Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old July 18 2013, 03:46 PM   #31
Shatinator
Commander

Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
I think by far the worst line is Spock in Patterns of Force, saying to Kirk as he puts on a Nazi uniform (an SS uniform, no less):

"You should make a very convincing Nazi"

Attesting his own Captain, that he´d be convincing as a Nazi is beyond comprehension to me. Next to that, all the silly jokes or badly written bits and pieces pale by comparison, IMHO.
I concur. He didn't say "that [uniform] should make a very convincing Nazi".
What he actually did was insult his captain who had never revealed any kind of behaviour that could remotely qualify such a tasteless remark.

Unfortunately, I think Mr. Spock is also the offender here delivering other "worst lines" of dialogue. All that illogical "time travel" mumbojumbo gets me every time - from the first season of TOS to the fourth movie.

Especially considering how great "The Twilight Zone" dealt with the "time travel" scene in a logical and philosophical manner.

Bob
Wow, that is surprising so by what you detail above, EVERYTHING dealing with our beloved Mister Spock and the curious phenomenon of time travel you have hated from 1966 - 1986.

Guess you loved him in his return visit; "Red Matter" Greatest Hits Tour of 2009!!
Old July 18 2013, 04:02 PM   #32
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Bad thoughts wrote: View Post
I found Spock's quip in "Patterns of Force" to be perfectly in line with Yiddish humor, where the logic of stereotypes and the structure of racism was often ridiculed. If you don't believe me, watch Blazing Saddles.

ETA: For that matter, watch the Daily Show.
That may be, and I have no problem with that in a comedy like "Blazing Saddles". But I don´t think "Patterns of Force" qualifies as a light or comedic episode like "The Trouble with Tribbles" or "I, Mudd". Its theme was quite serious and a minute after Spock´s line he and Kirk where being whipped. In that context I just don´t see this line as a joke, but of course YMMV

Mario
A great joke? No, it wasn't. It's more of a groaner. However, I don't know why it should be considered immediately offensive, given the tendency in Jewish comedy to make light of very dark matters.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 04:58 PM   #33
Roboturner913
Lieutenant Commander

Spock's line is nothing more than a poke at Shatner's blonde-haired, Nordic alpha male appearance. Hardly a big deal.
Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 04:59 PM   #34
dub
Fleet Captain

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post

And I love that movie.
This. And I love the first half of the movie. It started going downhill for me in the minutes leading up to the yell, but as soon as this happened it was the point of no return for me.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 05:04 PM   #35
Shatinator
Commander

I found Spock's quip in "Patterns of Force" to be perfectly in line with Yiddish humor, where the logic of stereotypes and the structure of racism was often ridiculed. If you don't believe me, watch Blazing Saddles.

ETA: For that matter, watch the Daily Show.
That may be, and I have no problem with that in a comedy like "Blazing Saddles". But I don´t think "Patterns of Force" qualifies as a light or comedic episode like "The Trouble with Tribbles" or "I, Mudd". Its theme was quite serious and a minute after Spock´s line he and Kirk where being whipped. In that context I just don´t see this line as a joke, but of course YMMV

Mario
A great joke? No, it wasn't. It's more of a groaner. However, I don't know why it should be considered immediately offensive, given the tendency in Jewish comedy to make light of very dark matters.

Agreed. I didn't learn of William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy Jewish background for years after watching and found this comment / dry humor of Spock quite humerous, so I do not think that plays into the enjoyment at all. To me it is the juxtaposition that through irony makes it funny.

But humor by definition is subjective.
Old July 18 2013, 05:06 PM   #36
Roboturner913
Lieutenant Commander

Bashir in a season one episode of DS9. He's talking to Jadzia about staying up to work late, and he says to her very inappropriately something like:

"I can think of much better ways to keep you up all night"

Ewwww
Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 08:16 PM   #37
The Stig
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
"For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals. " Uhura to Kirk, ST:XI

I freaking HATE that line. It just sounds over the top crass.
The problem with the line is that the PG-rating of Trek toned it down to the point of stupidity.

What would have clearly said, had the rating been R, was "For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only fucks sheep."

