TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old July 18 2013, 04:52 AM   #1
ToddPence
Fleet Captain

The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchise

My vote goes to the Enterprise second season episode "A Night in Sickbay". After Captain Jonathan Archer's dog Porthos takes ill after inexplicably accompanying Archer on a delicate diplomatic mission, and offending the natives by urinating on their sacred trees, Archer delivers the following ultimatum:

"If anything happens to Porthos, I'LL be the one one watering their Alvera Trees!!"

Seriously, did Archer just threaten to piss on a planet as a means of retaliation? That's something not even Kirk ever thought of!

Speaking that line surely must have been an even greater embarrassment to Scott Backula than all those Quantum Lep episodes which required him to appear onscreen in drag.
ToddPence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 06:05 AM   #2
Mario de Monti
Captain

Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

I don´t think, Archer´s line was that bad. Surely, neither Kirk nor Picard would have said that, but Archer is a different character and from a different time. The line isn´t unlike his character and we don´t know if he would actually go through with his threat - after all, he said it in a flash of anger, when Porthos´ life was in danger.

For me it is difficult to choose one "worst line", since there are so many silly, stupid and redundant lines being said over the decades. From the TNG movies alone there could be several examples. But for the sheer implications, I think by far the worst line is Spock in Patterns of Force, saying to Kirk as he puts on a Nazi uniform (an SS uniform, no less):

"You should make a very convincing Nazi"

Attesting his own Captain, that he´d be convincing as a Nazi is beyond comprehension to me. Next to that, all the silly jokes or badly written bits and pieces pale by comparison, IMHO.

Mario
Old July 18 2013, 06:15 AM   #3
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

"For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals. " Uhura to Kirk, ST:XI

I freaking HATE that line. It just sounds over the top crass.

"You have no idea how much I'm restraining myself from knocking you on your ass." Archer to T'Pol, who he's just met, in front of his and her superior officers. What a wanker.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 06:58 AM   #4
Tommunist
Lieutenant Commander

Whatever Trip's line was that contained the word "poop". Earth kids submitted questions to the NX-01 crew, and they recorded responses.
Something along the lines of "A poop question?!"

Now, Zefram Cochrane asking if people in the 24th century pee? That was funny...
Especially because the true answer would horrify him, and he'd mess up his warp flight on purpose to prevent it...
Tommunist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 06:58 AM   #5
sojourner
Admiral

"Get this cheese to sickbay!"
Old July 18 2013, 07:10 AM   #6
HaplessCrewman
Commander

"You're all astronauts on some kind of star trek...!"
Old July 18 2013, 07:13 AM   #7
SJK91
Ensign

I haven't seen a great deal of Star Trek yet, but after watching Star Trek: Generations, I can plainly and honestly say that Kirk's line of, "It was....fun," hurt my insides.
SJK91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 07:39 AM   #8
Third Nacelle
Captain

"His emotions suggest that he is mischievous, irreverent and somewhat brazen."
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 07:52 AM   #9
Josan
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Josan

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
For me it is difficult to choose one "worst line", since there are so many silly, stupid and redundant lines being said over the decades. From the TNG movies alone there could be several examples. But for the sheer implications, I think by far the worst line is Spock in Patterns of Force, saying to Kirk as he puts on a Nazi uniform (an SS uniform, no less):

Attesting his own Captain, that he´d be convincing as a Nazi is beyond comprehension to me. Next to that, all the silly jokes or badly written bits and pieces pale by comparison, IMHO.

Mario
That line, delivered from one Jew to another, is hilarious. It's a joke as is clearly obvious from Shatner's/Kirk's facial expression.
Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love
Josan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 09:00 AM   #10
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

And I love that movie.
Old July 18 2013, 09:34 AM   #11
Mario de Monti
Captain

Josan wrote: View Post

Mario
That line, delivered from one Jew to another, is hilarious. It's a joke as is clearly obvious from Shatner's/Kirk's facial expression.
I find it hard to believe that was intended to be a joke, since it only works as a joke when you know both actors are jews! Even then, I doubt many people actually find it funny. And for anyone who doesn´t know that, it remains a very questionable line, both production-wise and in-universe, IMO.

Mario
Old July 18 2013, 10:16 AM   #12
Avon
Fleet Captain

"its a FAAAAKE!!!"

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 10:20 AM   #13
Jiangnan Freak
Lieutenant

Lieutenant Geordi La Forge: [about the Edo] They're wild in some ways, actually puritanical in others. Neat as pins, ultra-lawful; and they make love at the drop of a hat.
Lieutenant Tasha Yar: Any... hat.
Jiangnan Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 11:25 AM   #14
teacake
Admiral

Have you noticed how your boobs have started to firm up?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old July 18 2013, 11:27 AM   #15
teacake
Admiral

Josan wrote: View Post

Mario
I find it hard to believe that was intended to be a joke, since it only works as a joke when you know both actors are jews! Even then, I doubt many people actually find it funny. And for anyone who doesn´t know that, it remains a very questionable line, both production-wise and in-universe, IMO.

Mario
I assumed Spock was making a dry jest about the slashy role play they were engaging in during this episode.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne