Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 19 2013, 07:26 AM   #3331
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Re: The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

I've been meaning to start participating in this thread for months now, but I wanted to wait until I had my room all cleaned up and everything properly displayed first so I could start off with some shots of my collection. Unfortunately I'm a huge procrastinator, and as such my collection is mostly either in boxes or stacked (in package) haphazardly on shelves. So instead I'll start off with words, with pics to come later.

I had collected a decent sized collection when I was younger, though at the time it was all play instead of display. My biggest collections were The Real Ghostbusters and Star Trek. My folks often got me the more "desirable" (expensive ) items, such as the Ecto-1, firehouse, proton pack and ghost trap from Ghostbusters, the Megazord from Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, the Technodrome and Sewer Lair playsets from TMNT, the bridge from Star Trek TNG.

I had quite the Trek collection. Several TNG figures, with a few DS9 in the mix. I also had the bridge, shuttlecraft, and engineering, as well as the type-2 phaser and the comically oversized type-1.

But then I grew up, and stopped playing with them so much. A great deal of my old collection ended up tossed, with most of the rest deep in boxes somewhere. I was certain that my collecting days were over, having no real desire to "play" any more.

But when Diamond Select started making Stargate SG-1 figures, I had a change of heart, thus beginning my "modern" collection. I bought the heck out of the SG-1, and later Atlantis, lines. I now own the vast majority of their Stargate figures, almost all of what I don't have being variants I don't care about.

Over the years I've also collected figures from Star Trek, Halo, DC/Marvel, and a smattering of other stuff. But my largest collection has to be Doctor Who. I was a huge fan from day 1 (well, day one of the "new" show), so I was eager to start buying the figures once they became available here.

Sorry for the walls o' text. tl;dr: I own a bunch of cool toys.
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 04:20 PM   #3332
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The Halloween System in the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View Ghouleddie74's Twitter Profile

For the moment the Amazon preorder price for the new, exclusive Vintage Collection Slave I is only $69.99, a whopping $30 off the initial preorder tag of $99.99. I imagine the big discount won't last long, so if you want the new retro Kenner Slave I and don't want to shell out a ridiculous amount for a non-electronic ship of this size with just a small handful of accessories then go ahead and do so before Amazon changes its mind.

It's very likely we'll see even deeper price cuts for the ship after the release date comes and goes and they realize that they can't get rid of as many of them as they'd like, but for now $69.99 is the best deal around.
Old July 19 2013, 07:37 PM   #3333
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

^ They are going to have to do way better than that if they think I am shelling out any cash for it. Sorry Hasbro.

But on the opposite end of the spectrum, I am definitely shelling out the cash for the 6 inch Black Series figures. I MUST have them. They are so pretty! Preordered!

On another subject, I read the other day that they are releasing some gift sets that have a number of the Doctor Who Companions, including K-9. Since I missed purchasing my favorite Companions when they first came out I am snagging this set. (Preordered at Entertainment Earth!) They will go nicely with my Doctors.

“Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” ~ The Doctor
AstroSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 10:25 PM   #3334
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

I have that same Doctors set. It is awesome.

So, do you love DC Comics? Do you love action figures? Do you know anyone that does? If so I am going to beg and freaking plead that you go buy a subscription to the 2014 Club Infinte Earths right here. There's even monthly or quarterly shipping options this year in order to save you some cash.

This year, if enough people subscribe, the club exclusive figure will be Doomsday in his green containment suit. However, if we get enough subscribers to reach Tier 2, we will get the more iconic Unleashed version

Seriously. I want that iconic Doomsday. DC collectors have been waiting forever for a properly bulky one. Tell your collector friends. Tell them to subscribe. They've already revealed three of next year's figures: 90's (hook hand) Aquaman, Ice, and Superboy (Conner Kent.) Those are three huge fan-demanded characters.
Old July 19 2013, 11:37 PM   #3335
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, $69.99 for the new Slave I is still artificially inflated and too high (especially considering that the Vintage Collection TIE Interceptor - just as large if not bigger - will be sold on Amazon for $49.99 regular price), but given how exclusives are treated by online retailers these days it's a lesser of two evils situation and sites like Amazon will milk as much as they can out of these things while they can to pad their profits.

For the record, the 2002 Slave I from Attack of the Clones came with almost precisely the same features and accessories (pretty much everything except the Han in Carbonite, naturally) and retailed for only $39.99 at most retail outlets in the country. True, that was eleven years ago and the costs of labor and materials have gone up noticeably since then, but $100 for more or less the same item that sold for $40 just a handful of years before is pushing it and I'm glad a lot of people have been holding out for a significant markdown.
Old July 20 2013, 12:01 AM   #3336
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

So that's it then. DC Unlimited is dead. Mattel showed of their new DC Total Heroes 6" line which features less articulation and a cartoony style. Now the only way to get the excellent figures that we've been enjoying for years will be through Club Infinite Earths. There is no more retail. Sigh.
Old July 20 2013, 12:41 AM   #3337
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Looks like i'll be getting that Doomsday through BBTS. Both versions look tremendous.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 12:56 AM   #3338
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

^^ A The new DC line is rather yuck. To be honest I have never been all that interested in them (despite my love for the characters) because they never grabbed me visually. I have only three in my collection, the Justice League: Classic Icons, Series 1 Wonder Woman, Batman, and Superman. (I missed getting Green Lantern.) I bought those because I loved the sculpt for Wonder Woman. It is one of the very few I felt made her look strong but beautiful rather than overly sexual.

As for the rest of the stuff coming out of Comic Con, I love Mattel's Classic Television Batman series. Those are going into the collection. I am also very impressed with NECA's Alien series. But the real winner is the peek at the second wave of the Star Wars 6" Black Series. I can't wait to get my hands on those.

“Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” ~ The Doctor

Last edited by AstroSmurf; July 20 2013 at 04:14 AM.
AstroSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 03:13 AM   #3339
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Looks like i'll be getting that Doomsday through BBTS. Both versions look tremendous.
Doomsday is the club exclusive figure. They don't offer those to other retailers. If you want Doomsday, subscribe. If there aren't enough subscriptions, the figure isn't happening at all.
Old July 20 2013, 06:10 AM   #3340
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I've been wondering when the Damian Wayne figure that was shown earlier this year will finally be released. Unless that isn't happening anymore.

Old July 20 2013, 06:35 AM   #3341
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Damian has been officially canceled. There's speculation that he could turn up in the 2014 sub, but nothing has been mentioned in regards to getting him to us.
Old July 20 2013, 06:49 AM   #3342
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I figured that was what happened. Oh dear. That was my only chance to get a figure...I'm not paying inane prices on ebay lol for the Batman Incorporated one.

Old July 20 2013, 06:56 AM   #3343
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

I have to say, primitive throwback articulation aside, the new $5.99 Saga Legends Stormtrooper due in a later wave actually looks really, really good for an action figure that comes armed with 1995 joints and a 1996 pricepoint.

Check out some of the photos from today's Hasbro Star Wars presentation. There's some junk in there, but also a handful of gems.
Old July 20 2013, 07:40 AM   #3344
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
Check out some of the photos from today's Hasbro Star Wars presentation. There's some junk in there, but also a handful of gems.
6-inchers, awesome! I love Star Wars and have been wanting to collect, but the traditional Star Wars figures were just way too small for my tastes. This is great news.
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 07:41 AM   #3345
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Han....Greedo....Slave Leia....Boba Fett....R2....X-Wing Luke....Darth Maul....Sandtrooper....and that's just for starters in the first two waves!