to HQ took days to go back and forth in "Balance of Terror" and "The Neutral Zone" to a quick warp jump away in Star Trek: First Contact with a live play-by-play of the battle in Sector 001.

Actually, regarding TNZ, that's conceivable since the episodes in question are literally separated by nearly a century.

Old July 17 2013, 09:45 PM   #25
Admiral

^Just 8 years from "The Neutral Zone" to ST:FC.
Old July 20 2013, 08:13 AM   #26
Luminus
Fleet Captain

No. I'm talking about in-universe years. It's over 70 years passed between episodes. Technology obviously changed.

Old July 20 2013, 01:23 PM   #27
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
It's the first I've heard of it, and sounds to me like an attempt of fannish retconning, trying to position TNG as "real" Star Trek at the expense of anything else.
More likely an attempt to make STV seem like "real" Trek....
The Old Mixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 01:38 PM   #28
Crazyewok
Commander

It might depend what part of the neutral zone they are at.

I always thought the closest part was just beyond Alpha centuri but the neutral zone extends dozens of light years so another part could be a hundred odd light years away.
Crazyewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 01:55 PM   #29
Admiral

^It looked like a big red wireframe jellybean in Wrath of Khan

Luminus wrote: View Post
No. I'm talking about in-universe years. It's over 70 years passed between episodes. Technology obviously changed.
I think you're confusing the TOS episode "Balance of Terror" with the TNG episode "The Neutral Zone". It's 8 years in-universe between that episode and the movie Star Trek: First Contact.
Old July 20 2013, 02:08 PM   #30
Admiral

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
It's the first I've heard of it, and sounds to me like an attempt of fannish retconning, trying to position TNG as "real" Star Trek at the expense of anything else.
More likely an attempt to make STV seem like "real" Trek....
And how exactly does one differentiate this "real" and "unreal" Trek...?