"You have no idea how much I'm restraining myself from knocking you on your ass." Archer to T'Pol, who he's just met, in front of his and her superior officers. What a wanker.
That line was possibly the pinnacle of Star Trek Enterprise. It's all downhill from there.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 08:20 PM   #38
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Have you noticed how your boobs have started to firm up?
Beat me to it.
Old July 18 2013, 08:24 PM   #39
ToddKent
Captain

View ToddKent's Twitter Profile

"I'm with Starfleet. We don't lie"

Followed up with beardless-Riker's smug nod of approval.
ToddKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 08:25 PM   #40
The Stig
Rear Admiral

ToddKent wrote: View Post

Christ, S1 and 2 TNG was terrible.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 08:28 PM   #41
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

ToddKent wrote: View Post

Is that from the episode when the sexy people were going to kill Wesley, where he was supposed to evaluate a pleasure planet for kids?
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 08:33 PM   #42
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

"For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals. " Uhura to Kirk, ST:XI

I freaking HATE that line. It just sounds over the top crass.
Yeah, that line stinks bigtime, it starts okay and then goes way wrong. They really should've found another way to end that line.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 10:32 PM   #43
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Shatinator wrote: View Post
Wow, that is surprising so by what you detail above, EVERYTHING dealing with our beloved Mister Spock and the curious phenomenon of time travel you have hated from 1966 - 1986.
I didn't say I hated it, but the time travel concepts presented in Star Trek until finally TNG's "Time's Arrow" came along are simply illogical, yet presented by television's character most famous for "logic". The irony is somewhat delicious.

The SS people wearing "Kirk's" uniform in "Patterns of Force" were in charge of ensuring that the concentration camp slave laborers were literally and systematically worked to death!

There's nothing remotely humorous to this issue. When asked to remember Holocaust suvivors usually burst out in tears for the atrocities they either witnessed or endured personally.

Had any of the producers participated during WW II in Europe and seen the liberation of a concentration camp, Spock's line in "Patterns of Force" would have been excised in the very first draft of the screenplay for this episode.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 10:42 PM   #44
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Roboturner913 wrote: View Post
Spock's line is nothing more than a poke at Shatner's blonde-haired, Nordic alpha male appearance. Hardly a big deal.
You'd make a great Aryan, bitch.

Yeah I think that was basically it.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 11:35 PM   #45
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
There's nothing remotely humorous to this issue. When asked to remember Holocaust suvivors usually burst out in tears for the atrocities they either witnessed or endured personally.

Had any of the producers participated during WW II in Europe and seen the liberation of a concentration camp, Spock's line in "Patterns of Force" would have been excised in the very first draft of the screenplay for this episode.

Bob
It's apparent that not everyone shared this sentiment in the 60s and 70s. While a lot of holocaust survivors do break down and cry and choose not to remember those horrid atrocities, there are some Jewish people that found humor in the situation. Consider this list of stars from the TV comedy Hogan's Heroes, a show that ran from 1965-1971 about Allied POWs in a Nazi prison camp.

]John Banner - Sgt. Shultz (Austrian born, fled Nazi Germany)
Howard Caine - Major Hochstetter (fought Nazis in the US Navy)
Leon Askin - General Burkhalter (Austrian born, probably fled Nazi Germany)
Robert Clary - Corporal LeBeau (was in the Buchenwald concentration camp)
Werner Klemperer - "Werner Klemperer's story is a bit more complicated. His father was Jewish. His mother---Lutheran. His father converted to Catholicism before the Nazi regime. Not that the Nazis cared. Anyway, Werner was brought up as a Catholic. But his father--the famous conductor--formally returned to Judaism at the age of 88."

Robert Clary is of special note. He was actually interned in a concentration death camp. After Hogan's Heroes ended, Clary spent time touring Canada and speaking at schools about the Holocaust.

Either all of those actors listed above couldn't find work and were "forced" to act on Hogan's Heroes, or they were able to accept such work without thinking it was distasteful.

Despite what we may think of joking about the Holocaust now, it wasn't uncommon to satirize the Nazi state in the late 60s. Granted, the show was about a POW camp and not a concentration camp; regardless, it was mocking an extremely dark moment in the relatively recent past.

Interestingly, Hogan's Heroes was distributed by Paramount in 1965.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote