TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 18 2013, 01:43 PM   #16
marksound
Fleet Captain

Re: Confess your dumbness

I can't get my fingers out of this puzzle thing!
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 02:25 PM   #17
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

I type really quickly in a "stream of consciouness" manner. I don't think about sentence construction at all, and make horrendous and basic spelling mistakes/typos a heck of a lot. Also, I often just completely miss typing a key word in a given sentence, but I don't see it until I review it later. Some of my posts here are truly dreadful!

I know I do it, I've done it all my life, but I'm just too dumb and impatient to slow down. Oh, using an iPad makes it MUCH worse!
Old July 18 2013, 02:30 PM   #18
Use of Time
Commodore

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
I type really quickly in a "stream of consciouness" manner. I don't think about sentence construction at all, and make horrendous and basic spelling mistakes/typos a heck of a lot. Also, I often just completely miss typing a key word in a given sentence, but I don't see it until I review it later. Some of my posts here are truly dreadful!

I know I do it, I've done it all my life, but I'm just too dumb and impatient to slow down. Oh, using an iPad makes it MUCH worse!
I'm very guilty of that as well. It has caused me to proofread just about everything I post but I still see old posts with typos and feel embarassed.
Old July 18 2013, 02:55 PM   #19
Shatinator
Commander

Use of Time wrote: View Post
LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post

I'm very guilty of that as well. It has caused me to proofread just about everything I post but I still see old posts with typos and feel embarassed.

This is totally me as well--thought I was the only one so neurotic!
Old July 18 2013, 04:33 PM   #20
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

I am completely math illiterate. It takes me forever just to figure the tip on my bill.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 05:12 PM   #21
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Sigokat wrote: View Post
I'm currently stationed in Afghanistan. They do not recognize daylight savings time here and we are also an extra half hour ahead of other time zones. I've been here for 6 months now and I still can't figure out what time it is back home in the United States because that extra 30 minutes always throws me off.
You can type, "What time is it in....?", whatever your hometown is, into Google, and it will tell you.

Hope that helps any.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 05:15 PM   #22
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I've given up on figuring out "effect" versus "affect." Which is an embarrassing brain glitch for a writer.

Also, I've got a black hole in my brain where the math should be. This is very frustrating, because so many of the things that interest me (like quantum physics) requires a gift for math to truly understand.
You're not alone my friend. Black holes and brain erosion are what is SUPPOSED to happen when you try to figure out math of any kind.

I lost the last of my brain to "simple" (yeah, right) addition and subtraction well over thirty years ago.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 05:56 PM   #23
Third Nacelle
Captain

When I watch the financial/economic portion of the news, I only understand about 10% of what is being reported. I really have no idea how money works.

I've never been entirely certain what Escrow means, but when I bought my condo, I put money in it.

I like wine, but I really don't know anything about it (other than it tastes grapey with boozy undertones). I always just order the bottle whose price is closest to the average of the wine list.

I know even less about beer. (But I'm an expert on hard liquor & cocktails)

I never have any idea what's going on with most sports. If I'm watching a game at someone's house, I just act excited when everybody else does.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 06:26 PM   #24
propita
Rear Admiral

I had heard the word "brooch" (a decorative pin) pronounced with an "oo" sound somewhere, not the same as "broach" (to broach a topic)--then pronounced it with the "oo" sound in law school. And got laughed at. I was soooooo embarrassed.

How was I supposed to know it was not pronounced as it looked?

My other problem? I have no censor sometimes when I speak. There is not pre-thinking before speaking, the words just...come out and I literally have no idea what I'm going to say. I was told that I was well beyond "blunt." I have improved over the decades, but there are/have been times when I literally have a "did I just say that out loud?" moment. I always tried to be very polite to compensate, and became known for saying the most outrageous things very politely. I'm told it's an actual "thing" (a condition or whatever) and not just me being rude, which is why repeated efforts over the decades have had some effect.

Grape: Things are affected by something. Or, things have an effect on other things.

Auntie: Simple way to figure a tip? Double the tax. Here in CA, that'll give about 16/17% tip. Triple it if your tax is lower.

Third Nacelle: An escrow account is basically a holding cell for your money when you buy a home. You're showing good faith by putting up the money, but the seller doesn't get to just take it yet--so if the sale falls through, the money is returned to you and you don't have to fight the seller for it. When a home is "in escrow," the sale and transfer is under way, but it can still fall through. Usually some condition is unmet or the appraised value isn't high enough for the bank to lend that much money.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 06:31 PM   #25
Jack Frost
Commodore

duuuuh, waht?

Seriously, some of Edison's oldest bulbs burn brighter than me. Well, actually that's not true. Intelligence is present but getting it to the surface can be problematic.
Jack Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 07:20 PM   #26
Third Nacelle
Captain

propita wrote: View Post
I have no censor sometimes when I speak. There is not pre-thinking before speaking, the words just...come out and I literally have no idea what I'm going to say.
I have the opposite problem. Everything I say has to be edited and rehearsed in my head a couple times before it comes out. I have trouble with group conversations because by the time I figure out what I'm going to say, the conversation has often moved on.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 07:24 PM   #27
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

auntiehill wrote: View Post
I am completely math illiterate. It takes me forever just to figure the tip on my bill.
One of my daughters is mathematically challenged as well. I taught her this trick for tipping.

Look at the total of he bill (78.53 for example).

Drop the rightmost digit, and adjust the sign in your head (7.85).

Round up to the next dollar, it never hurts to tip a little over (8.00)

If giving 15%, half that number and add it back ( 8.00 / 2 = 4.00. 8.00 + 4.00 = 12)

20% you double it and add it back. ( 8.00 * 2 = 16.00 )

She doesn't even need the tip calculator on her phone for tips now.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 09:11 PM   #28
hux
Lieutenant Commander

everyone has their blind spots

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnXKVY-_i2c

hux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 09:14 PM   #29
Jinglekitty
Captain

I would be lost without spell check.
Old July 18 2013, 10:22 PM   #30
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I've given up on figuring out "effect" versus "affect." Which is an embarrassing brain glitch for a writer.
It's not that difficult, really. Just remember that if it's a verb, it's probably "affect." If it's a noun, it's almost certainly "effect."

The exceptions to that general rule -- well, that's what Google is for.

Jiangnan Freak wrote: View Post
i still don't know how to shave properly. There is always some left that stands out.
Are you talking about your face?

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
When I was in college, I took a literature independent study with 2 or 3 other people. I wasn't paying attention and my professor said something about a "shim" meaning a literary term (still don't know what it is though).
I always thought a shim was a thin piece of metal or wood that you put between a thing and another thing, to adjust spacing or level or whatever.

I kind of like the idea of making it a gender-neutral pronoun, though.

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
When I watch the financial/economic portion of the news, I only understand about 10% of what is being reported. I really have no idea how money works.
I hear you. When it comes to anything more complicated than my checking account, I'm an economic illiterate.
I like wine, but I really don't know anything about it (other than it tastes grapey with boozy undertones).
I like a glass of wine with dinner every now and then, but I couldn't tell you the difference between a Cabernet Sauvignon and cabbage juice.
I never have any idea what's going on with most sports. If I'm watching a game at someone's house, I just act excited when everybody else does.
The only sport I can follow is baseball. Everything else is just a bunch of guys running around chasing a ball or a puck or something.