New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old July 19 2013, 10:14 AM   #76
captainkirk
Commander

Re: New Build, USS Vengeance from Star Trek XII

Personally I don't think it's as big as that. Slightly bigger than the Sovereign seems more realistic.
Does anyone know who designed the Vengeance? I'm guessing it's Ryan Church but it resembles a number of John Eaves's designs for Star Trek Online.
captainkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 10:24 AM   #77
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Take a look at this, especially when the Vengeance dwarfs Alcatraz Island then when the saucer smashes through all those superskyscrapers. It's a damn huge ship!

MASSIVE movie spoilers. Which apparently Paramount France couldn't care less about
Old July 19 2013, 03:30 PM   #78
captainkirk
Commander

Yeah, I know. The scales of both the Vengeance and the Enterprise change several times. In the first movie, when Kirk is looking up at the ship being built you can see several people on scaffolding which allows for a size comparison. I calculated that it was somewhere between 300 and 400 meters long. Then of course there's the shuttlebay shot which they scaled it up for. After that it seems to revert back to its original size and stay that way for the whole movie. You can even see that the rim of the saucer is only two decks thick.
In STID, it also seems to be around 350 meters or so. And the Vengeance is twice its size, until the crash scene where it seems to grow. Since it seems to be rather inconsistent I just choose the more plausible option of having the smaller sizes.
Old July 19 2013, 04:07 PM   #79
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

ILM is simply following in its proud tradition of real-time scale adjustment that they've been engaging in for the past 30 years!
Old July 19 2013, 04:12 PM   #80
Mario de Monti
Captain

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
ILM is simply following in its proud tradition of real-time scale adjustment that they've been engaging in for the past 30 years!
That!
Old July 19 2013, 06:00 PM   #81
Admiral

captainkirk wrote: View Post
Yeah, I know. The scales of both the Vengeance and the Enterprise change several times. In the first movie, when Kirk is looking up at the ship being built you can see several people on scaffolding which allows for a size comparison. I calculated that it was somewhere between 300 and 400 meters long. Then of course there's the shuttlebay shot which they scaled it up for. After that it seems to revert back to its original size and stay that way for the whole movie. You can even see that the rim of the saucer is only two decks thick.
In STID, it also seems to be around 350 meters or so. And the Vengeance is twice its size, until the crash scene where it seems to grow. Since it seems to be rather inconsistent I just choose the more plausible option of having the smaller sizes.
You've got it somewhat backwards - the new Enterprise was shrunk down for one shot over the shipyard (to fit the location used), but even then was detailed to be 725m - those poor workmen would never fit on the exposed decks!

The bridge, lobby behind (plus number of decks seen + spacing between), engine rooms and shuttlebay wont possibly fit inside a 350m Enterprise. See the Starship Size Argument and Bridge Set Plans threads in STXI for more details. Basically, for the ship to be 350m you have to ignore virtually the entirety of both Star Trek and Into Darkness.

...and the Vengeance is twice THAT size
Old July 19 2013, 06:15 PM   #82
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Here is an excerpt from John Eave's blog, showing a pic captured from the 2009 movie DVD/BluRay special features. All signs point to 725m and have pretty much from the start. At least, the majority of the signs say 725m. There are some that imply 3-400m, but again, that seems to be pretty much the result of bad editing/CG scaling, causing oodles of problems with the Trek Tech fandom (who didn't see THAT one coming?).

I honestly don't know why people are still debating this.
Old July 19 2013, 06:27 PM   #83
Admiral

^I blame www.ex-astris-scientia.org. The poor guy thinks that cataloguing trivia has given him the right to change the bits he doesn't agree with. This quote sums it up...

Seeing that the people in charge have lost perspective of ship sizes, we may decide that it all doesn't matter any longer, or we settle on a more reasonable size for the Enterprise, so we are dealing with a Vengeance of "only" some 750m, and not one mile.

In other words, I don't like the changes they've made, so I'm going to ignore it and fanfic whatever the hell I want!
Old July 20 2013, 12:31 AM   #84
Johnny
Commander

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Here is an excerpt from John Eave's blog, showing a pic captured from the 2009 movie DVD/BluRay special features. All signs point to 725m and have pretty much from the start. At least, the majority of the signs say 725m. There are some that imply 3-400m, but again, that seems to be pretty much the result of bad editing/CG scaling, causing oodles of problems with the Trek Tech fandom (who didn't see THAT one coming?).

I honestly don't know why people are still debating this.
Is it me or does the original look a bit squished?
I'm flicking between screens and there's something not quite right with its proportions...
J.
Old July 20 2013, 02:06 AM   #85
bullethead
Fleet Captain

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
^I blame www.ex-astris-scientia.org. The poor guy thinks that cataloguing trivia has given him the right to change the bits he doesn't agree with. This quote sums it up...

Seeing that the people in charge have lost perspective of ship sizes, we may decide that it all doesn't matter any longer, or we settle on a more reasonable size for the Enterprise, so we are dealing with a Vengeance of "only" some 750m, and not one mile.

In other words, I don't like the changes they've made, so I'm going to ignore it and fanfic whatever the hell I want!
I know, right? Personally, I'm ecstatic that they went with a bigger ship - more room for redshirts and shuttles.
Old July 20 2013, 07:18 AM   #86
captainkirk
Commander

Like I said, it's inconsistent and none of the explanations really account for everything. I prefer a size under 400 meters just to be closer to the original. Also, in Into Darkness it looks like they scaled the bridge up slightly to make it look smaller. But it's not a big issue for me.
Old July 20 2013, 07:32 AM   #87
Mage
Commodore

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post

You know, I love that site for its resources, but that poor fella running the site really needs to take a chill-pill. Same goes for other fans. The size of the ship has nothing to do with the story being told, I just don't understand how people can obsese over it so much.
And trust me, I understand obsessions.
Old July 20 2013, 01:19 PM   #88
captainkirk
Commander

We're Trekkies! Nothing matters but insignificant details!
Old July 20 2013, 05:34 PM   #89
Admiral

It just rankles me that anyone can wilfully ignore all of this (large image). Saying the new Enterprise is about the same size as the old is like insisting that the Earth is 4,000 years old while standing in a museum of ancient fossils, or something. It's my Trekkie pet peeve, I guess.
Old July 21 2013, 08:40 AM   #90
captainkirk
Commander

Well I don't think it's the same size I think it is larger but not over 700 meters. Mainly because it wouldn't make sense to have almost the same design but be twice the size. But that's just my preference.
The ancient fossil thing though, I could go on for hours about how un-ancient they are if it wasn't for the fact that Madman is probably already tired of us derailing his thread.