RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,671
Members: 24,822
Currently online: 521
Newest member: The Great Duck

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 17 2013, 06:12 PM   #241
sonak
Vice Admiral

Re: creepy encounters with cashiers

Nick086 wrote: View Post
sonak wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Bit of a WTF/H at the Wal-Mart couple hours ago: Checking out, cashier asked about something to take care of sunburns, the proceeds to pull her shirt collar down to show myself and the others in line how bad her shoulders and upper chest got burned yesterday.

her upper chest, huh? How far down did she pull her shirt, and how "upper chest" was it?

hmmm I wonder too, there use to be a young female cashier that would give male customers hugs. I was lucky enough to get a hug from her.

I bet she was popular, and helped raise sales.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 12:23 AM   #242
Nick086
Commander

Oh she was quite popular indeed....
"Just think, you'll be married to a woman who knows everything about sex. I never been with a woman like that, except of course bar girls. Not that Peggy's a bar girl, no, she just...knows what a bar girl...knows" -Bill Dauterive (King Of The Hill)
Nick086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 01:06 AM   #243
BennieGamali
Lieutenant Commander

They laugh at me. It happens quite often. Even if I've said nothing..
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain." - Roy Batty
BennieGamali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 04:02 AM   #244
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Yoda wrote: View Post
Why does race have to be part of the story for it to be mentioned? It helps paint a picture of the scene. That's not necessarily "making it a racial issue". Her age isn't really relevant either. Nor is her gender, I mean sure we are kind of stuck with the gendered pronouns, but why draw attention to it by saying "woman" instead of "person"?

I get and agree with the complaint if we're talking about actual speech if someone said the same thing but with obvious overemphasis on the word "black", but it just seems like in this case you're reading it with that emphasis where it might not actually be intended.
Thank you. Race was merely part of a larger description. Perhaps, it comes from having been a police officer or perhaps, from having been an author. Had I intended emphasis, it would have been in bold or italics.

Also, in our locale, older black folks tend to be more quiet in public. Perhaps, because they remember times when it was not safe to call attention to themselves. A few have become friends over the years, because I make a point to speak and show respect to them as elders. I am white-looking... very white looking! It was quite a culture shock to have people of color act shy around me when I moved here. I am an outgoing person and will talk to anyone who wants to talk.
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I like it when a person in line sees that I'm buying only a couple of items and allows me to go ahead of them. Happens quite often. I always thank them at least twice.
Folks around here tend to do that, too. I love where I live. With rare exception people are polite in stores, etc.
Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
^ I stopped reading as soon as I saw that the cashier did the right thing, so I didn't even see that!
WHAT?! You. Are. Supposed. To. Hang. On. My. Every. Word.