Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 19 2013, 05:23 AM   #16
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Re: 40 and Over Club Meeting

Meh. I had a pretty PC childhood. I do remember, however, going on a long car trip, crossing several states, and we stopped in a restaurant called, "Sambo's." They handed out little storybooks to the kids about Little Black Sambo. I remember my Mom not liking the book's "artwork" too terribly much and I didn't understand why at the time.

She explained it to me later, in the car.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 06:38 PM   #17
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

I had a rather PC childhood, growing up in the country. There was no racism at all simple because we had no other people around except for us Bavarians. I was 23 when I saw my first dark skinned person, a student from Ghana.
I kinda caught up later, though, by having a part African-American part Native-American BF

Bavarians are rather sexist though and I have often been a victim of that. Taught me to fight hard and prove to the males that God only practized when She created man
Old July 19 2013, 08:02 PM   #18
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I grew in mostly multi-ethnic areas with friends of all colors and backgrounds. I was an Air Force brat and the military had been desegregated for a decade or more before I was born ,so on base and in the surrounding area there were all kinds of people. I don't recall my parents ever using any sort of racist language when I was a kid. Of course when we were in Japan we were a distinct minority. We did go to Sambo's Resturant, though IIRC the character became an Indian in the story books by that time. (probably not an improvement) I do recall reading a version of the story somewhere with a black Sambo and thinking why would there be a tiger in Africa? Even as a kid I was a nitpicker.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 09:58 PM   #19
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
. . . We did go to Sambo's Resturant, though IIRC the character became an Indian in the story books by that time. (probably not an improvement) I do recall reading a version of the story somewhere with a black Sambo and thinking why would there be a tiger in Africa?
I also had a picture-book version of "Little Black Sambo" that depicted the hero as an Indian (or South Asian, at any rate) child, complete with turban. At least that explained the tigers! It wasn't until years later that I heard "Sambo" used as a slur against blacks.
Old July 20 2013, 12:07 AM   #20
J.T.B.
Commodore

There was a Sambo's restaurant where I lived, too. By the time I really remember it in the '70s I think its promotional material was based around a tiger character.

This is not really non-PC but my wife and I were talking about it the other day and it seems so bizarre now I'll mention it anyway: My parents didn't smoke, but one of my grandpas did. When I was a little kid in the early '70s, my mom had some green glass ashtrays in a drawer, and when grandpa would come she'd get them out and he'd sit right there in our living room and puff the room so full of smoke that my eyes burned. And we didn't think anything of it! It almost doesn't seem believable, now.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 12:15 AM   #21
marksound
Fleet Captain

There used to be a Sambo's restaurant here when I was a kid. As I remember, the food was much better than Denny's. I never made the "racist" connection until it was all over the news much later, and the company shut down.

Who knows what the intent was? I don't.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 12:34 AM   #22
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

I remember my mother trying to explain the Black and White Minstrel Show to me as a child. I couldn't understand why white men were made to look like black men when they could have got real black men like Louis Armstrong to sing the songs.

I also had a golliwog as a child. Still have it because it was given to me by Auntie Elsie who was more than 90 years old and not my real aunt but an old lady that my Dad used to help out with her garden. She was a lovely old dear with a beautiful garden and an interesting house. She was a wonderful storyteller and I loved visiting her. I was so pleased when she gave me the knitted golliwog. I thought that Elsie had knitted it especially for me but my sister later said that wasn't so. It is the only keepsake I have of Elsie.

Golliwogs are still sold in Australian stores. i don't think Australians are really aware of the Minstrel stereotype. Even though I saw the Black and White Minstrels I didn't make the connection to my golliwog who I thought was some sort of gnome.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 12:54 AM   #23
marksound
Fleet Captain

I had to Google "golliwog." That's a new one to me.

Reminds of the "lawn jockeys" that I used to see around town when I was a kid. Some of those really freaked me out when I was throwing papers in the dark hours of the morning.

Saturday Night Live did a lawn jockey sketch in the 70s with Garrett Morris in the whole jockey getup. It's probably not PC enough for public consumption these days.
Old July 20 2013, 01:06 AM   #24
Miss Chicken

Golliwogs and known as 'gollies' nowadays in Australia.

We used to have Aboriginal garden statues in Australia. They become known as Nevilles after Ted Bullpit named his statue Neville in the Austalian comedy series "Kingswood Country".

Here is Neville

They quickly went out of favour after that as no-one wanted to be like Ted Bullpit.

Last edited by Miss Chicken; July 20 2013 at 02:48 AM.
Old July 20 2013, 01:25 AM   #25
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

My mother was somehow ignorant of the segregation practices when she was growing up in the American South of the 1950s. She was visiting some friends and they were getting on the bus to go somewhere. Looking around, she didn't any seats except in the back. So she proceeds to the back of the bus to sit down, to the shock of the black and white passengers.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 02:46 AM   #26
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

My american relatives nearly died of shock when they saw golliwogs for sale at the post office as cute gifts to send your friends overseas. Then they saw hand made golliwogs for sale at a crafts store. Then they saw super expensive golliwogs for sale at boutique in a posh city arcade. Everywhere we turned there seemed to be these things that I had never noticed until the american relatives were gaping at them

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 02:59 AM   #27
marksound
Fleet Captain

I grew up with a bunch of kids of different backgrounds and ethnicities. It never occurred to me that we were different because we were all kids, just playing and learning together.

My family is a mix of Native American and several western European immigrants.

My dad grew up in a "mixed" neighborhood, and my grandmother lived there for years after I was born. All the kids in that neighborhood played together, no problem.

People in my family are various shades of color, from dark to lily white. My dad and his family are darker skinned with dark/black hair, mom is light skinned with light hair, and my siblings and I are light skinned with blond hair and blue eyes. I guess it just wasn't a big deal to us.

Racial divides in the US are, in my opinion, perpetuated by people who have based their careers on keeping the old prejudices alive while pretending to work for eliminating them.

But that's just me.
Old July 20 2013, 03:00 AM   #28
Miss Chicken

My american relatives nearly died of shock when they saw golliwogs for sale at the post office as cute gifts to send your friends overseas. Then they saw hand made golliwogs for sale at a crafts store. Then they saw super expensive golliwogs for sale at boutique in a posh city arcade. Everywhere we turned there seemed to be these things that I had never noticed until the american relatives were gaping at them.

I didn't realise how common there were until there was a fuss about a store being asked to remove one by Oprah Winfrey's handlers just before her visit to Australia. Now I see actually notice them and quite a few shops sell them.

One of my friends collects gollies. I collect African-made dolls and my friend can't see the difference between the two.

These are my Ugandan dolls, my Batsiranai dolls from Zimbabwe, and my Little Travellers from South Africa. All my dolls are made by pmothers of children with disabilities or else by women who are affected by HIV.
Old July 20 2013, 03:03 AM   #29
marksound
Fleet Captain

People who are offended by things like this are people who are looking for reasons to be offended.

Personally, I'm offended by those people.
Old July 20 2013, 03:33 AM   #30
C. Cole-Chakotay
Commodore

I remember Looney Tunes, Road Runner, and such. I also enjoyed politically incorrect shows. It's amazing the things we saw and did (riding bicycles without helmets) and are still alive to tell the tale.
Eulalia!!! Redwall!!
C. Cole-Chakotay is offline   Reply With Quote