RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,712
Members: 24,835
Currently online: 513
Newest member: SB118_T'Mar

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old July 19 2013, 10:33 AM   #61
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

Shawnster wrote: View Post
Granted, the show was about a POW camp and not a concentration camp; regardless, it was mocking an extremely dark moment in the relatively recent past.
That's the crucial difference. Buchenwald was not a concentration camp like the other death camps. As a matter of fact the inmates rebelled and took over the camp from the Nazis prior to the arrival of the American troops!

For all I know Robert Clary might have been among those who initiated the uprise and therefore his participation in "Hogans Heroes" meant autobiographically more to him than just a TV show mocking Nazis...

If I remember correctly Gene Roddenberry served on a US bomber over Europe and therefore never really saw what was actually going on "down there".

In the case of Nimoy his tasteless line in "Patterns of Force" might be attributed to ignorance, but there is one who doesn't have a good excuse - William Shatner!

In 1961 he had a supporting role in "Judgment at Nuremberg" which featured original, very graphic films of the death camps (a fantastic film with the finest actors Hollywood had to offer!). So unless he never saw the final film, I would have expected him - at least and of all the people - to draw a line and tell the diector of "Patterns of Force" he wouldn't continue shooting until Leonard's line had been changed.

Well, apparently that didn't happen.

"Get a life?" Look who's talking! What's it good for once you have an opportunity to make a stand against ignorance and stupidity but instead decide to remain silent and let ignorance and stupidity prevail?

Bob

@ Mario de Monti

This thread is about the "single worst line of dialogue". We've merely gotten to the point discussing why a certain single line is the worst (or not).
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 11:34 AM   #62
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
That's the crucial difference. Buchenwald was not a concentration camp like the other death camps. As a matter of fact the inmates rebelled and took over the camp from the Nazis prior to the arrival of the American troops!
Buchenwald WAS a concentration camp just not a death camp. Clary as I said was in several of the camps. While he was never in an actual death camp, what he went through was not easy. He was basically forced to work as a slave.

I read his autobiography!
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 01:32 PM   #63
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Anyway...

"My oath of celibacy is on record, Captain."

It just sounds so stupid to me.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 01:36 PM   #64
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Yes it is awful! To me it's just a stupid cocktease.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 03:02 PM   #65
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

"You're a droid, and I'm a noid." - Forget which ep this is in

"What a motley crew you've assembled here captain!" - QLess

"If only she could have been happy being...only a woman." - Turnabout Intruder

"Nobody has ever asked me if my...hair grows. Please watch DS9. Please please PLEASE! Isn't this character interesting? He just asked Data if his hair grows! PLEASE!!!!" - Birthright

"KHAAAAAAANN" - Star Trek Into Darkness

"We don't want to treat her, because there is stigma attached to the way the disease is contracted." - Stigma
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 03:46 PM   #66
JT Perfecthair
Lieutenant

Riker: Increase speed to Warp 6.

Laforge: Aye sir, full impulse.
JT Perfecthair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 03:55 PM   #67
Mario de Monti
Captain

JT Perfecthair wrote: View Post

I don´t remember that one. What episode or movie is it from?

And of course: Welcome to the TrekBBS, I hope you´re going to enjoy it
Old July 19 2013, 04:34 PM   #68
E-DUB
Captain

Five pages and no..........

"Brain and brain, what is brain?"
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 05:01 PM   #69
JT Perfecthair
Lieutenant

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post

Thanks! The quote is from Conspiracy, Riker is trying to get on shore leave faster. I think its just before they are diverted by the call from the Horatio?

Here is a clip from it,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNMxyZEf4MI
JT Perfecthair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 05:05 PM   #70
Mario de Monti
Captain

Thanks that´s truly precious

I haven´t watched anything of the early TNG seasons in a LONG time.
Old July 19 2013, 05:07 PM   #71
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

If I remember correctly Gene Roddenberry served on a US bomber over Europe and therefore never really saw what was actually going on "down there".
He served in the Pacific.

Worst line: "I need you Bones, badly". Kirk in TMP.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 07:04 PM   #72
sojourner
Admiral

You mean "The sons of Soong have joined together. And together we will destroy the Federation!"?
It would have been great if Picard had immediately shot back with "Why?"
Old July 19 2013, 07:42 PM   #73
Retu
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks! The quote is from Conspiracy, Riker is trying to get on shore leave faster. I think its just before they are diverted by the call from the Horatio?

Here is a clip from it,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNMxyZEf4MI
At least he learned something in the engineering school, since by the 3rd season's "Hollow Pursuits":

LaForge: Ensign Crusher is putting in some hours with us this week as part of his training duties... he'll be assigned to assist you, Mister Myers. Be sure and teach him the difference between impulse and warp drive.
-Sir William Bragg
Retu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 07:57 PM   #74
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Shawnster wrote: View Post
Granted, the show was about a POW camp and not a concentration camp; regardless, it was mocking an extremely dark moment in the relatively recent past.

For all I know Robert Clary might have been among those who initiated the uprise and therefore his participation in "Hogans Heroes" meant autobiographically more to him than just a TV show mocking Nazis...

In the case of Nimoy his tasteless line in "Patterns of Force" might be attributed to ignorance, but there is one who doesn't have a good excuse - William Shatner!

In 1961 he had a supporting role in "Judgment at Nuremberg" which featured original, very graphic films of the death camps (a fantastic film with the finest actors Hollywood had to offer!). So unless he never saw the final film, I would have expected him - at least and of all the people - to draw a line and tell the diector of "Patterns of Force" he wouldn't continue shooting until Leonard's line had been changed.

Well, apparently that didn't happen.

"Get a life?" Look who's talking! What's it good for once you have an opportunity to make a stand against ignorance and stupidity but instead decide to remain silent and let ignorance and stupidity prevail?
You're splitting hairs about who served where and whatnot, but you're still applying your "half-century of hindsight" standards of righteous indignation to the works of people who were actually around during the war. The bottom line is that people of that generation were able to look back at the war in general (not the Holocaust specifically) in a humorous light, whether it was in a sitcom like Hogan's Heroes or a one-off line in a Star Trek episode.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 09:15 PM   #75
scotpens
Vice Admiral

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
You're splitting hairs about who served where and whatnot, but you're still applying your "half-century of hindsight" standards of righteous indignation to the works of people who were actually around during the war. The bottom line is that people of that generation were able to look back at the war in general (not the Holocaust specifically) in a humorous light, whether it was in a sitcom like Hogan's Heroes or a one-off line in a Star Trek episode.
Indeed, I can't believe some people are raising such a stink about a single, innocuous, wryly humorous throw-away line that wouldn't have ruffled anyone's feathers when "Patterns of Force" was first shown in 1968. And BTW and FWIW, I'm Jewish.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled topic.