Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 19 2013, 04:52 PM   #31
Mario de Monti
Captain

Re: A question regarding "Patterns of Force"

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Though I think Spock's comment is about Nazi ideology, not Germans.
Absolutely, I never understood it any other way.

Bad thoughts wrote: View Post
Representing the German past is a fraught subject with strong emotions. Nonetheless, German culture many opportunities to discuss the memories of Nazism and the Holocaust, moreso than, for instance, French imperialism, British rule in Ireland, or even Germany's genocidal war against the Herero. Indeed, the US has a national museum for the Holocaust, but not one for slavery and its legacy.
Interesting. So it seems to be not just a national/German wish to keep dealing with this part of history.

On the other hand, isn't it possible that our differences on the subject of this line may have more to do with differing notions of humor among the various cultures?
Theoretically, yes. But like I said before, I don´t usually have a problem with jokes/humor about Germans or Nazis and I can definitely laugh about myself, too. It just seems to be this instance in POF, where I can´t seem to find the humorous notion implied.

Mario
Old July 19 2013, 05:03 PM   #32
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Spock implication is that Kirk looks like the Nazi ideal.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 05:11 PM   #33
Mario de Monti
Captain

That is something I could live with. It would also explain Kirk´s somewhat ... irritated ... reaction to Spock´s remark
Old July 19 2013, 05:16 PM   #34
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Theoretically, yes. But like I said before, I don´t usually have a problem with jokes/humor about Germans or Nazis and I can definitely laugh about myself, too. It just seems to be this instance in POF, where I can´t seem to find the humorous notion implied.
Hopefully, you won't mind if I give a little chuckle (though just a little one--there's isn't much too the joke).
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 05:21 PM   #35
Mario de Monti
Captain

Hopefully, you won't mind if I give a little chuckle (though just a little one--there's isn't much too the joke).
By no means. It would be terribly boring if everyone would laugh about the exact same things - or like the exact same things
Old July 19 2013, 05:26 PM   #36
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
That is something I could live with. It would also explain Kirk´s somewhat ... irritated ... reaction to Spock´s remark
And that's where the humor lies.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 06:06 PM   #37
Metryq
Captain

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
In Germany, many aspects of our Nazi past are being "taboo-ized" to sometimes ridiculous degrees.
Ridiculous, indeed. With that kind of "politically correct" pressure, I can see how Germans would find it hard to laugh at Spock's joke. That is, your failure to see the "comic relief" in an otherwise grim episode is not because of what happened back then, but because of what is happening now. (Is it really over, or has it taken a new form?)

But many people are weird—those having nothing to do with persecutions that happened so long ago have no reason to feel guilty about it today, and people who did not suffer such persecutions should not be demanding reparations from those who had nothing to do with it.

We should never forget the past, but that doesn't mean we should keep living it over and over.
Old July 19 2013, 06:25 PM   #38
Grant
Fleet Captain

Melakon wrote: View Post
I saw some of those comments suggesting it was funny because Shatner and Nimoy are Jewish. Only Spock knows what he was thinking when he said it, but I think it was more his attempt to make a joke (at Kirk's expense), rather than a wink to the audience.

I can understand why some people might think it's some sort of inside joke. Performers like Mel Brooks, Jack Benny, Charles Chaplin, and even the Three Stooges took pokes at Nazis in their films. But I don't think that's the case with "Patterns of Force". For the record, I am not a Zeon pig.

I agree, I think it was an attempt at humor by Spock--perhaps commenting on Kirk's leadership role on the ship.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 08:09 PM   #39
Timo
Admiral

"You should make a very convincing slave trader". Would you take that as a joke too?
While slavery and Nazism might be close to the hearts of some of us, they appear to be nicely distanced from the reality in which our TOS heroes live. A joke about whether the main hero would make for a convincing slave trader or not was part of the very first Star Trek pilot episode!

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 08:38 PM   #40
Warped9
Admiral

A lot of everyday humour can be flavoured by dark parts of our psyche, our cultures and our history. People make jokes all the time that some (including ourselves) might find distasteful and yet we laugh anyway.
Old July 19 2013, 09:03 PM   #41
YJAGG
Lieutenant Commander

I'd ask shatner next month but I doubt that he remembers
YJAGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 09:36 PM   #42
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Timo wrote: View Post
. . . A joke about whether the main hero would make for a convincing slave trader or not was part of the very first Star Trek pilot episode!
True, but with the difference being that Spock's offhand remark was about Kirk's ability to pass himself off as a Nazi, while Dr. Boyce was asking whether Capt. Pike could really see himself as an Orion trader dealing in slaves.
Old July 19 2013, 11:13 PM   #43
Timo
Admiral

...And the joke is on Pike, because the answer is, yes, he could. And will.

It's a funny picture of a hero that "The Cage" paints. First, the skipper receives an SOS and tells his crew to ignore it, then goes to bed! The very next thing, he considers resigning! And then we learn that he dreams of horses, hellfire and being a slave trader...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 11:54 PM   #44
Mister Atoz
Lieutenant

Mario, I am American born but just got back from Germany last month. I understand your sensitivity to the possibly offensive humor in the ep. The WHOLE episode is a kind of a joke since television doesn't provide an adequate budget to depict the large crowds necessary to create the atmosphere of a "Nazi" planet. There just weren't enough extras, and the whole episode trucks in almost pure cliche. It's all so silly, humor just naturally bubbles to the surface. This is the reason why a large number of fans find Patterns of Force "corny" and insincere. You just can't take such a serious subject as Nazism and turn it into a plastic screenplay for a television episode. It is easy to understand why this episode was not shown in Germany for decades.

I am constrained to point out that other Trek episodes offend specific parties. For example, Shatner joking in "City on the Edge of Forever" that "My friend is obviously Chinese". Or in Turnabout Intruder when Kirk says that captain isn't a position that Janice Lester "merits by temperament or training." Turnabout Intruder is a total turnoff to women, I know that. And I know that "Elan of Troyius" is highly offensive to some Asian women. And of course if I was a Vulcan, I would indeed find the entire series highly offensive, since both Kirk and McCoy are constantly taking racist jabs at Spock.

~ Mr Atoz
Mister Atoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 01:06 AM   #45
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Years ago (circa 2000) on another bboard, a German guy informed us that Star Trek, the whole series, was originally syndicated in Germany with a phony translation of the dialog. He said it made the episodes juvenile and often quite silly, and adults did not understand how the show could be playing to grown-ups in America.

Then sometime around the late 1980s or 90s, I don't know when, Germany finally got an honest translation of the show and viewers were quite surprised. The film series apparently motivated the revamping of Germany's syndication version.

I can't really vouch for this story but it was from a credible source at the time, a well-respected poster.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote