Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 19 2013, 02:51 PM   #16
EmoBorg
Captain

Re: Can Mainstream Rock Music Survive

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I recognize about half those names. Still it doesn't define what "mainstream rock" is.

Basically Rock Music that can appeal to masses like the way mainstream Hip Hop music does right now. Hip Hop is so big and so mainstream right now. Yuo don't really see that with the current Rock Music. You don't really see Rock music toping Billboard's the hot 100 and Billboard 200.

The only rock song in the top 10 right now is Imagine Dragons's Radioactive. The rest are songs from the Pop, Hip Hop and RnB Genres.

Any rock music that is on the general charts is mainstream to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIRfc3ybbPg
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 02:53 PM   #17
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I haven't been a big fan of post-grunge rock, most of the stuff on the radio sounds all samey to me (or is that me just getting old?). Everything sounds like what I used to think of as "alternative".
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 03:00 PM   #18
EmoBorg
Captain

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I haven't been a big fan of post-grunge rock, most of the stuff on the radio sounds all samey to me (or is that me just getting old?). Everything sounds like what I used to think of as "alternative".
I actually liked the sound of the post grunge era. Collective Soul, Creed, Puddle of Mudd, Staind, Audioslave, Incubus, Fuel, Matchbox Twenty and also the sound of alternative rock bands like Toad The Wet Sprocket, Gin Blossoms and others that became mainstream after grunge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIRfc3ybbPg

Last edited by EmoBorg; July 19 2013 at 03:12 PM.
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 03:01 PM   #19
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I haven't been a big fan of post-grunge rock
I'm not a big fan of grunge, I prefer my rock to be more overblown, theatrical, and somewhat complicated. Nirvana's Nevermind is an OK album but hardly particularly interesting, and the hits from it were somewhat standard pop. Dream Theater's Images and Words was recorded in the same year and completely blows it away as an album.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 03:33 PM   #20
Pingfah
Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Finding a new band to be a fan of is no longer as easy as just listening to the radio a lot, like it used to. You have to hunt sadly, but there are some amazing things being done with rock music right now. Currently, I'm obsessed with Devin Townsend's music. I also discovered this week a cool band called Unitopia, who remind me a lot of Peter Gabriel era Genesis.
I saw Devin Townsend singing for Vai back in '94. Fuck me that guy has pipes. Really amazing frontman.

To me the radio bands that are shifting decent numbers of records at the moment seem either to be a new breed of folk rockers, or bands still trading on the alt rock scene of the 90s. Popular rock music is pretty tame and bland at the moment. You are right though that if you are prepared to step away from that and go look, there's probably more great rock music around now than there ever has been. I mean, it's much easier to record and distribute now, and you can put together something decently produced on a fraction of the budget big releases used to get.
Old July 19 2013, 11:04 PM   #21
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Clothing may be the only thing that is more cyclical than pop music. So it is only a matter of time before "mainstream" (or any other kind of rock) has a dominant resurgence in popularity. If you live long enough, you'll see all of it come back around, 2 or 3 times.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 11:19 PM   #22
marksound
Fleet Captain

Speaking as a life-long musician, I never understood the appeal of the chugga-chugga death metal cookie monster vocals thing. My guitar playing 22 year old nephew loves it. Real rock music is melodic and has a structure, preferably with real singers.

We need more like Van Halen, ZZ Top, The Guess Who, The Grass Roots, and solo artists like Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin. All these have transcended their industry-imposed genres and are timeless.

Add Hall & Oates to the list and you have crossed several genre lines from R&B/Soul to Hard Rock to Bubblegum Pop. Those guys were/are amazing in their scope.

There are many more examples, but you get the idea.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 12:55 AM   #23
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, the line between Pop and Rock has always been nebulous. Many of the seminal Rock bands were also Pop acts. Pop Rock and Soft Rock were pretty popular sub-genres back in the day and some of the current Pop acts aren't too far removed from them. Of course Rock and Roll's DNA includes Blues, Country, R&B and even some pre-Rock Pop. Maybe there's more "Rock" on the charts than we know.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 01:26 AM   #24
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Real rock music is melodic and has a structure, preferably with real singers.
Come on, you have a Gene Simmons avatar. I'm a Kiss-maniac too, their debut album is one of my most listened to albums, as is Creatures of the Night. I even love Music From the Elder for crying out loud.

