Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate Pacific Rim?
A+ 31 24.80%
A 35 28.00%
A- 15 12.00%
B+ 25 20.00%
B 7 5.60%
B- 2 1.60%
C+ 2 1.60%
C 1 0.80%
C- 1 0.80%
D+ 1 0.80%
D 1 0.80%
D- 3 2.40%
F+ 0 0%
F 1 0.80%
F- 0 0%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 19 2013, 01:44 PM   #136
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Re: Pacific Rim - Grading and Discussion

I wouldn't worry about a sequel (I'm still hoping for a prequel). Remember Hellboy II:The Golden Army. That just came out of nowhere.
Old July 19 2013, 02:23 PM   #137
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Yminale wrote: View Post
I wouldn't worry about a sequel (I'm still hoping for a prequel). Remember Hellboy II:The Golden Army. That just came out of nowhere.
I wouldn't worry about ever seeing anything from this movie again. It's on track two be one of the top 4 flops of the summer making only $39 million in it's opening weekend.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 02:44 PM   #138
Yminale
Rear Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
I wouldn't worry about ever seeing anything from this movie again. It's on track two be one of the top 4 flops of the summer making only $39 million in it's opening weekend.
Like Hellboy, Pacific Rim is going to be a fan favorite.

Honestly what kind of world do we live in when below average stuff like Man of Steel and Star Trek into Darkness makes a ton of money and good movies like Pacific Rim gets ignored.
Old July 19 2013, 02:59 PM   #139
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ Superman and Star Trek are known properties and Pacific Rim is not only unknown, but probably comes off like another Battle: Los Angeles. And besides, not everyone thinks that Man of Steel or Into Darkness were below average.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 03:25 PM   #140
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
^ Superman and Star Trek are known properties and Pacific Rim is not only unknown, but probably comes off like another Battle: Los Angeles. And besides, not everyone thinks that Man of Steel or Into Darkness were below average.
People also complain about the lack of originality. As for Battle: Los Angeles, there was more damage in Man of Steel and Star Trek into Darkness.
Old July 19 2013, 03:39 PM   #141
SicOne
Commodore

sojourner wrote: View Post
The aliens made one wormhole, they can make another.
I was of the understanding that GD fried the aliens in question, hence no one to construct more kaijus/create another Breach.
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 03:56 PM   #142
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Honestly what kind of world do we live in when below average stuff like Man of Steel and Star Trek into Darkness makes a ton of money and good movies like Pacific Rim gets ignored.
Warner Brothers dropped the ball big time IMO in marketing this film. For a film with zero name recognition I personally didn't see even one commercial for it on TV.

Also, they missed a huge opportunity to tie in a toy with a major fast food chain to also build the brand and interest.

The lack of big name stars for an unknown franchise also hurt its ability to attrack an audience.

All in all - WB has only itself to blame for the failure of this film IMO.
Old July 19 2013, 05:04 PM   #143
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

For a film with zero name recognition I personally didn't see even one commercial for it on TV.
Take this as a compliment, but you apparently don't watch much TV. I've seen the commercial several times.

Last edited by Set Harth; July 19 2013 at 05:28 PM.
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 05:24 PM   #144
KGator
Lieutenant Commander

SicOne wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
The aliens made one wormhole, they can make another.
I was of the understanding that GD fried the aliens in question, hence no one to construct more kaijus/create another Breach.
I can't imagine the detonation of a nuclear reactor would somehow destroy an entire race of aliens from another dimension. I mean . . . what was the point of colonizing other worlds when there was just the 3 (or so) of them?
KGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 05:57 PM   #145
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Take this as a compliment, but you apparently don't watch much TV. I've seen the commercial several times.
What channels? Trek and World War Z [Paramount] was all over the place on the Daily Show and Stephen C. shows. Never say them there.

Trek and less so Z made NBC/ABC - didn't see it on there.

So unless they were running it on Sci-Fi - which I don't watch a lot - then where were they running?

Also - Trek and Z did a great job of sending out sneeks on the web. Again - unless I wasn't paying attention never saw any.

Superman on the other hand didn't need a lot of TV advertising - it is one of the the best recognized brands there is.
Old July 19 2013, 06:35 PM   #146
davejames
Vice Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
For a film with zero name recognition I personally didn't see even one commercial for it on TV.
I saw plenty of commercials, but I can't say it really stood out to me or made much of an impression.

It was really only the great reviews and recommendations from people online that made me want to see it-- and the general audience probably doesn't pay as much attention to those things.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 06:49 PM   #147
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post

It was really only the great reviews and recommendations from people online that made me want to see it-- and the general audience probably doesn't pay as much attention to those things.
The only film I can recall in the last 20 years that really, really benefited from word-of-mouth was Titanic. And as a result teenage girls went to Titanic repeatdely to see Lenardo DiCapario and the love story because of the word of mouth success.

I'm doubting that this film can generate the same level of success Titanic did.
Old July 19 2013, 07:04 PM   #148
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post

The only film I can recall in the last 20 years that really, really benefited from word-of-mouth was Titanic. And as a result teenage girls went to Titanic repeatdely to see Lenardo DiCapario and the love story because of the word of mouth success.

I'm doubting that this film can generate the same level of success Titanic did.
It's doing pretty well overseas (and it'll probably break records in Japan, as they really would love tom do this level of live action effects for their films, but their local market doesn't warrant that level of expenditure - IE they'd loose money.)

Thus, I don't think WB will loose on the film in the long run - but at the current domestic box office trend (Unless it does INCREDIBLE foreign box office numbers - which has happened for some U.S. made films in the past that did poorly domestically) - I seriously doubt it will get a sequel. Which is sad because I really enjoyed the film, and would LOVE to see a sequel.

This was a pure, extremely fun and entertaining popcorn movie that paid homage to the genre it belongs to in great style; but I think it's one of those films that you either love; or hate, with very little room in the middle. It's not meant to be Shakespeare, or make a comment on any social or environmental issues; it's just there to set up a very simple plot (that DOES NOT stand up to close scrutiny), introduce some over the top character archetypes for you to root for/or hate; and just set up a reason for giant mechs to beat up on giant monsters with all the carnage that entails<--- And do all of this in an entertaining fashion.
^^^
On this level it succeeds brilliantly (IMO).
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 07:14 PM   #149
DWF
Vice Admiral

I saw plenty of TV spots for Pacific Rim but no real interest among sci-fi fans, few people for example seemed intersted in the movie. I hope that's not the case for next year's Godzilla movie.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 07:29 PM   #150
davejames
Vice Admiral

DWF wrote: View Post
I saw plenty of TV spots for Pacific Rim but no real interest among sci-fi fans, few people for example seemed intersted in the movie. I hope that's not the case for next year's Godzilla movie.
Yeah I think they seriously overestimated the appeal the movie's concept would have with audiences. If even a sizable chuck of scifi fans have a hard time getting excited about watching giant robots and monsters fight (which is evident from the fact only 58 people have bothered to vote in this thread, compared to what we see with other movies here), then you know you have a problem.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote