Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 4 2013, 06:20 PM   #16
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Re: The Return of Whose Line is it Anyway?

Drew is a standup comedian, and not an improv comedian (and yes, there's a difference - Greg Proops is the only one who could easily pull off both skill sets IMO). By his own admission Drew was a poor improvisor and the laughs he got were as much the audience laughing at him not being able to hold a character, versus the sorts of gags his co-stars got. He was included in a game at the end at the studio's request IIRC, as they wanted to capitalize on his name.

[Aside: After the DCS was done Drew actually started taking acting and improv lessons, and you could see in some of the Whose Line follow-up attempts that he had markedly improved as an improvisor. He always made a better host though IMO, and his success on TPIR is proof positive that this is where his groove is]

Anyway, I'm delighted that the show is back and with the original US cast, albeit a good decade-plus along. The show actually stopped filming in 2001, and ABC had enough in the can to show new episodes until 2007 (they even mistakenly included different cuts of the same games in some episodes!); they used every single game they had instead of just the best ones as the UK version did, and in the later seasons it showed. Having seen many of the show's cast in various improv-related stuff in the interm, it's easy to see that they still have it. I'm guessing that the guest of the week will include some younger talent thought to keep it fresh.

While I was always into theatre improvisation, it was Whose Line that really got me on the path to making it a second career. I currently manage almost 20 improvisors in three cities, and perform in two other groups as well. Despite this, most hardcore improvisors still look down on Whose Line as a form of cheap, go-for-the-laughs improvisation for the masses. Anyone who's been to a theatre improv show knows that Whose Line isn't as compatible with the more common forms of improvisation out there.

Still, for better or worse WL is responsible for popularizing improv for the TV-watching audiences at large; I do hope this new edition will bring the fire back.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...

Last edited by Mark_Nguyen; March 4 2013 at 08:51 PM.
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 08:17 PM   #17
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

That's rather impressive. I got introduced to Improv by way of the rink style improv in drama class in high-school and I've always liked it since. But yeah, I've always felt Drew was a little off in this which is why I liked the British version better.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 09:44 PM   #18
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I read it and rolled my eyes at the host. I can't stand Aisha Tyler. I think its clear they just picked the first free female they could find. She just doesn't have fun feeling to her. I hope she is next to useless like Drew was.
Old March 4 2013, 10:01 PM   #19
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

I only hope they don't "force" her to be in a game as Drew was, and just keep her at the desk as Clive was. I didn't know Aisha Tyler until she showed up on Talking Dead last night, but she seems quick enough to host.

No slight to Drew - he's a great host, but his background is in standup. Without getting too deep into the theory of improvisation, in standup you are in solo control on stage, whereas in improv it's about relinquishing control to the team and the scene. And it showed - Drew was only ever playing Drew on Whose Line, even in the later seasons when he was endowed with a character. Speaking from experiencee, I know it's MUCH more fun to improvise with someone who's actually IMPROVISING. If you dig up some of the later improv stuff he's done (Green Screen Show, Improvaganza), Drew is MUCH better at it.

Drew's chemistry with the gang was great, but the playful antagonism was doubtless rooted in the differences in background he had with the trained improvisors he hosted. I hope Aisha can use her own background to get laughs as a result of improv rather than just watching her screw up on stage as Drew usually did.

Mark

Old March 6 2013, 06:24 PM   #20
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I agree Drew was pretty weak with the improv stuff. But Colin and Ryan more than made up for him! I especially loved when they would do the Irish Drinking Song, and Colin would absolutely destroy everyone with the last verse!
Old March 6 2013, 07:38 PM   #21
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
Despite this, most hardcore improvisors still look down on Whose Line as a form of cheap, go-for-the-laughs improvisation for the masses.
So they condemn it for being exactly what it was intended to be from day one? Okay...

As for Aisha Tyler, she's shown time and again (mostly on Talk Soup) that she gets this type of comedy. If people are basing their opinions on her appearances on crap like Friends or The Talk, you're definitely not seeing her in her element. For something more current then Talk Soup you just have to look at Archer where, even when playing the straight woman, she's hilarious as hell.

There's also this music video of hers.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 10:19 PM   #22
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

B.J. wrote: View Post
Yeah, I agree Drew was pretty weak with the improv stuff. But Colin and Ryan more than made up for him! I especially loved when they would do the Irish Drinking Song, and Colin would absolutely destroy everyone with the last verse!
Like this....

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 11:25 PM   #23
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Classic Mochrie. Also even better in context - "Meow" was a running joke for that particular epsiode:

Fun fact - for the US Whose Line they would tape for 3-4 hours and get 3-4 episodes out of it, versus the UK version where they would film for 2-3 hours and get ONE episode out of it. After the stopped filming the US version they went back to the discarded footage and managed to wring another 1-2 episodes out of each studio taping, which made up the later seasons of the show. It *did* show that they weren't using the first-cut material though, but it was a cheap way of creating mid-season filler for ABC without having to pay the actors any more. I wonder how long they were going when "Meow" came along.

