RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,683
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 430
Newest member: Enabran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 18 2013, 04:34 AM   #2431
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Thrawn wrote: View Post
BritishSeaPower wrote: View Post

After finishing Destiny, I was left wanting to know more about the 24th Century after those events. So I went plunging into Losing the Peace. I'm about 60 or pages in and enjoying the reflections the characters are going through. I really can't say much of a plot for the novel has taken shape yet.

My plans are to read Over a Torrent Sea, Full Circle, and A Singular Destiny, as that seems like the chronological read order of events (I know the books came out in the reverse of that order!). Hopefully I can get through all of them before the month is out. I'd like to be onto the Typhon Pact material by August, because the blurbs about The Fall are super enticing. And I haven't been this close to being current on the books in a long, long time. (Probably since Avatar first came out!?)
A Singular Destiny is probably best read before either Torrent Sea or Full Circle, actually.

Glad you're enjoying it; some good books are coming your way
Cool, thanks for the read order help Christopher & Thrawn! Should I infer a read order of Singular Destiny, Full Circle and Torrent Sea?
Old July 18 2013, 10:29 AM   #2432
Relayer1
Commodore

I think you should work towards both David R George's trilogy Rough Beasts Of Empire, Plagues Of Night and Raise The Dawn and David Mack's Cold Equations trilogy ASAP.

I cant recommend either highly enough - they are both superb !
Old July 18 2013, 11:34 AM   #2433
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Thrawn wrote: View Post

After finishing Destiny, I was left wanting to know more about the 24th Century after those events. So I went plunging into Losing the Peace. I'm about 60 or pages in and enjoying the reflections the characters are going through. I really can't say much of a plot for the novel has taken shape yet.

My plans are to read Over a Torrent Sea, Full Circle, and A Singular Destiny, as that seems like the chronological read order of events (I know the books came out in the reverse of that order!). Hopefully I can get through all of them before the month is out. I'd like to be onto the Typhon Pact material by August, because the blurbs about The Fall are super enticing. And I haven't been this close to being current on the books in a long, long time. (Probably since Avatar first came out!?)
A Singular Destiny is probably best read before either Torrent Sea or Full Circle, actually.

Glad you're enjoying it; some good books are coming your way
Cool, thanks for the read order help Christopher & Thrawn! Should I infer a read order of Singular Destiny, Full Circle and Torrent Sea?
Full Circle and Torrent Sea don't really refer to each other; you can do those in either order. In fact, the Voyager novels pretty much do their own thing starting with Full Circle, and can be read whenever you want after A Singular Destiny.

The rest have a little bit of a stronger ordering. You want to read A Singular Destiny, Over A Torrent Sea and Synthesis before hitting the first wave of Typhon Pact books which I think are best read in publication order (Zero Sum Game, Seize The Fire, Rought Beasts of Empire, Paths of Disharmony, The Struggle Within), then Indistinguishable From Magic and Fallen Gods, then the second wave of Typhon Pact books (Plagues of Night, Raise the Dawn, Brinkmanship) then the Cold Equations trilogy, then The Stuff of Dreams.

And like I said, read the Voyager novels at any point during all of that; they stand on their own. (They're also absolutely incredibly fantastic, for whatever that's worth )
Old July 18 2013, 01:53 PM   #2434
indianatrekker26
Captain

I decided to just start with the "A Time to,,," series, and re-read everything in chronological order, which ive never done before. Thanks to the trek collective's nice flowchart, it makes that doable.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 10:00 PM   #2435
BritishSeaPower
Commander

Thanks Thrawn! That really helps. I'm really only interspersing the Voyager books to break up the reading order a bit. (Much as I love Titan reading three books in a row was a bit much, same with TNG's Borg-a-pooloza!) I was using Memory Beta and the Ever-Appreciated Flowchart to figure out some semblance of a chronological order to the books just for some basic structure to the over-arching story. (I'm not crazy enough to chance Memory Beta's "Read Paragraphs 3-4 of Chapter 17 of Full Circle, then read this, then read Paragraph 5....).

Relayer, I'm highly anticipating all three of them - even if I know some of the more spoilery things - but I've done the chronological read order this far, might as well continue with it!

IndianaTrekker, I actually started, oh my, nearly 2 years ago, now, reading the DS9 Relaunch novels. (Though technically I started with Millennium) When I got to the Mission Gamma novels I started to get the itch to read through the Post-Series/Movie Era TNG novels and have read everything set around then. It's been quite the ride! I actually can't believe how quickly I've gotten through the books. I've even taken some detours into the Mirror Universe material.
Old July 19 2013, 01:08 AM   #2436
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

^ Addicting, ain't it?
Old July 19 2013, 06:38 AM   #2437
Endgame
Lieutenant Commander

Though "canon" may be controversial, I am not even exactly sure what "relaunch" means. Still, I am reading "Warchild" (ST-DS9 #7) by Esther Friesner (1994) and still going slowly. Reading more of Bible and Apocrypha. Read two items by B.H. Carroll "The Three Baptisms" and "Ecclesia" which were interesting for old religious lectures and sermons. Still working on the other two books "Modern Strategy" and "Counseling Children" -- boy is my Summer reading slow going this year.
Endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 07:17 AM   #2438
CaffeineAddict
Lieutenant Commander

Finished Plagues of Night yesterday, and started in on Raise the Dawn. I'm kind of torn between "that was awesome!" and "I can't believe he did that!". Either way, couldn't put it down at the end, and read through into Raise the Dawn way past when I should have gone to sleep.
CaffeineAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 12:01 PM   #2439
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Raise the Dawn has one of the best TrekLit endings ever. Hold on.
Old July 19 2013, 02:40 PM   #2440
indianatrekker26
Captain

IndianaTrekker, I actually started, oh my, nearly 2 years ago, now, reading the DS9 Relaunch novels. (Though technically I started with Millennium) When I got to the Mission Gamma novels I started to get the itch to read through the Post-Series/Movie Era TNG novels and have read everything set around then. It's been quite the ride! I actually can't believe how quickly I've gotten through the books. I've even taken some detours into the Mirror Universe material.
I flew through A Time to be Born/Die. I really enjoyed those. But wow, A Time to Sow starts off at a snail's pace. I'm about 100 pages in, and the its finally getting interesting.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 03:16 PM   #2441
BritishSeaPower
Commander

Endgame wrote: View Post
Though "canon" may be controversial, I am not even exactly sure what "relaunch" means.
In terms of DS9, it simply refers to when Pocket "relaunched" the DS9 book line starting with Avatar. They did away with numbering the books and began an arc-based storyline post-series. The same applies to Voyager with the four post-finale Christine Golden novels and five Kirsten Beyer novels.

The term has also been used to refer to the soft change in direction of the Next Gen novels starting with the A Time To... novels.
Old July 19 2013, 03:49 PM   #2442
Christopher
Writer

Originally, editor Marco Palmieri only intended "relaunch" to apply to the big promotional push that started off the new post-finale DS9 novel series: "relaunch" = new beginning, a single event that would kick off the new ongoing series of DS9 adventures. But as so often happens, the public confused that idea for the overlapping idea of the series itself as a whole, and so people started using "Relaunch" as a designation for any post-finale series, even well after its launch.

Thus, as far as TNG goes, I think the term "Relaunch" is generally only applied to the post-Nemesis books beginning with Resistance (or Death in Winter, depending on how one defines things).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 04:38 PM   #2443
bbailey861
Admiral

Reading an oldie, "Mudd in Your Eye", by Jerry Oltion.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 06:59 PM   #2444
Reanok
Commodore

Mudd in your Eye By Jerry Oltin is a real fun novel. I'm reading The Man of Steel movie novel by Greg Cox.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 01:04 AM   #2445
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

I'm slowly slogging through The Romulan War: To Brave the Storm, and starting to consider giving up.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote