Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 16 2013, 10:33 PM   #16
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Helen Noel as a Regular

I highly doubt they would have killed of a regular like Rand, especially since the episodes were frequently shown out of order.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 10:47 PM   #17
The Cubed Ho
Fleet Captain

Brief digression. NBC was dumb enough to run episodes of HOMICIDE: LIFE ON THE STREET out of order, to the degree that we discovered a former regular had died.....two weeks before his character was FOUND dead by his fellow regulars.
NBC of course was better than that in the '60s. And most series weren't serialized but stand-alones then.

PS: Great blog!
Old July 17 2013, 08:15 AM   #18
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

foxhot wrote: View Post
Kevman7987 wrote: View Post

I read or heard somewhere that had Rand not been removed from the show, many of the female crewwomen that Kirk beamed down with every now and then would have been Rand.
Agreed. She would've appeared at least ten more times, usually as part of a landing party, while staying on the ship for the bottle shows. I expect she would've not been killed off by the Kelvans either in Season Two.

(Though I did notice after that episode no yeoman ever beamed down again and few if any were utilized for Season Three...)
Rand was definitely part of the crew in Galileo 7 and would have replaced Uhura on the planet in CotEoF, as well as most of the yeomen of the week. She was also cited in an early draft of the Trouble with Tribbles. They didn't use yeomen that often outside of season one but I think it would have been cool if they had kept her around for a couple of episodes per season.

It was more unusual to kill regular characters in the sixties but it would have been an amazing shock if they had killed Rand instead of a nameless redshirt!

The video release of Babylon 5 had two episodes on in the wrong order, revealing the identity of the traitor before Divided Loyalties could be watched.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 06:27 PM   #19
The Cubed Ho
Fleet Captain

And had Rand, or any other TOS regular bought it, there's no way the end of the episode would be so hunky-dory. (The sole mention of the yeoman's last name occurred 30 seconds after she died.)
Old July 17 2013, 07:51 PM   #20
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

And had Rand, or any other TOS regular bought it, there's no way the end of the episode would be so hunky-dory. (The sole mention of the yeoman's last name occurred 30 seconds after she died.)
Kirk would have kept her beehive in his quarters as an eternal memento. Well, ok, the powder that used to be her beehive.

Old July 17 2013, 09:14 PM   #21
feek61
Captain

It was also suppose to be Rand in "What are Little Girls Made Of?" instead of Chapel.
Old July 17 2013, 11:27 PM   #22
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

feek61 wrote: View Post
It was also suppose to be Rand in "What are Little Girls Made Of?" instead of Chapel.
That's the first time I've heard that, although they did toy a bit too much with Chapel's affections, making her pine over Spock few episodes before or after, depending on air date order. If it's true, it's a shame. I rather liked Rand and a lot of development opportunities were lost. I do like guest crew too, I just lament the fun ones that only appear once.

Old July 18 2013, 06:50 AM   #23
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Rand definitely had more chemistry with Sulu but she was more like his fag hag.
Was that language really necessary? And you're conflating the actor with the character re Sulu.
MauriceNavidad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 07:34 AM   #24
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
Rand definitely had more chemistry with Sulu but she was more like his fag hag.
Was that language really necessary? And you're conflating the actor with the character re Sulu.
I'm a fag and I've had plenty of hags over the years. I've never viewed the phrase negatively, more tongue in cheek - take a leaf out of Uhura's book or we'll never get there! Personally, I dunno if Sulu is straight or bi, it never came up, but his friendship with Rand was camp and cheeky. It would have been nice to see more of that in TOS.

Old July 19 2013, 06:00 AM   #25
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Personally, I dunno if Sulu is straight or bi, it never came up, but his friendship with Rand was camp and cheeky. It would have been nice to see more of that in TOS.
It came up obliquely in "Mudd's Women" when he says "How I noticed." And it literally came up in ST:TMP when Ilia enters the bridge, to Sulu's distress.

I think the only aired events that call the character's interests into question are:
  • The way he cradled Chekov's head in "The Tholian Web," which most straight guys would not do.
  • The scene in "The Way to Eden" when he zinged a hot girl with "How do you know what I want?" Most straight guys feel like it goes without saying, she knows what we want.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 01:40 PM   #26
The Cubed Ho
Fleet Captain

When that scene in THE WAY TO EDEN was played two years back in MSTK3000-style during the Shore Leave convention, one of the three silhouettes commented to the hot girl, 'You're wasting your time, honey!''
Old July 19 2013, 06:13 PM   #27
The Cubed Ho
Fleet Captain

Correction: MST3K.

But Kirk's picking up Chekov in DAY IN THE DOVE also seemed overly tender if unintentional.
Old July 19 2013, 06:44 PM   #28
Metryq
Captain

But Kirk's picking up Chekov in DAY IN THE DOVE also seemed overly tender if unintentional.
That's because you didn't see the out-takes where Shatner kept dropping Koenig on his head.
Old July 19 2013, 06:46 PM   #29
YJAGG
Lieutenant Commander

I dunno the fact that Kirk hooked up with her how wold Starfleet like that little factoid in Kirk's review?
YJAGG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 01:13 AM   #30
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

YJAGG wrote: View Post
I dunno the fact that Kirk hooked up with her how wold Starfleet like that little factoid in Kirk's review?
If we're still talking about Helen Noel, as far as we know Kirk never got her into the sack. She just planted a false memory in his mind using the Neural Neutralizer.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote