CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old July 19 2013, 12:14 AM   #46
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

Forbin wrote: View Post
But B'nanna and Insaneway leaping up and down like schoolgirls shrieking "Warp particles! WARP particles!" upset me on so many levels.
^^^ That single thing turned me off VOY from the get-go.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 12:22 AM   #47
Brown-Eyed Ghoul
Vice Admiral

Bad thoughts wrote: View Post
I found Spock's quip in "Patterns of Force" to be perfectly in line with Yiddish humor, where the logic of stereotypes and the structure of racism was often ridiculed. If you don't believe me, watch Blazing Saddles.
Indeed, I find it hard to believe anyone would take that line as anything but a joke -- regardless of whether or not you knew that Nimoy and Shatner are both Jewish.

As for the worst line of dialogue in the entire franchise: Practically any line spoken by Bele and Lokai in "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield." About as subtle as an elephant fart.

Last edited by Brown-Eyed Ghoul; July 19 2013 at 12:40 AM.
Brown-Eyed Ghoul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 12:49 AM   #48
Cmdr.Druss
Lieutenant

Kirk - "NO MORE BLAH BLAH"
Cmdr.Druss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 12:56 AM   #49
Sran
Fleet Captain

Any line spoken by Shinzon.

--Sran
Old July 19 2013, 01:09 AM   #50
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
"Get this cheese to sickbay!"
I loved that line. It's absurd.

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
I find it hard to believe that was intended to be a joke, since it only works as a joke when you know both actors are jews! Even then, I doubt many people actually find it funny. And for anyone who doesn´t know that, it remains a very questionable line, both production-wise and in-universe, IMO.
It was obviously a joke from the delivery and reaction, regardless of the off-camera context. Honestly, I don't think people were as upset about referencing Nazis in those days as they are now. WWII was a recent memory, war movies and TV shows were common...there was even a very popular sitcom on at the time about prisoners in a German POW camp.

teacake wrote: View Post
If it was that good why did she fall asleep? PLOT HOLE!!
Perhaps the part she left out about what she'd done between the reading and the falling asleep....

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Had any of the producers participated during WW II in Europe and seen the liberation of a concentration camp, Spock's line in "Patterns of Force" would have been excised in the very first draft of the screenplay for this episode.
Somebody else probably knows more about their histories, but I'm pretty sure a lot of the people making the show had fought in the war...Gene Roddenberry did. I'm guessing that you weren't born yet...but you're trying to tell people who were alive during the war--some of whom fought in it--that their attitude about the war isn't appropriate, 50 years after the fact! Maybe you should learn from them, not vice versa.

We'll have to forgive the producers of TOS and other entertainment of the era that they didn't foresee the nerdrage that would ensue generations later....

Last edited by The Dead Mixer; July 19 2013 at 01:26 AM.
The Dead Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 02:42 AM   #51
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

Danny99 wrote: View Post
Have you noticed how your boobs have started to firm up?
Beat me to it.
Ah, yes, but the second time it was said, from Data to Worf, with no break in between, was classic, and Star Trek gold.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 03:06 AM   #52
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander

Just to add a few more details about the Hogan's Heroes cast.

Shawnster wrote: View Post
Leon Askin - General Burkhalter (Austrian born, probably fled Nazi Germany)
Yes he did (well Austria) but not before being beaten up by the Gestapo and being interned in an allied French internment camp for a time because he was from Nazi Austria (regardless of the fact he was Jewish). His family was also killed in Treblinka.

Was also in a concentration camp for a time before fleeing (he was lucky it was before the Nazi extermination plan started)

Robert Clary is of special note. He was actually interned in a concentration death camp. After Hogan's Heroes ended, Clary spent time touring Canada and speaking at schools about the Holocaust.
Clary was never in the death camps but was in several concentration camps, Buchenwald being the most well known. He survived, a good portion of his family did not.
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 03:14 AM   #53
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

Stop or I'll shoot! I don't want to have to kill a woman!.
Probably not the worse line of dialogue, but one of dumbest sounding.

It's one of the most unintentionally funniest lines ever.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 03:39 AM   #54
teacock
Admiral

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
If it was that good why did she fall asleep? PLOT HOLE!!
Perhaps the part she left out about what she'd done between the reading and the falling asleep....
Jerking off to your grandmother's sex life.. stop it, you're making Beverly interesting for once!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 03:41 AM   #55
Sran
Fleet Captain

Jerking off to your grandmother's sex life.. stop it, you're making Beverly interesting for once!
That's impossible. In any case, the whole thing will turn out to be Wesley's fault.

--Sran
Old July 19 2013, 07:07 AM   #56
Push The Button
Captain

In "Encounter at Farpoint", Q appears on the bridge in an American military officer's uniform (Army or Marine Corps, I forget which now). Picard snaps at Q about the "costume" he is wearing, which I have always found to be extremely offensive, as if anyone that was serving in a uniformed service prior to the existence of the enlightened ranks of Starfleet is some kind of barbarian or crackpot. Picard never applies this judgement to his own ancestors' military service, however, most notably the Picard that served in the battle of Trafalgar. Hypocrite.

Another really bad line was uttered by (temporarily evil again) Data, proclaiming that the "Sons of Soong" were going to take over the galaxy or some other such nonsense. Ugh.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 07:19 AM   #57
Mario de Monti
Captain

Push The Button wrote: View Post
Another really bad line was uttered by (temporarily evil again) Data, proclaiming that the "Sons of Soong" were going to take over the galaxy or some other such nonsense. Ugh.
You mean "The sons of Soong have joined together. And together we will destroy the Federation!"?

Yep, that´s a good one. Reminds me only very slightly of "Join me and we can rule the galaxy as father and son!"
Old July 19 2013, 07:19 AM   #58
Push The Button
Captain

Shawnster wrote: View Post
Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
There's nothing remotely humorous to this issue. When asked to remember Holocaust suvivors usually burst out in tears for the atrocities they either witnessed or endured personally.

Had any of the producers participated during WW II in Europe and seen the liberation of a concentration camp, Spock's line in "Patterns of Force" would have been excised in the very first draft of the screenplay for this episode.

Bob
It's apparent that not everyone shared this sentiment in the 60s and 70s. While a lot of holocaust survivors do break down and cry and choose not to remember those horrid atrocities, there are some Jewish people that found humor in the situation. Consider this list of stars from the TV comedy Hogan's Heroes, a show that ran from 1965-1971 about Allied POWs in a Nazi prison camp.

]John Banner - Sgt. Shultz (Austrian born, fled Nazi Germany)
Howard Caine - Major Hochstetter (fought Nazis in the US Navy)
Leon Askin - General Burkhalter (Austrian born, probably fled Nazi Germany)
Robert Clary - Corporal LeBeau (was in the Buchenwald concentration camp)
Werner Klemperer - "Werner Klemperer's story is a bit more complicated. His father was Jewish. His mother---Lutheran. His father converted to Catholicism before the Nazi regime. Not that the Nazis cared. Anyway, Werner was brought up as a Catholic. But his father--the famous conductor--formally returned to Judaism at the age of 88."

Robert Clary is of special note. He was actually interned in a concentration death camp. After Hogan's Heroes ended, Clary spent time touring Canada and speaking at schools about the Holocaust.

Either all of those actors listed above couldn't find work and were "forced" to act on Hogan's Heroes, or they were able to accept such work without thinking it was distasteful.

Despite what we may think of joking about the Holocaust now, it wasn't uncommon to satirize the Nazi state in the late 60s. Granted, the show was about a POW camp and not a concentration camp; regardless, it was mocking an extremely dark moment in the relatively recent past.

Interestingly, Hogan's Heroes was distributed by Paramount in 1965.
Is it possible that the Nazi uniforms and paraphernalia seen in "Patterns" may also have been seen in HH? Something that I have always wondered about, since both productions were under Paramount's wing at the time. Much like the way that Floyd's Barber Shop shows up in "The City on the Edge of Forever"...

Last edited by Push The Button; July 19 2013 at 07:35 AM.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 08:01 AM   #59
Sigokat
Commander

Location: Fort Bragg, NC but from Chicago (currently deployed)

Push The Button wrote: View Post
In "Encounter at Farpoint", Q appears on the bridge in an American military officer's uniform (Army or Marine Corps, I forget which now). Picard snaps at Q about the "costume" he is wearing, which I have always found to be extremely offensive, as if anyone that was serving in a uniformed service prior to the existence of the enlightened ranks of Starfleet is some kind of barbarian or crackpot. Picard never applies this judgement to his own ancestors' military service, however, most notably the Picard that served in the battle of Trafalgar. Hypocrite.

It was a Marine Corps uniform and I remember reading somewhere years ago was that it was a replica of GEN North's uniform from when he was testifying at the Iran-Contra hearings.

But I agree with you as well. I'm in the Army and my uniform is not a costume!
Old July 19 2013, 08:07 AM   #60
Mario de Monti
Captain

If anyone is interested to further discuss the "Patterns of Force"/Nazi topic I have started a new thread, so that this thread here can serve the purpose it was originally intended for

Mario