Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 19 2013, 01:11 PM   #1
EmoBorg
Captain

Can Mainstream Rock Music Survive

Over the decade, we have seen Hip Hop and Pop music dominating the music charts. I do listen to current Hip Hop and Pop music and i do like some of them but having grown up both as a kid in the 1980s and as a teenager in the 1990s, i do have a soft spot for Rock music. I would certainly like to see Rock back as a force on the mainstream charts.

The last great period when Rock had a strong presence in the mainstream music charts was in the 80s (glam metal, arena rock) and early 90s to mid 90s (grunge, alternative rock). The early 2000s did see some good rock bands on the mainstream charts like Korn, Saliva, Slipknot, Fuel and Puddle of Mudd.

While i am sure Rock will survive into the future, Will it be able regain the huge popularity it once had or even maintain a presence on the mainstream music charts against the likes of Nicki Minaj, Jay Z and Taylor Swift.

Are we going to see mainstream Rock evolve into something like the Folk Rock of Mumford & Sons, the Pop Rock of OneRepublic or the Emo Rock of Jimmy Eat World.

Or is the future of mainstream Rock is to be more like Nickelback or more like Foo Fighters?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySo7-zkprNo

Last edited by EmoBorg; July 19 2013 at 01:50 PM.
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 01:16 PM   #2
Forbin
Admiral

Re: Can Mainstream Rock Music Survive

Granted I'm old, but I haven't had a clue what "current" pop music is like since, oh... Michelle Branch was the last "new" artist I liked.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 01:30 PM   #3
Australis
Writer

Rock will last.

That is all.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Darth_Daver
Captain

Can I have Led Zeppelin back please?
Darth_Daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 01:36 PM   #5
Relayer1
Commodore

It may not get the press or flash in the pan mega sales, but it does well year in, year out. It has great staying power.

You've only got to look at the size of venue the big rock acts like Iron Maiden, Rush and Metallica play, or the size of the crowd at events like the Download festival to see that there is still a large audience out there.

Its just not trendy...
Old July 19 2013, 02:08 PM   #6
EmoBorg
Captain

Let me say that i do listen to Hip Hop and Pop music and i do find them catchy. But however, Rock music is still the music that moves my soul. To hear Chris Connell or Brett Scallions rock vocals is something out of this world. Something spiritual.

Old July 19 2013, 02:09 PM   #7
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Define "mainstream rock".
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 02:11 PM   #8
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Rock is still pretty mainstream. It doesn't sell as well as hip hop or pop, but it's definitely way more mainstream than jazz or folk music.

I'm waiting for progressive rock to become mainstream again. By far the genre I listen to the most.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 02:21 PM   #9
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

You may be taking an American-centric view of this.

In Europe, metal (and it's many sub-genres) is frickin' huge, but most Americans haven't even heard of most of the bands.

I started getting into symphonic metal about 6 years ago. Only a few of those bands ever play in North America.

As far as we in America are concerned, all that pop garbage really is taking over radio & the charts, which makes me very happy I found other music to discover.

I think as long as you make yourself aware of other kinds of music, you can find something you like and never have to listen to the radio again (unless it's Sirius/XM, that kicks a$$).
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 02:21 PM   #10
Pingfah
Admiral

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
To hear Chris Connell or Brett Scallions rock vocals is something out of this world. Something spiritual.
I'm seeing Soundgarden in September.

I am giddy with excitement.
Old July 19 2013, 02:22 PM   #11
EmoBorg
Captain

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Like for example, the bands that charted in the 2000s.

Jimmy Eat World, Gob, Saliva, Slipkot, Fuel, Deftones, Vertical Horizon, Incubus, Default, Puddle of Mudd, Cold, Foo Fighters, Nickleback, Creed etc etc.

I know that many rock fans dislike Nickleback and Creed but i included them because they do play Rock music even though many folks dislike them.

Last edited by EmoBorg; July 19 2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old July 19 2013, 02:34 PM   #12
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
Like for example, the bands that charted in the 2000s.

Jimmy Eat World, Gob, Saliva, Slipkot, Fuel, Deftones, Vertical Horizon, Collective Soul, Default, Puddle of Mudd, Cold, Foo Fighters, Nickleback, Creed etc etc.

I know that many rock fans dislike Nickleback and Creed but i included them because they do play Rock music even though many folks dislike them.
I recognize about half those names. Still it doesn't define what "mainstream rock" is.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 02:40 PM   #13
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

You know why pop and rap dominate the pop charts?

Because the people who addictive-iTunes-click like pop and rap.

There's plenty of great rock coming out, just most of it isn't showing up on the pop charts because so few of its fans (18-35 guys) spend money on music. Arcade Fire, The National, TV On The Radio, LCD Soundsystem. They're called 'indie' but their new albums debut in the top ten and their concerts fill the venue.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 02:46 PM   #14
Pingfah
Admiral

I recognize about half those names. Still it doesn't define what "mainstream rock" is.
It's whatever happens to be popular at the time I suppose. Nobody would have called Nirvana or Pearl Jam mainstream rock when they first appeared, but after selling 50 squillion albums, how can they be anything else?

Rock and heavy guitar music in general needs another shot in the arm like Grunge/90s alt rock gave it. It will survive, but it won't be a major mainstream force until that happens.
Old July 19 2013, 02:50 PM   #15
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Finding a new band to be a fan of is no longer as easy as just listening to the radio a lot, like it used to. You have to hunt sadly, but there are some amazing things being done with rock music right now. Currently, I'm obsessed with Devin Townsend's music. I also discovered this week a cool band called Unitopia, who remind me a lot of Peter Gabriel era Genesis.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote