Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: What's your favorite Titan novel??
Taking Wing 11 14.47%
The Red King 5 6.58%
Orion's Hounds 37 48.68%
Sword Of Damocles 10 13.16%
Destiny 12 15.79%
Over A Torrent Sea 11 14.47%
Synthesis 19 25.00%
Seize The Fire 2 2.63%
Fallen Gods 2 2.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 10 2013, 04:17 AM   #31
Elias Vaughn
Captain

Re: Your favorite TITAN novel....

Mage wrote: View Post
I actually re-read Over A Torrent Sea last week, and although I like it, the science was getting in the way for me in that one. Usually, I love how Christopher is able to blend science and fiction so well together, but in this one, it really was a bit to much for me.
That's actually why I loved it, I think.

What I wouldn't give for a Trek book that's entirely sciencey, with little drama or conflict to get in the way of it. It'd never happen, and I wouldn't want EVERY Trek book to be like that, but one or two? Heck yeah.
Elias Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 08:20 PM   #32
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Synthesis gets top spot from me. I was spellbound. I also want to say that I enjoyed the unpopular-around-here Typhon Pact:Seize the Fire and Titan: Fallen Gods a great deal.
Old July 10 2013, 09:15 PM   #33
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

Elias Vaughn wrote: View Post
I actually re-read Over A Torrent Sea last week, and although I like it, the science was getting in the way for me in that one. Usually, I love how Christopher is able to blend science and fiction so well together, but in this one, it really was a bit to much for me.

What I wouldn't give for a Trek book that's entirely sciencey, with little drama or conflict to get in the way of it. It'd never happen, and I wouldn't want EVERY Trek book to be like that, but one or two? Heck yeah.
+1

You know those novels that start with 'Captains Log - we have spent the last two weeks studying the Parmesan Nebula...' when something more chasey and shooty happens ?

Let's not have the chasing and shooting. As long as theres plenty of character stuff and interesting science going on, let's have two weeks studying the Parmesan Nebula !

And yes, I did vote for 'Over A Torrent Sea' - not a coincidence...
Old July 10 2013, 09:46 PM   #34
Mage
Commodore

As do I, like I said. I love the perfect blend between science and fiction in Christopher's work. But, for me personally, it was a bit to heavy towards the science in OATS. Then again, oceanography doesn't really appeal to me at all, so that could have left me biased. But I loved the science in GTTS for example, or in The Buried Age.
Old July 10 2013, 10:53 PM   #35
Reanok
Commodore

Synthesis and over a torrent sea.Also Sword of Damocles
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 04:12 PM   #36
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

Relayer1 wrote: View Post

+1

You know those novels that start with 'Captains Log - we have spent the last two weeks studying the Parmesan Nebula...' when something more chasey and shooty happens ?

Let's not have the chasing and shooting. As long as theres plenty of character stuff and interesting science going on, let's have two weeks studying the Parmesan Nebula !

And yes, I did vote for 'Over A Torrent Sea' - not a coincidence...
I totally agree, I would love to read something like that.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 05:12 PM   #37
Julio Angel Ortiz
Fleet Captain

Titan is my favorite TrekLit series, and has been from the start. I agree that the last two books have not been up to the standard set by previous entries.

I love the series, but I selected Orion's Hounds (one of my favorite novels ever; nails the strange new worlds concept for the series), Sword of Damocles (love time-twisty tales), and Synthesis. But really, I love most of them.

I'm very much looking forward to Swallow's The Poisoned Chalice. I want to see the series return to form.
Old July 17 2013, 08:09 PM   #38
CaffeineAddict
Lieutenant Commander

I hope we see a bit more of the Will Riker we've known all these years...in many of the novels he seems to be so weighed down with command decisions that we never really see the old jovial leadership style from when he was first officer.
CaffeineAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 08:11 PM   #39
Tino
Captain

I totally loved "Orion's Hounds" and "Over A Torrent Sea". They are totally sci-fi with lots of strange new worlds and exploration. Bennett reads write such novels like no other.
Tino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 08:20 PM   #40
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

CaffeineAddict wrote: View Post
I hope we see a bit more of the Will Riker we've known all these years...in many of the novels he seems to be so weighed down with command decisions that we never really see the old jovial leadership style from when he was first officer.
Am I alone in wanting to see Thomas Riker again ?

I know Titan may not be the ideal setting (TNG or DS9 is a better fit in many ways) but he needs to be where Will and Deanna are at first.

I think he could be incorporated in one of the other titles as a regular once he was 'back'.
Old July 18 2013, 01:21 AM   #41
JD
Admiral

You're not alone. I keep hoping we'll at least find out if he survived the Dominion War or not.
Old July 18 2013, 10:40 AM   #42
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
You're not alone. I keep hoping we'll at least find out if he survived the Dominion War or not.
I don't think anything has happened to him that couldn't be retconned by an imaginative author. I'm thinking of a novel like Full Circle that covered a substantial period to tell his story and return, then folding him back into the ongoing novelverse as has been done with other characters in Cast No Shadow and Unspoken Truth.

I'd like to see him back in Starfleet like the Voyager Maquis, maybe on DS9 or even serving on a ship like The Robinson or The Aventine.

It's really down to author interest. The campaign starts here...

Last edited by Relayer1; July 18 2013 at 10:51 AM.
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 10:14 PM   #43
Elias Vaughn
Captain

Thomas Riker died, didn't he? In one of PAD's novels?
Elias Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 10:47 PM   #44
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

Tom shows up in Imzadi II where he is freed and then summarily reimprisoned by story's end. As far as I recall he isn't dead there.

He also shows up in the Slings & Arrows short stories, in something that is a little incongruous with Imzadi.
Old July 18 2013, 11:10 PM   #45
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

PAD's stuff isn't generally binding anyway...