Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 20 2013, 02:03 AM   #31
marksound
Fleet Captain

Re: Can Mainstream Rock Music Survive

Aerosmith had a big run in the late 70s, and made an amazing comeback in the 90s. I was floored at the number of great songs on the Pump album that were commercially viable. There wasn't a dud on the thing, and every song could have been released as a single. They became a virtual hit machine.

Let's not forget Eric Clapton. That man (one of my personal heroes) has done everything you can do with a guitar in your hands and has managed to continually create great music for 50 years. And he's still going strong.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 02:16 AM   #32
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
Over the decade, we have seen Hip Hop and Pop music dominating the music charts. I do listen to current Hip Hop and Pop music and i do like some of them but having grown up both as a kid in the 1980s and as a teenager in the 1990s, i do have a soft spot for Rock music. I would certainly like to see Rock back as a force on the mainstream charts.

The last great period when Rock had a strong presence in the mainstream music charts was in the 80s (glam metal, arena rock) and early 90s to mid 90s (grunge, alternative rock). The early 2000s did see some good rock bands on the mainstream charts like Korn, Saliva, Slipknot, Fuel and Puddle of Mudd.
I think there's a perception bias here. To put it in perspective, Nirvana never had a single that made number one in the Billboard Top 100. Instead of Smells Like Teen Spirit, it was Paula Abdul, Color Me Badd, Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch (yes Mark Wahlberg had a number one hit before Kurt Cobain), and Mariah Carey.

In the 2000s, Korn, Saliva, Slipknot, Fuel, and Puddle of Mudd never got a hit close (Puddle of Mudd got closest). They're also all terrible (OK, I like Puddle of Mudd because they're damn catchy, but they're still a terrible band). Besides, if we're only going by subjective opinions of good bands, Muse, Of Monsters and Men, Cage the Elephant, Mumford and Sons, Rise Against are all quite good.
Old July 20 2013, 02:26 AM   #33
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Perhaps a heart felt plea will help?

A clearer definition?

An unbiased testimony?

The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 05:09 AM   #34
EmoBorg
Captain

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
In the 2000s, Korn, Saliva, Slipknot, Fuel, and Puddle of Mudd never got a hit close (Puddle of Mudd got closest). They're also all terrible (OK, I like Puddle of Mudd because they're damn catchy, but they're still a terrible band).

Blasphemy
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 06:48 AM   #35
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

The popularity of music styles all come in waves, so the definition of mainstream will always be evolving to present what's most popular in a current generation, often tied to new techniques and equipment available. After awhile, some styles make a major comeback, like the bluegrass revival already mentioned, the celtic music of the 90's, and so on. But yes, as someone already mentioned, it's heavily dependent on demographics. Where someone lives will definitely have a different view of what's more popular.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 08:39 AM   #36
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Over the decade, we have seen Hip Hop and Pop music dominating the music charts. I do listen to current Hip Hop and Pop music and i do like some of them but having grown up both as a kid in the 1980s and as a teenager in the 1990s, i do have a soft spot for Rock music. I would certainly like to see Rock back as a force on the mainstream charts.

The last great period when Rock had a strong presence in the mainstream music charts was in the 80s (glam metal, arena rock) and early 90s to mid 90s (grunge, alternative rock). The early 2000s did see some good rock bands on the mainstream charts like Korn, Saliva, Slipknot, Fuel and Puddle of Mudd.

While i am sure Rock will survive into the future, Will it be able regain the huge popularity it once had or even maintain a presence on the mainstream music charts against the likes of Nicki Minaj, Jay Z and Taylor Swift.

Are we going to see mainstream Rock evolve into something like the Folk Rock of Mumford & Sons, the Pop Rock of OneRepublic or the Emo Rock of Jimmy Eat World.

Or is the future of mainstream Rock is to be more like Nickelback or more like Foo Fighters?
The fact that you consider Slipknot to be good rock music is telling

Who cares about charts these days? Music has become fast food.. easily obtained, quickly consumed and forgotten even faster.

What is popular today will be forgotten in a year. Good rockers still fill stadiums easily and the top acts are still widely popular.

As with all music genres there is a huge variety in styles and as someone else said here your view is a bit US centric because the rest of the world is not so focused exclusively on R&B/Rap/Hip Hop music.
Old July 20 2013, 09:37 AM   #37
EmoBorg
Captain

FPAlpha wrote: View Post

I admit i like Slipknot. I don't understand the hate. They wear scary masks and sing metal songs. So what. I like them in the same way that i like Rammstein.
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 10:47 AM   #38
Australis
Writer

To hear Chris Connell or Brett Scallions rock vocals is something out of this world. Something spiritual.
Never heard of them.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Define "mainstream rock".
This, because of the following...
Like for example, the bands that charted in the 2000s.

