Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 19 2013, 02:35 PM   #16
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Re: Dexter - The Final Season (Spoiler Discussion)

I'm surprised there isn't more activity in this thread. Anyway, watched the third episode last night and I am starting to suspect that Dexter was misdiagnosed by the doctor when he was a kid.

The shrink keeps marveling at how he is able to have such an emotional range for a psychopath and how unusual it is. She calls him a psychopath so frequently it's almost like she's trying to convince herself that he is one when in fact he may not be.

I wouldn't be surprised if the series winds up with Dexter discovering that he isn't a true psychopath and could have avoided his whole lifestyle if he hadn't been diagnosed as a psychopath and had instead been given proper treatment as a child. I can envision a scenario where Vogel is his last kill and he does it because she is the cause of so many deaths. I also wouldn't be surprised if Dexter was not Vogel's first foray into creating a functional psychopath.

Of course I could be totally off base here, but I'm enjoying what I'm seeing so far. I'm looking forward to see how it all (shrink)wraps up!
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 06:36 PM   #17
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

His hunger for the kill was there before he had a label put on him.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 06:47 PM   #18
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Yes, but I'm just wondering if a different form of therapy might have allowed him to get past it.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 05:14 AM   #19
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

I think it's more that she's marveling at the fact that he's found a way to cure himself of being a complete psychopath more than she's worried that she misdiagnosed him. At the start of the series, he really fit the definition of one. It wasn't until he had Harrison that he genuinely started to change.

As for the doctor herself, I don't know what to make of her. Part of me thinks she may be the actual killer since they're going out of their way not to reveal who it is, and she's the only new significant character on the show, aside from the token black policewoman. So if its not someone we've met, why keep it such a secret from the audience?
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 08:11 AM   #20
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Because mysteries are more interesting when they're mysteries?
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Old July 20 2013, 05:53 PM   #21
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

What's so mysterious about a random nobody?
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 12:43 AM   #22
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

One would hope that they start building to it in earnest at some point.
Old July 29 2013, 06:15 PM   #23
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well this season seems to be going nowhere fast. It's the final year, and we're wasting time with storylines about Quinn's promotion, Masuka's daughter, and Dexter's new neighbor? Seriously?? You'd think this was the middle of the third season or something, with the complete lack of buildup and urgency we're seeing.

And now the one interesting element this season-- Debra's downward spiral and anger towards Dexter-- appears to have been largely resolved as well.

And it looks like the next episode has Dexter chasing after yet another generic serial killer. Like it's just business as usual. Say huh?? Shouldn't someone be hunting Dexter down by this point? Or at least investigating him or Debra for something?

At this rate, it's looking like the truth is only going to be discovered by Bautista or someone accidentally stumbling into his kill room again.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 12:09 AM   #24
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Quinn is dating lady McBeth, and Angel is treating him like a fixerupper.

That kid is going to snap.

New girl cop is toast when Quinn loses it.

Dexter notcing then has to figure out if Quinn meets the code.

New Generic Killer, isn't new generic killer, it's Dexter II

His legacy.

Pass on the code.

Save the world.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 05:53 AM   #25
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i agree that this season is...odd. it has some good elements though. and we still have half the season for someone to find out what Dexter is.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 06:39 AM   #26
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Would't it be awesome if Masuka has always known?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 03:30 PM   #27
tighr
Commodore

davejames wrote: View Post
Well this season seems to be going nowhere fast. It's the final year, and we're wasting time with storylines about Quinn's promotion, Masuka's daughter, and Dexter's new neighbor? Seriously?? You'd think this was the middle of the third season or something, with the complete lack of buildup and urgency we're seeing.
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if all the storylines eventually merge. They are already starting to.

For example, Quinn may discover that Deb killed El Sapo, and then wrestle with the decision to turn her in. If he turns her in, he will get sergeant. If he doesn't, he loses out on sergeant and disappoints Angel/Jamie.

Masuka's daughter may actually be grifting Masuka, and Deb will find out in the course of her investigation. Maybe she's a serial killer, too. You really never know with this show. Even if she's not, I see nothing wrong with developing Masuka's character like this (especially since the series is coming to a close). Same with the neighbor that likes Dexter.
Old August 1 2013, 05:39 PM   #28
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I have no idea how this show is going to end. I always thought Dexter would die, but I can't see that happening now.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2013, 10:15 AM   #29
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I agree the direction of this season is weird. That being said, I did enjoy watching Dexter and Debra on the hunt together, albeit briefly. I hope we see more of that before the show ends.

This might be just me, it seems like this episode had a couple of Lost reference. When Musaka is talking his daughter, Quinn cautions him about her trying to con him and lists reasons why such as money and ends with "kidneys." I couldn't help but think of John Locke and his father. Later on, when Vogel is attacked, I swear the music that was playing in the background was the same music (and similar set-up of music casually playing, followed by a surprise) as when Juliet burned her muffins.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila

Last edited by Emh; August 2 2013 at 12:46 PM.
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2013, 10:53 AM   #30
ITL
Vice Admiral

Emh wrote: View Post
Later on, when Vogel is attacked, I swear the music that was playing in the background was the same music (and similary set-up of music casually playing, followed by a surprise) as when Juliet burned her muffins.
I thought the same thing! It was a Mamas and Papas song, IIRC.