Mark

Last edited by Mark_Nguyen; March 6 2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old March 7 2013, 08:43 PM   #24
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

^ Which is why Drew Carey HATES ABC. He was pissed with the way The Drew Carey Show was treated, but it's ratings were falling so he seemed to understand a little bit. But he hated the way they threw Whose Line? under the bus and just started making up random episodes without paying anyone.

So is Luara Hall coming back for the CW show?
Old March 8 2013, 04:23 AM   #25
EmoBorg
Captain

To be really honest, I am gonna miss Drew Carey in the new show. I actually liked him a lot on whose line is it anyway ? and the Drew Carey show. I know he was not an improv comic but he does make a good stand up comic and an excellent host. I am not sure about Aisha Tyler though. She is funny without doubt but i just wonder about the new dynamics involved with her as the new host and the original improv cast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySo7-zkprNo
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 03:36 AM   #26
Danny99
Vice Admiral

So I managed to catch this on what I think is a random CW New York affiliate, but I can break it down into three categories:

The Good

It's great to see Ryan, Colin, Wayne and Laura Hall back. All of them are a bit older and look it, but they have not dulled in their abilities at all. Each of them had at least one moment tonight where they made me laugh out loud and it felt just like the good old days.

The Bad

Aisha Tyler as host. It's like she's trying way too hard to fit in with the cool kids. Almost like the new kid at school trying to make a name for herself. I really hope she comes out of it, but she did have some moments of brilliance tonight. It will take a lot to replace Drew Carey in that chair, but she is on the right track.

The Ugly

That set! It looks like they were going for a retro homage to the British version set, but it is the ugliest game show set I have ever seen!

Did anyone else catch the return tonight?
Old July 17 2013, 04:36 AM   #27
Christopher
Writer

I never much liked Carey as the host. I still miss Clive, but Tyler's an improvement on Carey. If nothing else, it's a nice change of pace to have a host who can crack dirty jokes from a female perspective and have a new kind of banter with the male-dominated regular cast. Helps even things out a little.

I'm not happy that Tyler is keeping Carey's intro line, "The show where everything's made up and the points don't matter." I hate that line every time I hear it, because it's explaining the punch line before the joke is even told, and that ruins it. It also kind of insults our intelligence. In the original show, it was quite easy to tell how arbitrary and ridiculous Clive's scores were, and the fun was being in on the joke without being told outright. I know, I know, American viewers expect game show points to count for something, but it only takes a little observation to figure out that this is different.

Not to mention that Tyler barely bothered to award any points in the first place, or to name an alleged winner. So why not just drop that conceit altogether?

It seems odd to have both a fourth weekly cast member and a celebrity guest who comes out for a couple of skits. It doesn't serve either of them well. The first guest, the really hot woman from The Walking Dead, did two games where she had to stay totally silent; I was figuring they couldn't afford to pay her speaking-role rates, until she participated in reading the credits. And then in the second episode, the kid from Glee had more to do than the woman who was nominally the fourth panelist. Why not just have the celebrity guest be the fourth panelist?

Although, really, I wasn't as fond of the US format where it was always Ryan, Colin, Wayne, and someone else. The British show was willing to mix up the cast more. The problem with always having the same three is that their material gets predictable. I turned off the TV when the Helping Hands segment started, because I've seen Ryan and Colin do the same shtick over and over and over. I did like it that they tried some new games; the "Sideways Scene" bit with them lying down was fun, and the donated-handbags improv was novel (although I doubt it was quite as random as implied; I'm sure the producers searched the contents of the bags first to make sure there'd be nothing harmful, X-rated, or illegal). But I'd like to see more variety in the contestants, get some new player dynamics going. The celeb guests help in that regard, but I've mentioned my issues with the execution of that.

So it's nice to have it back, but it's not perfect.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 06:02 AM   #28
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Anyone know if the other regulars like Greg Proops, Brad Sherwood, etc. will be back?

Christopher wrote: View Post
I turned off the TV when the Helping Hands segment started, because I've seen Ryan and Colin do the same shtick over and over and over.
Nobody ever did that sketch quite like Tony Slattery and Josie Lawrence.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 06:04 AM   #29
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I really liked the episodes, the host was fine, it's not like Drew was better, and both are useless. The jokes just felt like no a day has pasted, which is good.

I do find the fact the guy from Glee was on more than the 4th seat filler.

And the set is ugly. It's OK when in the skits and such, but when they show the whole thing it was ugly.

It's not perfect, nothing is, but I really laughed a lot and that's the point of it.
Old July 17 2013, 09:51 AM   #30
stoneroses
Rear Admiral

ThunderAeroI wrote: View Post
What ever happened to the original British host?
Clive Anderson (of whom you speak) still appears on uk tv panel shows and documentaries, as well as radio he also writes in the papers here.

In the uk we now have 'mock the week' which is more stand up than improv but it is made by the same production company.
I would not be too surprised if our version made a comeback too.
All available on YouTube et al

http://communities.msn.com/infograpismo
stoneroses is offline   Reply With Quote