Jimmy Eat World, Gob, Saliva, Slipkot, Fuel, Deftones, Vertical Horizon, Incubus, Default, Puddle of Mudd, Cold, Foo Fighters, Nickleback, Creed etc etc.

I know that many rock fans dislike Nickleback and Creed but i included them because they do play Rock music even though many folks dislike them.
I've heard of 6 of those band, maybe heard 2.

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Speaking as a life-long musician, I never understood the appeal of the chugga-chugga death metal cookie monster vocals thing.
This, very this.

jayceee wrote: View Post
Out of this list, I only ever heard of Nickelback, Creed, and Foo Fighters. I have never heard of the other bands listed.

I suppose a definition of "mainstream rock" is very subjective. My definition would probably be out of date. What comes to mind when I hear the term "mainstream rock", are bands like Poison, Bon Jovi, Duran Duran, The Bangles, Aerosmith, Samantha Fox, etc ...

(I more or less stopped following current music trends around the time when bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, etc ... first became popular in the early 1990's and the movie "Singles").
This is pretty much what I think.

FPAlpha wrote: View Post

I admit i like Slipknot. I don't understand the hate. They wear scary masks and sing metal songs. So what. I like them in the same way that i like Rammstein.
Slipnot aren't my speed at all, or Rammstein, but I do recognise they're pretty good musicians.

Where is Deep Purple, Sabs, The Who and Led Zep in all this? Deep Purple is probably my favourite, I mean, have you listened to Ian Gillan sing? OR jon Losd's roar from his keyboard? Or guitar god Ritchie Blackmore? And this year, even though they've changed a significant number of members, the new album is pretty damn good.

Admittedly I sound like an old fogey, no surprises there, but you should try 'Classic Rock' magazine, because it has the old stuff, but also brand new bands who play in a recognisable rock style, and they usually give away a CD each month with new bands included.

So, for what it's worth, I'd go with classic rock rather than mainstream rock, because that's not just dependant on the year, but where you live in the world.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 01:36 PM   #39
Jiangnan Freak
Lieutenant

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
The popularity of music styles all come in waves, so the definition of mainstream will always be evolving to present what's most popular in a current generation, often tied to new techniques and equipment available. After awhile, some styles make a major comeback, like the bluegrass revival already mentioned, the celtic music of the 90's, and so on. But yes, as someone already mentioned, it's heavily dependent on demographics. Where someone lives will definitely have a different view of what's more popular.
When isl classical music going to invade MTV?
Jiangnan Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 01:50 PM   #40
the G-man
Commodore

Wouldn't that require MTV to actually play music again?
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 03:18 PM   #41
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I'd definitely take the best of death/black metal over Aerosmith.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 07:31 PM   #42
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
In the 2000s, Korn, Saliva, Slipknot, Fuel, and Puddle of Mudd never got a hit close (Puddle of Mudd got closest). They're also all terrible (OK, I like Puddle of Mudd because they're damn catchy, but they're still a terrible band).

Blasphemy
Well, clearly we'll just have to agree to disagree here, but my point stands. Rock music isn't doing any worse than it was 10 years ago, it's just that your subjective opinion valued music then better than the music now.

For my money, the early 2000s was a time of stagnation led by NuMetal bands like Korn and Limp Bizkit (yes, those two bands deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence). Really, the end of the decade was a breath of fresh air and musical revival that swept away the stagnation that was before it. The middle of the decade was an odd situation where the best bands were old bands with a comeback (e.g., Green Day) or pieces of old bands joined into supergroups (Velvet Revolver and Audioslave). Only by the end of the decade can you point to legitimately new good bands (or good bands that flew under the radar in the middle part of the decade finally shining through).
Old July 20 2013, 07:47 PM   #43
Third Nacelle
Captain

"Mainstream rock" sounds like an oxymoron to me.

Isn't music that appeals to the masses pop, by definition?
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 07:50 PM   #44
Santaman
Rear Admiral

Metal is big here in Europe indeed. I like Rammstein quite a lot and lately I've been looking into Lacuna Coil

This one rocks! (ha! punny..)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTT6picaCoQ

Korpiklaani is fun, and there's even a metal acapella band which is damn good, only a drummer, the rest, including guitar work is done with voices.

Van Canto -Rebellion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPUNd...ature=youtu.be

Also there's Arjen Lucassen's Ayreon if you want some prog rock.

And of course if all else fails, there's still AC/DC

Rock and metal plenty around but nowadays radio stations rather play music made by people with 40 songwriters and enough computer power to shame the NSA only to cover up that they have no talent and can't sing...
Old July 20 2013, 07:53 PM   #45
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Santaman wrote: View Post
Also there's Arjen Lucassen's Ayreon if you want some prog rock.

Into the Electric Castle is such a fucking classic album. The Human Equation is awesome too.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote