Star Trek: Renegades Los Angeles Debut
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Shatner Show Coming To Australia
By: T'Bonz on Jul 27

Star Trek Beyond Wigs

Star Trek Beyond Adds New Cast Member

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 17 2013, 06:28 PM   #16
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: I am shocked, absolutely shocked

They could have mixed up the revolving around the sun and rotating on its access bits of trivia they learned in school.
Old July 17 2013, 07:09 PM   #17
MacLeod
Admiral

Well as we all know it takes the Earth 365.25 Days to complete one full orbit around the sun. These are basic science questions.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 07:29 PM   #18
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
I kinda wish this thread was about gambling going on in this establishment

That was my first thought as well.

"Your winnings, sir."
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 10:13 PM   #19
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
It's depressing, not only how low standards are in society, but how disinterested people are in the world around them. How can we improve the educational system when people are so apathetic about learning?
Yeah well.. sign of the times i guess when young people's idols are Kim Kardashian and the news about a royal baby make it to the front pages instead of some goofy looking scientist or other intellectuals (who often enough just get mocked).

We are to blame ourselves for this development and it begins in school and ends with our general life that has elevated consumerism above everything. It's just easier to sit yourself down in front of the TV or the computer and watch meaningless crap than crack open a book that needs concentration and thinking because we don't want to "work" after we have already put in our 8 hours daily at the actual workplace.

For me it's up to the parents to actively guide their kids early on on a good path that leads to a well rounded person but that requires effort and hard work too and success isn't guaranteed (some people just don't care about anything no matter what you do).
Old July 17 2013, 10:41 PM   #20
MacLeod
Admiral

^True parents have to play a part in teaching their children. But ask yourself this did you learn more about the world around you/hisotry at school or after school. Watching documenatries, reading about subjects which actually interest you.

It might be my memoy but how things were taught when I was at school was more or often or not done in a boring way. But in general are children these days taught or taught to pass a test so the school looks good?
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 01:24 AM   #21
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

I don't think my parents personally taught us much - my mother was poorly educated and my father was a quiet man who we didn't react with us that much. However my mother loved books and she made good and widespread choices when it came to the books she bought for us so even left to our own devices we did learn. She was also wise about toys, for example, I got a chemistry set when I was about 11 years old.

My friend said it was OK for her to have little knowledge about science and said there were areas I had little knowledge of. I asked for examples and she said driving and sports.

I said I had a basic knowledge of driving even though I have never driven a car in my life. I roughly know how a car works, what the speed limits are, some of the road rules etc. I have basic knowledge. I admit I am terrible at recognising makes of cars.

I also have some basic knowledge of sports. For example I understand scoring and rules of tennis, the rules and the team names, and some of the players, in Australian Rules football, I have some knowledge of soccer, I played field hockey at school etc.

I guess I am now going to spend all day trying to think of something that I don't have a basic knowledge of.

Edited to add - I know very little about computer programming.

Last edited by Miss Chicken; July 18 2013 at 01:41 AM.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 10:23 AM   #22
Sigokat
Commander

Location: Fort Bragg, NC but from Chicago (currently deployed)

In regards to literature, I was shocked when I mentioned having a kid's fishing tournament on base and calling it "Little Ahab's Fishing Tournament" that I was told we couldn't call it that because it was racist!! Racist because Ahab sounds like "Arab".

Neither of the two dolts had ANY idea of who Captain Ahab was and when I tried to explain it their blank stares grew even blanker. I mean its one thing if they hadn't ever read Moby Dick, but to not even recognize the name of such an iconic character from American literature was truly baffling to me.
Old July 18 2013, 10:30 AM   #23
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

^^^That is like when one official said ""It sounds like Central Collections has become a black hole" and some people became offended and asked for an apology.

How can anyone not know what a 'black hole' is?

And then there was the official who used the term "niggardly" and was accused oof racism.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 01:38 PM   #24
bbailey861
Admiral

View bbailey861's Twitter Profile

Yes, it should be classed as basic knowledge - and there is NO good excuse for your best friend not to know that. To say the reason is because she has no interest in science is just something she says to ease her own conscience.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 09:58 PM   #25
judge alba
senior street judge

I know my missus had absolutely no interest in history. for a long time she thought the falklands war was the second world war and wasnt even aware about the first world war ( the 1918 one rather then the 39-45 one she thought was the first war).
she told me history was dead and it didnt interest her.

Heck she thought that russia and the usa went to war in vietnam and in cuba.

dam did that take a lot of relearning for her

which wasn't easy bearing in mind i had convinced her the haggis was a Scottish animal that roamed the scrublands of Scotland

Her geography is just as bad thinking Israel was near Germany for years.

but on the other hand she completely baffles me with mathmatics and chemistry stuff
Firm as a mountain.
Strike as powerful as thunder.
judge alba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 06:17 AM   #26
teacake
Fleet Admiral

I have a relative who once thought the entire continent of Africa was one country.

It's funny how different dumbness bothers us differently. I am fine with doing math but when people say they can't do it it doesn't bother me. But geographical dumbness irritates me a great deal. Just the other day someone said to me, "aren't India and Indonesia the same country?" and they were at least 40.

It's true though that people absorb basic knowledge differently. One person can watch a bunch of WWII movies in childhood and know roughly what years WWII took place in. Another person can have no idea. I think I was always facts oriented and absorbed all kinds of trivia and details from vegetating in front of the tv as a kid.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 06:33 AM   #27
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

teacake wrote: View Post
I have a relative who once thought the entire continent of Africa was one country.
Didn't know you were related to Drew Carey...

Old July 19 2013, 09:50 AM   #28
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

teacake wrote: View Post
It's funny how different dumbness bothers us differently. I am fine with doing math but when people say they can't do it it doesn't bother me. But geographical dumbness irritates me a great deal.
It's the difference between not having an ability to do something versus apathy or aggressive ignorance. If somebody has trouble remembering specific facts, that doesn't bother me; if somebody says History doesn't matter, that bothers me.
Old July 19 2013, 09:52 AM   #29
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Lack of curiosity bothers me. Too much I have to say. As in, I need to get over it

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 10:07 AM   #30
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Lack of curiosity bewilders and saddens me. A life without curiosity must be empty indeed.