So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

I actually traded in all my individual trade paperbacks of those comics to get the Hardcover. It's a beautiful collection and the stories are excellent. I'm particularly fond of Crew and Assignment: Earth, but all of them are great.

After finishing Destiny, I was left wanting to know more about the 24th Century after those events. So I went plunging into Losing the Peace. I'm about 60 or pages in and enjoying the reflections the characters are going through. I really can't say much of a plot for the novel has taken shape yet.

My plans are to read Over a Torrent Sea, Full Circle, and A Singular Destiny, as that seems like the chronological read order of events (I know the books came out in the reverse of that order!). Hopefully I can get through all of them before the month is out. I'd like to be onto the Typhon Pact material by August, because the blurbs about The Fall are super enticing. And I haven't been this close to being current on the books in a long, long time. (Probably since Avatar first came out!?)

2. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I've decided to re-read A Singular Destiny again. I love this book, but it always makes me miss KRAD's contributions to Treklit. Come on Pocket editors! Ask him back already :klingon:

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Not really. The prologue of Over a Torrent Sea picks up just after Destiny, but the main body of the novel is set months later -- actually overlapping with Children of the Storm and ending just before The Eternal Tide.

4. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

A Singular Destiny is probably best read before either Torrent Sea or Full Circle, actually.

Glad you're enjoying it; some good books are coming your way :)

5. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ive been chugging away with my 24th century reading order. Just about done with TNG: The Last Stand. After that, I might skip ahead and FINALLY read the Typhon Pact and Cold Equations books, to get caught up in time for The Fall.

6. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Reading Second Foundation, by Isaac Asimov.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Christopher, is your new avatar the paperback cover for Only Superhuman?

8. 2of1million

2of1million Captain Captain

Just read the first chapter of Devil's Bargain by Tony Daniel. It's looking good so far. It's been a little while since I've read any Trek, so I thought I'd get back at it.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yes, thanks for noticing. It's available for preorder now and comes out in about six weeks! I'm hoping that Trek readers who didn't go for the hardcover or the e-book or the audiobook might be more willing to give the paperback a try, since it's priced the same as a Trek novel.

10. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

For what it's worth, in six weeks, you will have made a sale.:bolian:

Oh, and OT: I'm currently reading your Enterprise novel, Rise of the Federation. Good read so far.

11. BritishSeaPower

Cool, thanks for the read order help Christopher & Thrawn! Should I infer a read order of Singular Destiny, Full Circle and Torrent Sea?

12. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I think you should work towards both David R George's trilogy Rough Beasts Of Empire, Plagues Of Night and Raise The Dawn and David Mack's Cold Equations trilogy ASAP.

I cant recommend either highly enough - they are both superb !

13. Thrawn

Full Circle and Torrent Sea don't really refer to each other; you can do those in either order. In fact, the Voyager novels pretty much do their own thing starting with Full Circle, and can be read whenever you want after A Singular Destiny.

The rest have a little bit of a stronger ordering. You want to read A Singular Destiny, Over A Torrent Sea and Synthesis before hitting the first wave of Typhon Pact books which I think are best read in publication order (Zero Sum Game, Seize The Fire, Rought Beasts of Empire, Paths of Disharmony, The Struggle Within), then Indistinguishable From Magic and Fallen Gods, then the second wave of Typhon Pact books (Plagues of Night, Raise the Dawn, Brinkmanship) then the Cold Equations trilogy, then The Stuff of Dreams.

And like I said, read the Voyager novels at any point during all of that; they stand on their own. (They're also absolutely incredibly fantastic, for whatever that's worth :))

14. indianatrekker26

I decided to just start with the "A Time to,,," series, and re-read everything in chronological order, which ive never done before. Thanks to the trek collective's nice flowchart, it makes that doable.

15. BritishSeaPower

Thanks Thrawn! That really helps. I'm really only interspersing the Voyager books to break up the reading order a bit. (Much as I love Titan reading three books in a row was a bit much, same with TNG's Borg-a-pooloza!) I was using Memory Beta and the Ever-Appreciated Flowchart to figure out some semblance of a chronological order to the books just for some basic structure to the over-arching story. (I'm not crazy enough to chance Memory Beta's "Read Paragraphs 3-4 of Chapter 17 of Full Circle, then read this, then read Paragraph 5....).

Relayer, I'm highly anticipating all three of them - even if I know some of the more spoilery things - but I've done the chronological read order this far, might as well continue with it!

IndianaTrekker, I actually started, oh my, nearly 2 years ago, now, reading the DS9 Relaunch novels. (Though technically I started with Millennium) When I got to the Mission Gamma novels I started to get the itch to read through the Post-Series/Movie Era TNG novels and have read everything set around then. It's been quite the ride! I actually can't believe how quickly I've gotten through the books. I've even taken some detours into the Mirror Universe material.

16. Thrawn

^ Addicting, ain't it? :)

17. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Though "canon" may be controversial, I am not even exactly sure what "relaunch" means. Still, I am reading "Warchild" (ST-DS9 #7) by Esther Friesner (1994) and still going slowly. Reading more of Bible and Apocrypha. Read two items by B.H. Carroll "The Three Baptisms" and "Ecclesia" which were interesting for old religious lectures and sermons. Still working on the other two books "Modern Strategy" and "Counseling Children" -- boy is my Summer reading slow going this year.

18. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Finished Plagues of Night yesterday, and started in on Raise the Dawn. I'm kind of torn between "that was awesome!" and "I can't believe he did that!". Either way, couldn't put it down at the end, and read through into Raise the Dawn way past when I should have gone to sleep.

19. Thrawn

Raise the Dawn has one of the best TrekLit endings ever. Hold on. :)

20. indianatrekker26

I flew through A Time to be Born/Die. I really enjoyed those. But wow, A Time to Sow starts off at a snail's pace. I'm about 100 pages in, and the its finally getting interesting.