USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old July 20 2013, 05:24 AM   #1
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

Kira in charge of the Defiant

There are a few episodes where we see Kira command the Defiant when Sisko isn't on board. This sorta strikes me as odd. While clearly Kira is a gifted soldier and a talented leader, shouldn't she generally be staffing DS9? I can understand having her on board for a given mission where her expertise may be needed, but the frequency of her time on the Defiant seems odd, especially once Worf showed up at the station.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 05:43 AM   #2
Caesar753
Commander

Re: Kira in charge of the Defiant

This always struck me as strange. Her role on DS9 makes perfect sense, since the station was Bajoran territory which was run by the Federation. The Defiant, however, was a Federation starship, and one would think that Kira would have not authority there.
Caesar753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 05:48 AM   #3
Tosk
Rear Admiral

She's still Sisko's 2IC though. It'd be weirder if Kira's authority evaporated the moment she stepped on board Defiant.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 06:15 AM   #4
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

As XO, Kira could command DS9 and deal with Starfleet in Sisko's absence, so why not Defiant?
Old July 20 2013, 06:26 AM   #5
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Struck me as weird too. Her authority is really only present in the Bajoran system. Her job wasn't ever even described as Xo, but liaison officer. That does include dealing with allied governments regarding the station.

It would be like having a British officer commanding a US ship during world war 2 just because they're allies.
Old July 20 2013, 06:37 AM   #6
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

The thing is that Defiant was assigned to DS9, and as such was a part of the station's vehicle inventory. There were no problems with Kira taking out and commanding the other Starfleet-built vehicles there prior to its arrival.
Old July 20 2013, 06:40 AM   #7
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Yeah... just because the US deployed a carrier group in Australia during WW2 doesn't mean one of their officers gets to stroll onto the deck of the Enterprise and command it.
Old July 20 2013, 06:40 AM   #8
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
As XO, Kira could command DS9 and deal with Starfleet in Sisko's absence, so why not Defiant?
Commanding a starship is a position you train for, but Kira never did. Kira is a ground soldier assigned to a administration job.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 09:08 AM   #9
Roboturner913
Lieutenant Commander

There is a scene somewhere mid-series where Sisko tells her he could easily get her a Starfleet commission if she wanted one; indicating that she is very trusted even by the admiralty.

Besides, Kira piloted runabouts on numerous occasions before the Defiant came along. You'd assume there was some kind of training/certification program through Starfleet at some point.

It's more believable than a 15-year-old kid flying the Federation flagship, or a noncom being chief engineer of maybe the most important station in the Federation.
Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 11:08 AM   #10
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
Yeah... just because the US deployed a carrier group in Australia during WW2 doesn't mean one of their officers gets to stroll onto the deck of the Enterprise and command it.
Not remotely the same situation, though. With DS9, you had a facility operated jointly by Starfleet and Bajoran forces.

T'Girl wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Commanding a starship is a position you train for, but Kira never did.
Given how easily Kira commanded the Defiant, I'd say that Kira did receive command training sometime earlier.
Kira is a ground soldier assigned to a administration job.
And Sisko was an engineer assigned to an administration job; it appeared that both had command training somewhere between those jobs (Sisko on different ships, Kira in the Bajoran Militia)

Roboturner913 wrote: View Post
There is a scene somewhere mid-series where Sisko tells her he could easily get her a Starfleet commission if she wanted one; indicating that she is very trusted even by the admiralty.

Besides, Kira piloted runabouts on numerous occasions before the Defiant came along. You'd assume there was some kind of training/certification program through Starfleet at some point.

It's more believable than a 15-year-old kid flying the Federation flagship, or a noncom being chief engineer of maybe the most important station in the Federation.
Exactly. But I think in the case of that noncom, DS9 wasn't originally considered that important an assignment and the operations chief billet didn't warrant anyone higher (during the Dominion War, O'Brien may even have been offered an officer's commission off-screen but turned it down).

Last edited by C.E. Evans; July 20 2013 at 02:38 PM. Reason: repeated word
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 01:05 PM   #11
MacLeod
Admiral

Well Sisko was the first officer of the USS Saratoga, so we know he had command experiance, he might have started off in Engineering though.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 01:12 PM   #12
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Caesar753 wrote: View Post
This always struck me as strange. Her role on DS9 makes perfect sense, since the station was Bajoran territory which was run by the Federation. The Defiant, however, was a Federation starship, and one would think that Kira would have not authority there.
She has when Sisko says so.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 02:10 PM   #13
Timo
Admiral

And that's pretty much it - Sisko said so because he wanted to send a message.

Say, in "Sons of Mogh", we have "Hey, Klingons! Don't be fooled into thinking Bajor is not under Starfleet protection just because it's not an UFP member. I can give Bajorans full control of state of the art weaponry any time I so choose. And now I so choose.". The more such a thing goes against Starfleet regulations or common sense, the more powerful the message...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 05:08 PM   #14
wingsabre
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think what stands out more is when the DS9 crew leaves on the Defiant, they essentially left the command structure at the station empty. I'm sure there's a secondary crew and other senior staff on the station that's not part of the main cast, but from my perspective none of the senior staff remained to deal with possible emergencies.
wingsabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 05:25 PM   #15
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

It could be said that when they leave on Defiant, they are dealing with an emergency situation with the station left in the hands of a competent junior staff that does have the ability to hold things together until they return.