Gene is not a very good singer . Goin' Blind is still a kick-ass song though.
Old July 20 2013, 01:28 AM   #25
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

The tongue makes up for it.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 01:35 AM   #26
marksound
Fleet Captain

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Real rock music is melodic and has a structure, preferably with real singers.
Come on, you have a Gene Simmons avatar. I'm a Kiss-maniac too, their debut album is one of my most listened to albums, as is Creatures of the Night. I even love Music From the Elder for crying out loud.

Gene is not a very good singer . Goin' Blind is still a kick-ass song though.
Gene Simmons the Klingon, you mean.

Even Kiss songs have a melodic structure. And though they aren't great singers, they did carve a signature sound out of what they had to work with. And don't forget the marketing. That's pure genius.

But do forget Kiss Meets The Phantom of the Park. That's just horrendous.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 01:39 AM   #27
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

Speaking as a life-long musician, I never understood the appeal of the chugga-chugga death metal cookie monster vocals thing. My guitar playing 22 year old nephew loves it. Real rock music is melodic and has a structure, preferably with real singers.

We need more like Van Halen, ZZ Top, The Guess Who, The Grass Roots, and solo artists like Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin. All these have transcended their industry-imposed genres and are timeless.

Add Hall & Oates to the list and you have crossed several genre lines from R&B/Soul to Hard Rock to Bubblegum Pop. Those guys were/are amazing in their scope.
I can't agree with this more. Although I can't listen to The Grass Roots without thinking of Creed from The Office.

Over time, more and more labels have been put on music to further subdivide styles, types, genres, etc. Mainstream anything doesn't really exist anymore.
Old July 20 2013, 01:44 AM   #28
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Even Kiss songs have a melodic structure.
Kiss songs are very melodic, and I do love Paul Stanley's voice. Black metal and death metal still has its place though, and is equally as valid. Sometimes I want the singer to sound as pissed as I feel. I like growly singers and crooning singers.
Old July 20 2013, 01:45 AM   #29
jayceee
Commander

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
Jimmy Eat World, Gob, Saliva, Slipkot, Fuel, Deftones, Vertical Horizon, Incubus, Default, Puddle of Mudd, Cold, Foo Fighters, Nickleback, Creed etc etc.
Out of this list, I only ever heard of Nickelback, Creed, and Foo Fighters. I have never heard of the other bands listed.

I suppose a definition of "mainstream rock" is very subjective. My definition would probably be out of date. What comes to mind when I hear the term "mainstream rock", are bands like Poison, Bon Jovi, Duran Duran, The Bangles, Aerosmith, Samantha Fox, etc ...

(I more or less stopped following current music trends around the time when bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, etc ... first became popular in the early 1990's and the movie "Singles").
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 01:55 AM   #30
the G-man
Commodore

It will always be around, just like blues, bluegrass, jazz, classical, swing and other genres are always around.

But, like the other genres, it won't be the dominant genre. In fact, the only reason it lasted as long as it did on top was because the primary market for it was the single largest population bubble in our history (the baby boom).

Yes, like some of the other genres I named (remember the "swing fad" with Brian Setzer, etc., or the "bluegrass revival" after the release of "O Brother where art though"?) it may have brief periods of resurgence at the top of the charts. And it will always have fans. And like classics of other genres, certain albums and artists will remain popular (Beatles being an obvious example) even if the genre isn't as a whole.

However, the demographics are all wrong for it to stay on top forever. It was the pop music of a particular age group (the boomers mostly) and that age group is now middle aged or even senior citizens. They aren't buying records anymore and eventually they'll all be dead.

And as a result, rock will be just one more "niche" musical product with some other genre as the best seller.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote