Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old July 18 2013, 04:04 AM   #1
CharlieZardoz
Lieutenant

Was the Enterprise A actually the Yorktown?

Hi all! Thought I'd throw this one in for general discussion. It was suggested that the Enterprise A could not have been built in so quick a time that the ship was actually the Yorktown renamed. This theory however was put forth by Gene Roddenberry and I actually don't consider him the utmost authority on these matters Tbh lol. He also suggested that only a few Galaxy classes would ever be built and well we know that turned out to be untrue. Also it is very likely that Starfleet had many Constitution refits on the assembly line by the time of Star Trek IV-VI (such as the Endeavor, Ahwahnee and Emden so I'm think it was most likely a new ship and not refurbished as Roddenberry suggested. What say you all?
CharlieZardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 04:16 AM   #2
Captain Nebula
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Was the Enterprise A actually the Yorktown?

According to Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise, it was the Ti-Ho that was renamed to Enterprise-A.
Old July 18 2013, 05:37 AM   #3
Dukhat
Commodore

While there is no exact canon answer to your question, the visual evidence seems to indicate that the Enterprise-A was a brand-new ship. As for when it was actually built, probably not long before the end of Star Trek IV.

It's my personal belief that in Star Trek III, when Admiral Morrow informs the crew that the Enterprise will be decommissioned, that Starfleet had every intention of eventually building a new Excelsior class Enterprise-A to replace it. But because of "extenuating circumstances," another ship was hurriedly given the name while the Excelsior class ship would eventually be the B. Once the B was completed, the A was decommissioned and renamed something else (hey, it's a perfectly good ship, why not?)
Old July 18 2013, 06:08 AM   #4
MOSUGOJI
Lieutenant Commander

Maybe after the E-A was decommissioned it was placed in Starfleets' Museum or something. Probably in the downstairs gift shop .
MOSUGOJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 01:44 PM   #5
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

CharlieZardoz wrote: View Post
Hi all! Thought I'd throw this one in for general discussion. It was suggested that the Enterprise A could not have been built in so quick a time that the ship was actually the Yorktown renamed. This theory however was put forth by Gene Roddenberry and I actually don't consider him the utmost authority on these matters Tbh lol.
IIRC, Roddenberry proposed the idea to explain how Starfleet conveniently had another Constitution-class ship ready to go for Kirk and because Yorktown was a name originally proposed when he originally conceived Trek.
He also suggested that only a few Galaxy classes would ever be built and well we know that turned out to be untrue.
At the time TNG was introduced, the Galaxy-class was still a fairly new design. It's definitely plausible (if not logical) that at the beginning of the series, only a few were in service with more built towards the end of it. But for all intents and purposes, even with the several additional Galaxy-class ships we've seen after TNG, their numbers to other ship designs could still be considered low, IMO.
Also it is very likely that Starfleet had many Constitution refits on the assembly line by the time of Star Trek IV-VI (such as the Endeavor, Ahwahnee and Emden so I'm think it was most likely a new ship and not refurbished as Roddenberry suggested. What say you all?
Pick what theory works for you, because there definitely isn't an official answer. For me, I go with the Enterprise-A was indeed the Yorktown and that production of brand-new Constitution-class ships halted sometime prior to Star Trek II, with the refits done only to extend the life of the design by a couple of decades.
Old July 18 2013, 01:50 PM   #6
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

From Star Trek V...

SCOTTY: I think this new ship was put together by monkeys.

So, not the renamed Yorktown
Old July 18 2013, 02:01 PM   #7
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

To be fair, though, Scotty's comment still leaves room for the new Enterprise-A to have been previously the Yorktown, the Ti-Ho, or whatever.
Old July 18 2013, 02:16 PM   #8
Mario de Monti
Captain

Exactly. And it could also have been a brand new Yorktown that was just about to be commissioned when the decision was made to re-name it Enterprise.

Personally, since there´s no on-screen reason to doubt it, GR´s word is good enough for me.
Old July 18 2013, 06:03 PM   #9
lennier1
Commodore

Strange, I always thought of her as an old Constitution that had just reached the end of her refit process (similar to the problems at the beginning of TMP) and was one of the first ones to be refitted to mass-production standards instead of the 1701's testbed specs.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 06:17 PM   #10
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

^^^
It's just as valid an idea as her being an all-new build is.
Old July 18 2013, 07:13 PM   #11
Mage
Commodore

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
From Star Trek V...

SCOTTY: I think this new ship was put together by monkeys.

So, not the renamed Yorktown
When you buy a second-hand car, you still have the tendency to tell people you bought a new car, since it's new to you. Doesn't make the car new though.
Old July 18 2013, 07:52 PM   #12
vulcan redshirt
Lieutenant Commander

Perhaps the hull was originally intended to be the Starship Yorktown (or even the Ti Ho) but prior to commissioning, events dictated that it would be launched as the Enterprise instead, and possibly even rushed out into service, hence a build quality that Scotty finds less than impressive.
vulcan redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 10:50 PM   #13
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Upon closer examination I believe it's actually unlikely it's the Yorktown as we just saw that ship earlier in the movie:

CARTWRIGHT: We don't know. Get me the Yorktown.
YORKTOWN CAPTAIN: (on viewscreen) Emergency channel zero one three zero. Code red. It has been three hours since our contact with the alien Probe. All attempts at regaining power have failed.
CARTWRIGHT: It's using forms of energy we do not understand.
FEDERATION PRESIDENT: Can you protect us?
CARTWRIGHT: We are launching everything we have.
YORKTOWN CAPTAIN: (on viewscreen) Our systems engineers are trying to deploy a makeshift solar-sail. We have high hopes that this will, if successful, generate power to keep us alive.

Theoretically, everyone aboard Yorktown might have suffocated in the icy cold of space, so you had an empty starship looking for a new captain.
On the other hand Scotty's remark of the E-A being a "new ship" (in the subsequent movie) seems to contradict this idea.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 11:18 PM   #14
Saturn0660
Rear Admiral

View Saturn0660's Twitter Profile

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
YORKTOWN CAPTAIN: (on viewscreen) Our systems engineers are trying to deploy a makeshift solar-sail. We have high hopes that this will, if successful, generate power to keep us alive.

Bob
The real question is, how would a "solar-sail" generate power?
Old July 18 2013, 11:21 PM   #15
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

They made a windmill out of it