TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old April 14 2013, 08:49 PM   #16
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Re: Bioshock Infinite.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I also attempted to play the original Bioshock AND Bioshock II, but I couldn't get into them at all. It bummed me out because everybody seems to love them so much, and this new game just looks awesome. I don't know if it's even worth it for me to play it.
Do you know why you didn't get into them?

If it was something in the gameplay, Infinite won't be an improvement. If it was something about the story, or how it was presented, it probably was fixed.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 08:54 PM   #17
RoJoHen
Awesome

It was generally the gameplay. As a rule, I'm not a huge fan of first-person shooters. Occasionally there are some that I end up liking, and I thought that Bioshock might be one because of how popular it is.
Old April 15 2013, 02:07 AM   #18
ATimson
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
It was generally the gameplay. As a rule, I'm not a huge fan of first-person shooters. Occasionally there are some that I end up liking, and I thought that Bioshock might be one because of how popular it is.
Which I understand completely. I wouldn't recommend that you buy Infinite, though, since the core gameplay is more or less identical to the earlier games...

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 04:01 PM   #19
Ood Sigma
Commander

Is there a demo version on XBox 360 so I could try before I buy, and if so, does it give a good feel for how the game goes? The comments I've read make me unsure as to whether I'd like it.
Ood Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 05:46 AM   #20
throwback
Captain

Another approach is to go to Youtube, and watch videos of people playing the game. This will give an idea of how the gameplay is like.

As for a demo, I think there is one available.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 06:09 AM   #21
Infern0
Captain

Im way too big a nerd.

Just ordered the limited edition strategy guide even though i've completed the game.

Just want to look at the pretty pictures

grabbed the art book too
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 08:29 AM   #22
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Finished the game tonight. My mind has been blown. The gameplay variety was kind of meh but I'm a fan of characters and stories first and foremost so I can forgive the dull gameplay here.

Here's a take on the ending I never considered that puts a whole different spin on the series. Be forewarned there are major spoilers for the original Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite here:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...ed-completely/
Old May 2 2013, 08:24 PM   #23
mclea1mm
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View mclea1mm's Twitter Profile

I started playing yesterday. I'm intrigued by the beautiful environment and the story. However I was put off by the rather abrupt introduction of violent gameplay. I mean, I'm not sure what I was expecting - I knew combat would be central to the game. I guess what bothered me is I felt like I had no choice and the game was going to force me to slaughter what seemed like innocent people. I actually decided to try running past enemies but ultimately had to fight.

It's not the violence itself that bothers me. It's that I didn't feel I had enough information about Booker or Columbia to understand the reason why I had to start killing. Mostly I've rationalized it by telling myself the citizenry is mostly fanatical, that they've been repeatedly told to look out for the false prophet, and that the player as Booker must react first in self defense. I found it unsettling for the first couple hours of play, though I've adjusted now.

Perhaps I'm too comfortable with the stealth components of recent games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Dishonored.
mclea1mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 12:29 PM   #24
Infern0
Captain

mclea1mm wrote: View Post
I started playing yesterday. I'm intrigued by the beautiful environment and the story. However I was put off by the rather abrupt introduction of violent gameplay. I mean, I'm not sure what I was expecting - I knew combat would be central to the game. I guess what bothered me is I felt like I had no choice and the game was going to force me to slaughter what seemed like innocent people. I actually decided to try running past enemies but ultimately had to fight.

It's not the violence itself that bothers me. It's that I didn't feel I had enough information about Booker or Columbia to understand the reason why I had to start killing. Mostly I've rationalized it by telling myself the citizenry is mostly fanatical, that they've been repeatedly told to look out for the false prophet, and that the player as Booker must react first in self defense. I found it unsettling for the first couple hours of play, though I've adjusted now.

Perhaps I'm too comfortable with the stealth components of recent games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Dishonored.
it becomes a little more explained later on when you learn of Bookers past
Old July 18 2013, 08:52 AM   #25
Yoda
Rear Admiral

So, I finally picked this up last week on PC for $25 and played through it.

First off, wow, what a visual marvel this game is. You can tell the production values are through the roof. I loaded up Dishonored after I finished Bioshock Infinite and it looked like a total turd. Like 5 years out of date in comparison. I'm warming up to the visuals in that game, as it's simply not the same big budget super title and it does have a lot going for it.

The gameplay didn't really evolve much from the original Bioshock. Vigors felt a bit out of place. The combat was decently fun when I was headshotting normal enemies and bringing them down fairly quickly, but got tedious as I progressed and was exposed to the various bullet-sponge enemies. I really only died in one sequence (on hard difficulty):

Anyway there just isn't a ton to the shooter gameplay. Comparing to Dishonored again, it really lacks depth. Combat is not exciting in this game. There should have been at least one truly crazy skyline ride, ya know, where you have to keep hopping from rail to rail at top speed to avoid smashing yourself all the while shooting enemies that are also on the skylines trying to chase you. But that never really happens.

Finding the audio logs was a bit tedious as well. And I only got around 80% of them despite spending a lot of time checking every nook and cranny. I'm much preferring Dishonored on that front, though I'm starting to find myself skipping or skimming a lot of the books you pick up. But at least it doesn't seem to force you to search endlessly to have the plot revealed to you.

Speaking of the plot, it was highly entertaining. I pretty much saw every twist well before it hit though. The section with Slate is what helped me piece it all together. Probably helps that I was primed to expect a 'twist' after having played the original Bioshock when it was released.

Oh, and I really hate the searching for ammo/food. Panning over every single box/barrel I can see mashing the F button endlessly. Boring.

I did have some technical issues. I needed to manually set a memory pool variable which required lots of research, adding a parameter to the game launcher and modifying an ini file. It was just trying to use too much GPU memory, which caused it to stutter like crazy anytime it streamed in a texture. Really annoying. Really high frame rates, yet so many second-long drops that it was nearly unplayable. Once I got that resolved I got percetly smooth 60 fps with adaptive vsync on maxed out settings and as I said before, it looked absolutely stunning. Maybe a little too crazy on the HDR/Bloom/WhateverItIs but then again that kind of works anyway with the religious heaven in the sky themes.

And they get props for the awesome use of licensed music. Clever.

Overall it was an excellent game, 9/10 territory but I don't think it quite matches up to the original Bioshock. That was a more interesting story, and a better realized, more consistent world.
Old July 19 2013, 09:51 AM   #26
Infern0
Captain

The wait for the DLC has been nigh on disgraceful so far. A lot of people bought the season pass so i dont get whats taking so long.

Better be good once it arrives is all i'm saying.
Old July 19 2013, 11:51 AM   #27
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Speaking of which, i went ahead and picked up the Season Pass discounted to $14. Seems like an OK deal, I'll try and have some faith on this one that they'll ship something good soon. Supposedly a 'reveal' is happening by the end of the month.

Greenmangaming literally have a code on the store page for the Pass to get the discount if anyone is interested. Might be region specific though, says (NA) in the title which I assume means North America.
Old July 19 2013, 08:04 PM   #28
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

Works for UK, thanks for the tip!
Old July 24 2013, 01:00 AM   #29
Mr Light
Admiral

I'm *still* waiting on the price to drop for Bioshock Infinite...!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 03:00 AM   #30
Yoda
Rear Admiral

How much of a price drop do you want? The PC version has spent a lot of time in the $24-$30 range in the past month, and Amazon has the console versions for $40. It's not it's been holding full MSRP.